Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT be carefull when charging
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot Cannon
This Piper burned because a flashlight was being charged unattended. Be carefull out there.
Krieger
Shit! That sucks! Yeah, I have two lithium batteries charging now in the garage unattended. One for the flashlight and one for the cordless drill. Am I supposed to be watching them?
falcor75
When I was active in the RC flying and we used Li-Po batteries the advice was to keep them in a non flammable container while charging. Steel or stone works, I used a large flowerpot that sat well away from anything that could catch fire.
porschetub
One of the vessels in our fleet had a serious fire @ sea,fire investigators traced it to a laptop charger blowing up,the cost to repair was estimated @ 20 million and a years worth of work to repair.
Click to view attachment

stugray
Yes being an EE it makes me nervous when I walk around the house and can count over a dozen devices sprinkled around the house that are actively charging LiIon batteries.

3 tablets, two laptops, 4 phones, a quadcopter, cordless screwgun, flashlight, the list goes on.

And THEN the samsung battery problem - dont get me started.
When I fisrt heard about this i was quoted as saying "They had BETTER NOT come out and say that they have a software fix for that!!"

Then they came out the very next day saying "we have pushed a software fix to all the phones that will limit the charge to 60% which will reduce the chance of a fire"

YOU DUMBASSES! that means that some rogue hacker can push a patch that will tell all of the phones to charge to 150% and we will have fires breaking out all over the world.
Battery charge control should NOT be reconfigurable via a software patch.

A "minor software patch" was what caused the loss of the Mars Global Surveyor spacecraft when the batteries BLEW UP because some key fault protection parameters were inadvertently overwritten by the patch.
stugray
Training at work for Li-Ion battery handling.

They made us watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxJBRK2EXFc&vl=en
rjames
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Nov 20 2016, 10:50 PM) *

When I was active in the RC flying and we used Li-Po batteries the advice was to keep them in a non flammable container while charging. Steel or stone works, I used a large flowerpot that sat well away from anything that could catch fire.

Great idea- thanks for sharing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.