Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shiny Throttle Body with new parts !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
I got an update from Phil on my TB. He sent me this picture and expects to be done soon.

Whether or not it makes the car run and idle better, my fingers are crossed. But it sure will look like a new one.

Click to view attachment
porschetub
Very nice,did you get it bored oversize or is that done anyway ?
jim_hoyland
I got mine back from Phil and installed it last Friday; much better ! Plus, I wwent with the Vanagon TB. No more lugging on the hills.... smile.gif

Phil does very good work
echocanyons
These look very good but who is Phil & how does one contact him for service?
Mikey914
Got the 1.7 and 1.8 gaskets if you need one.
Looks too good to put a crappie old one on.
malcolm2
I found him on Samba. I don't remember all he did, but this is his last email:

So your throttle body is completed and ready to ship,
the rebuild replaces the worn aluminum with real sealed bearings and high quality double lip shaft seals top and bottom...

in addition I added the throttle stop and also counter bored the bypass air screw for an o ring to help seal off any vacuum leaks in that area.

His screen name at samba is Whip618
email is: pbeslins@msn.com

I can't seem to find any samba ads tho. He may just run on word-of-mouth.

I did find lots of guys that had used his service for their buses and lots of kind words.

I did not have him do anything but the normal service. Looking back I suppose I could have gone for some upgrades. My real thought on that is will an upgrade add another element of change to something else? Maybe more tweeking of the AFM....?

Anyway, just went with the rebuild.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 21 2016, 01:35 PM) *

Got the 1.7 and 1.8 gaskets if you need one.
Looks too good to put a crappie old one on.

Just ordered a new one; the old gasket was too hard, not flexible enough to make a good seal

Link to communicate with Phil:
pbeslins@msn.com
echocanyons
Thank for the contact info.
pete000
Your car will run better !

malcolm2
QUOTE(pete000 @ Nov 21 2016, 07:04 PM) *

Your car will run better !

I got her in last night. I am not really sure what improvements I thought I would see or feel, but after the test drive I can tell a difference.

I could feel a smother engine response when shifting and when accelerating from a stop.

I did hope the cold idle would improve, but I can't say that happened, more testing (driving) is needed.

Phil mentioned a "sticky" throttle coming from the plate digging into the TB. Then you have gaps that form between the moving plate and the body. My car only had 85K miles on it when I got it. So I don't think my TB was BAD, but it was probably nicely worn.

Again, he did a nice job with it.

Click to view attachment
malcolm2
Short video showing some improvements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl3k9yYT7GQ

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.