Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Track Dash Reconstruction
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vintage914racer
Long story short, a couple of years ago I had premature engine failure on my 914-6 track car. If you're bored you can check out part 1 and part 2 of my engine misadventure. Otherwise, I'll continue on the the regular scheduled dash programming...

We all know how the slippery slope works and before you knew it I had the car apart in hundreds of pieces tackling various "cheaper" projects while amassing engine parts and waiting for the engine builder. One of the projects I wanted to tackle for years was a dash rebuild. You see this car has been a track car since 1972 and judging by the great number of patches to the existing dash I wouldn't be surprised if it was original to the track car build.

Click to view attachment

At any rate the dash was riddled wtih holes, a complete rats nest of wires and a melange of various metallic and composite (fancy word for cheap plastic) finishes. My goal was to set about cleaning up the aesthetic, going a bit modern on the gauge front and clean up the wiring with a new fused junction box. And so it began...

The first step was making a trip to the local metal supplier. Now, if you're in Minneapolis you shoudl check out Discount Steel. As a complete metal shopping newb I was a little apprehensive, but upon arrival the folks were friendly, overwhelmingly helpful and generally a good lot. Armed with a couple strips of aluminum sheet I headed home.

Click to view attachment

I proceeded to trace my old dash panel with a Sharpie and cut out a new panel. After some trimming, fitting, trimming, fitting, trimming and re-fitting I settled on a fit that I was happy with. If you're wondering why all the trimming let's just say I'm a measure 12 times and still cut wrong kind of guy.

Click to view attachment

After a bit of drilling I had the panel mocked up and in place.

Click to view attachment

Satisfied with the fit I moved on to the next step...
vintage914racer
The next step was to build a gauge pod that tiled towards the driver for easy viewing. One of my biggest gripes from the old dash was that I always felt like I had to go out of my way to view the gauges. Looking away from what's ahead of you is not the best approach when you're hurtling down the track at 100mph. So I set off to change that starting with a duct tape and cardboard template.

Click to view attachment

In the photo you can see my expert (wink wink) drawing skills. The plan was to integrate 2 1/16th diameter VDO gauges for oil pressure, oil temp and volts, then install a Traqmate Traqdash with integrated tach, speedo and other potential plugs-ins. I built the pod with provision for three switches, with two immediately planned for ignition and the fuel pump respectively.

After a trip to Harbor Freight for the finest Chinese sheet metal brake priced under $50 I had my pod bent and ready for drilling.

Click to view attachment

Once the holes were drilled I fabbed up top and bottom access plates for the pod using some aluminum sheet and aluminum angle that I threaded to accept allens for installatin/removal. I don't have any good shots of the panels so you'll just have to take my word for it. I'd never lie to you smile.gif I then moved on to step three: upholstery.

Click to view attachment

This is where my craftmaster wife came in. I'd consider her the MacGyver of home crafting. That's her in the photos. I'd attribute the deer in the headlights look to the razor blade I may have been recklessy waving around or perhaps the 3M spray adhesive that was aimed her way.

Click to view attachment

Much like before after some trimming, a little more trimming and an extra side of trimming the basketweave vinyl was cut, adhestive sprayed and vinyl applied. If you're intriqued by the sacrificial pink rug under that's my special 914 project rug. It's my way of looking uber masculine when working on my car. It's come in handy laying under the car more than once.

Click to view attachment

Once applied I used some fancy binder clips that I may or may not have found in the supply closet at work to keep the vinyl in place. Now, if you're worried about me taking supplies from work I'll have you know I returned the clips after I used them. I call it recycling smile.gif

vintage914racer
As the dash slowly started to take form I couldn't help but mock it up on my workbench. Consider it a glimpse at what was to come and a small light the end of the tunnel.

Click to view attachment

In the photo above you can see the new fuse block I was integrating. I ended up going with a Blue Sea Systems Blade Fuse Block that I picked up from the West Marine next to my office. We used the same block in our Chumpcar with good result.

Click to view attachment

I proceeded to install the main panel and make sure everything was placed properly. Once I felt good about the arrangement I upholstered the gauge pod. In the photo below you can kind of see one of the access panels I fabbed up.

Click to view attachment

A bit more spray adhesive and "recycled" binder clips and the pod was all set. I don't have pictures, but I also upholstered the top access panel.

Click to view attachment

From here it was assembly and wiring time...

vintage914racer
In my head there were two things working against me on the wiring front. First, I'd never done much automotive wiring. Second, my car lacked an engine and therefore I couldn't really test my work as I went along. Fortunately I labeled the original wiring well and took a slow, calculated approach to cutting, replacing, splicing and so forth. It was during this time that I lost a little interest in the project. Summer rolled around and I got caught up in the few months a year when the weather is nice here. The car started gathering dust....until I got a call from my engine builder that the engine was done.

Click to view attachment

Let me tell you, once I knew there was prospect of getting my car back on track after a two-year hiatus I worked on it every waking available moment. I set an unrealist goal of getting my car put back together in 14-days for the last track day of the year. Now 14 days doesn't sound so bad, but when you have two children under five, a wife who works hours opposed of your long work weeks and other life "things" in the way 14 days wasn't much. And I didn't even mention the other work that had to get done...

Beyond finishing the dash and wiring I had to build up the longblock, fab up a new oil filter housing and bracket, build eight -16 AN steel braided lines totaling 35+ feet, repair some fatigue cracks on the chassis, swap the axle shafts and headers that I cannibalized to get my street six running (story on that car here), plus a hole lot more. The good news is I somehow got it done.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And finally the engine was in place...

Click to view attachment

vintage914racer
So, to make a long story a little less long, I completed the dash. I have to say that I'm pretty happy with it. The Traqdash worked pretty flawlessly. Other than having the old pressure leads connected backwards and popping fuse that was too small for the fuel pump everything worked as expected. I've included a couple "close to completed" dash pictures below. I'll post current photos shortly.

Click to view attachment

I did repace the cheapie voltmeter with a matching VDO gauge. The old one is still in the picture below.

Click to view attachment
carcus
Great work!!! Looks awesome!!!
mgp4591
What a cool upgrade, making the car look better and updating the functionality! All of your hard work and managed to get a little "cheesecake" photo in the post - kudos on your progress!
vintage914racer
QUOTE(carcus @ Nov 22 2016, 12:24 AM) *

Great work!!! Looks awesome!!!

Thanks. I'm happy with it.
EdwardBlume
agree.gif

Nice job! There's nothing more satisfying than setting out to fix or fabricate something and finding success. Good luck at the track!
jmitro
very nice job! great work
Frankvw
Great update ! And kudos to the craftmaster wife as well, nice that she joins in the project (or is that a way to keep an eye on what you are spending on the hobby ? :-) )
vintage914racer
QUOTE(Frankvw @ Nov 22 2016, 05:07 AM) *

Great update ! And kudos to the craftmaster wife as well, nice that she joins in the project (or is that a way to keep an eye on what you are spending on the hobby ? :-) )

Maybe a little of both. In reality though she is quite supportive of the car addiction. I already had it when she met me so she knew what she was getting into
tygaboy
Another great example of getting in there and just doing it. Super result! Love the period correct basket weave, too.
vintage914racer
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 22 2016, 05:54 AM) *

Another great example of getting in there and just doing it. Super result! Love the period correct basket weave, too.

While there's little that remains on the car that is original, I figured the basketweave would at least provide a little more continuity to what may have been in place on a period race car. Seeing as I vintage race the car a carbon fiber skin would've just seemed out of place.
whitetwinturbo
aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif ..........so nice.
gms
Ben, It looks very nice!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.