Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flywheel and pressure plate clean up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toadman
I have a couple of flywheels and pressure plates that are kind of rusty. Is there a good way to clean them up? Is media blasting an option?

Thanks
lonewolfe
QUOTE(toadman @ Nov 20 2016, 02:56 PM) *

I have a couple of flywheels and pressure plates that are kind of rusty. Is there a good way to clean them up? Is media blasting an option?

Thanks

Good question! I'd like to know this as well. I'd also like to know the same for brake rotors.
mb911
QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Nov 20 2016, 03:03 PM) *

Thanks

Good question! I'd like to know this as well. I'd also like to know the same for brake rotors.

I blast flywheels and rotors and then have them zinc plated.. I have for years on all my cars.. It works perfect and costs almost nothing.. Never did a pressure plate but I would think it would be fine.. Here is a picture of my flywheelClick to view attachment
mb911
QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Nov 20 2016, 03:03 PM) *

Thanks

I blast flywheels and rotors and then have them zinc plated.. I have for years on all my cars.. It works perfect and costs almost nothing.. Never did a pressure plate but I would think it would be fine.. Here is a picture of my flywheel
rgalla9146
Flywheel yes, pressure plate no.
You'll never get the grit out of the moving parts and it will most likely affect
smooth action.
Wash it.
bdstone914
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Nov 20 2016, 06:33 PM) *

Flywheel yes, pressure plate no.
You'll never get the grit out of the moving parts and it will most likely affect
smooth action.
Wash it.

agree.gif

Another reason is that zinc plating can produce hydrogen embrittlement that could lead to the fingers on the plate breaking off. Hardeded fasteners are baked 4 -8 hours if plated to drive out the hydrogen.
bdstone914
duplicate
N_Jay
On the flywheel, does the plating affect the contract surface, or do you have that machined afterwards?
bdstone914
QUOTE(N_Jay @ Nov 20 2016, 08:08 PM) *

On the flywheel, does the plating affect the contract surface, or do you have that machined afterwards?

It would come off the first time the clutch is engaged. Rotors are commonly zinc plated on the working surface with no ill effects.
But there is no good reason to do it.
mb911
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Nov 20 2016, 06:13 PM) *

QUOTE(N_Jay @ Nov 20 2016, 08:08 PM) *

It would come off the first time the clutch is engaged. Rotors are commonly zinc plated on the working surface with no ill effects.
But there is no good reason to do it.

I zinc plate because the none contact areas don't rust as quickly.. It's kind a preferred taste. For me
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.