Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are 914's really little 917's?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
second wind
Just a hint but I went to college in the seventies and live in Topanga, Calif. Out adjusting my headlights last night and saw a friend's truck at the local mountain bar. Stopped in for just a minute and on the way home it hit me! 914's are really little baby 917's!! Lights came out great and boy do these cars handle!! Anyone else feelin' it? gg
Steve
IMHO There closer to a 906 or 904 since both came with a flat six.
Catorse
Uh,.....No
mepstein
Tube frame, 12 cylinder, um no.
Rand
splat.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Big fat no! Might want to just pass the bar next time.
ripper911
Yes!
piratenanner.gif
second wind
Thank you ripper!! You other guys are wound a little tight today.....how about loosening up a bit? Think about it.....mid-engine Porsche in a nice square looking body. I didn't say exactly.....sheesh!!
PanelBilly
Works for me. I'm thinking this is the closest I'll ever get to driving a 917 around town
lonewolfe
There are some similarities! Perhaps the car race drivers drove home after the race.
Steve
It's a known fact the 908 drivers practiced in 914-6GT's before the Monte Carlo race. At least I thought it was that race.
Peashooter
Love Topanga! My daughter lives there up off Topanga Canyon rd. I'd like to drive mine down through there some day!
Dion
Brian Redman practiced for the Targa Florio in 914-6. Theres video some where
of him dancing on those pedals. Pretty amazing.
Ran the race I believe in a 908/3.
damesandhotrods
No. No matter how badly the marketing department would have had you believe otherwise…
Elliot Cannon
In a long race, the 917's carried 700 pounds of fuel. I'm told it didn't handle great till some weight was burned off. On the other hand my 914 handles great regardless of the fuel load. driving.gif laugh.gif
bandjoey
I Vote Yes! It's our secret racer on any back road and twisty. Fun and makes me feel out of body racing like the big boys.

I drove a boxster with a 2.7 last week and it's so tame I wouldn't buy one. Drives like a Miata ( evilgrin.gif ) and too civilized for me.
bulitt
120mph closing rate on the Mulsanne... blink.gif
PlaysWithCars
Sorry have to say 'no'. Having had the opportunity in the last month (twice actually) to see and hear a 917 in person I have say that's it's much different than our beloved 914s. The tube frame construction and that 12 cylinder engine make for quite a different car. Other than mid-engine placement not much similar.
eyesright
QUOTE(plays with cars @ Nov 20 2016, 08:58 PM) *

Sorry have to say 'no'. Having had the opportunity in the last month (twice actually) to see and hear a 917 in person I have say that's it's much different than our beloved 914s. The tube frame construction and that 12 cylinder engine make for quite a different car. Other than mid-engine placement not much similar.

Okay, no tube frame and needs 8 more cylinders but it looks about the same doesn't it? And easier to get into,...egress and price.
sb914
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Well, for the 2.0 motor at least, 917 engineer Mezger who designed the 917 motor, also had to design the 2.0 because the VW engineers claimed they could only bore/stroke their 1.7 to 1.8 max - but Mezger had other ideas & made it work.

Of course, then VW was happy to put the Mezger 2L flat 4 into their Bay Window busses for a bit more "juice"!

Also, Porsche had loads of racing experience with the Middies from the 550, 718 on up to the 917 (& beyond), & wanted to apply what they knew was better handling to a street car - ergo the 914 4 & 6 was created.

So there are a couple of more 917 ties for the 914s.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

second wind
Thank you sb914.....that picture says it all!! Of course there are some differences ...duh....but big picture and the right mental attitude we are blessed with an awesome similarity.....
gg
Mueller
QUOTE(eyesright @ Nov 21 2016, 05:37 AM) *

QUOTE(plays with cars @ Nov 20 2016, 08:58 PM) *

Okay, no tube frame and needs 8 more cylinders but it looks about the same doesn't it? And easier to get into,...egress and price.

Help fund my 2/3 scale 917 engine and you can have a 12 cylinder smile.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...565&hl=917*
struckn
A Go Cart is just a little 914.

smile.gif
Beebo Kanelle
Absolutely ! Without a Doubt.
rgalla9146
They're the same.
Except for the 500 lb, 500 hp. and 50% drag difference.
RickS
And I always thought they were closer to the 550 Spyder without the cool body lines.
GeorgeRud
Or early Boxsters ( the prototype/show car, not the finished product).Click to view attachment l
Scott S
Check out my new 930. I mean, c'mon its pretty much the same....
ripper911
QUOTE(Scott S @ Nov 22 2016, 07:24 PM) *

I might rather drive that than a 930.

But, I've never driven a 930... idea.gif
moldygreg
Since we're talking 917's.

Got to visit VRM this last Saturday as part of the PCA PNWR. Really amazing cars there.

Pictured here is chassis #17. 4.9L, flat-12. 600+hp. Top speed 220+mph.

Actually appeared in the film 'Le Mans'.

Love the Gulf Livery ... so pretty!

Got to peak in the cockpit; Cannot imagine driving with your feet over the wheels at those speeds!

Click to view attachment
porbmw
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Nov 22 2016, 07:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Scott S @ Nov 22 2016, 07:24 PM) *

I might rather drive that than a 930.

But, I've never driven a 930... idea.gif

I have biggrin.gif
The 930, despite naysayers, is rather refined...and has that surge of speed that is pretty awesome....and sounds great.
But the teener....it is light, lithe, nimble, and fun to toss around...
You need some real highway, or track, to truly enjoy the 930....
You get to enjoy the teener on any road/highway/track
Goes back to my favourite saying...."it's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow"....
Ansbacher
QUOTE(second wind @ Nov 20 2016, 05:49 PM) *

Thank you ripper!! You other guys are wound a little tight today.....how about loosening up a bit? Think about it.....mid-engine Porsche in a nice square looking body. I didn't say exactly.....sheesh!!

Second Wind: You asked for opinions; people gave them. Then you "sheeshed!" the ones that did not agree with you. So why did you ask the question in the first place? If I made a statement like - A sparrow is just like an eagle because both of them are birds - I would expect sarcastic responses.

Ansbacher
Rav914
QUOTE(porbmw @ Nov 23 2016, 09:54 AM) *

"it's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow"....

The absolute truth; and that's why the 914 fits the bill every time.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Nov 23 2016, 01:46 PM) *

QUOTE(second wind @ Nov 20 2016, 05:49 PM) *

Second Wind: You asked for opinions; people gave them. Then you "sheeshed!" the ones that did not agree with you. So why did you ask the question in the first place? If I made a statement like - A sparrow is just like an eagle because both of them are birds - I would expect sarcastic responses.

Ansbacher

I "second" that! av-943.gif
second wind
Hey.....I thought the picture was pretty much what I was talking about, and the 930/bug comparison was down right funny. Lighten up you guys!! Sheesh was a roll of the eyes for not being able to roll with a fun little concept. We're not splitting atoms here. Try to be fun for a change.....plus I totally accept people have their own opinions but don't get mad about it.
gg
Rand
Sheesh dude, we're all just poking fun here. Lighten up. You are starting to sound like 0u812.
second wind
QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 23 2016, 04:14 PM) *

Sheesh dude, we're all just poking fun here. Lighten up. You are starting to sound like 0u812.

You got it!! Happy Thanksgiving to everyone Go Buffs!!
gg
Gunn1
QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 23 2016, 06:14 PM) *

Yeah that guy was wacked
My 914
As that side by side picture a few posts back shows, they're certainly not siblings but I do think they share some traits from the same gene pool.
wayner
I think they look the same... evilgrin.gif
Seaside6
Click to view attachment
Michael N
biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

falcor75
Would be awsome to have the number on the side read 916½ smile.gif
lonewolfe
That's the Lemons race car from EASY in Emeryville.
My 914
QUOTE(Seaside6 @ Mar 16 2017, 11:56 PM) *

I'm glad you posted this ad, even Porsche thought there were similarities.
billh1963
QUOTE(My 914 @ Mar 17 2017, 07:21 AM) *

QUOTE(Seaside6 @ Mar 16 2017, 11:56 PM) *

I'm glad you posted this ad, even Porsche thought there were similarities.

Wish I had a time machine. smile.gif
stownsen914
QUOTE(sb914 @ Nov 21 2016, 10:16 AM) *

I love 914s, but I love the car on the left even more smile.gif
Marv's3.6six
Being a teenager in the early seventies I lived in Hermosa Beach around the corner from Vasek Polak Porsche on Pacific Coast Highway. My first exposure to a 914 was to see it sitting on the showroom floor right next to an single seat racer. The similarities were striking, engine in the middle, wheels out on the corners, the size and dimensions being pretty close. Having them side by side like that was a treat and sold me on the 914 forever.

Larmo63
I remember when I first got my first 914 "Speedy" running, in a Walter Mitty sort of way, closing my eyes momentarily, that fine-tuned 1.7 liter fuel injected engine sitting just inches behind me, pushing me ahead of that Camry in the lane next to me, dreaming of bigger and better things to come.......ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Can't a guy fantasize a little?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.