Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cam-less engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
Cam-Less engine link to story.

Here is something for all you super tech engine guys. I did not know this was coming. Maybe you did.

Something else to go wacky with vacuum leaks

blink.gif
JmuRiz
They've been working on it for a few years. I remember they had a test mule based on a Saab motor back then.
I love the idea of no need for direct injection while still improving performance and mpg (no more carbon buildup issues or need to run a catch can).

Kudus to the Chinese manufacturer for funding a real production engine. Hope they don't 'take' the tech like some of their other industries do.

Watch the koenigsegg series on the /Drive channel on YouTube...amazing things going on there!
mark04usa
Here is a link to info at R&T, for those of us who want to avoid a fox site. bye1.gif
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-t...ction-in-china/
matthepcat
Neat concept, now lets see if that circuit board with connectors can handle all the heat cycles and oil....and yea...air leaks.
porschetub
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Nov 23 2016, 04:21 PM) *

Neat concept, now lets see if that circuit board with connectors can handle all the heat cycles and oil....and yea...air leaks.

B&W/MAN in Denmark were working on this for marine diesel engines,hydraulic actuation was there setup never heard of an end result but they had an engine on a test bed for a long time and it ran fine years ago, but I did wonder what would happen if it stopped and the oil supply shutdown,tech wouldn't tell me cause it was very secret @ the time.
Dave_Darling
It's been on the way for a long time now. If Konigsegg really has the bugs ironed out enough for a production engine, that would be very cool.

--DD
pbanders
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 22 2016, 09:17 PM) *

It's been on the way for a long time now. If Konigsegg really has the bugs ironed out enough for a production engine, that would be very cool.

--DD

One of the biggest problems with the development of pneumatic camless engines has been the noise. Apparently, the pneumatic actuation is incredibly noisy compared to mechanically operated valves. I haven't reviewed the new tech described here, I assume they've figured out a way to get round the problem. It would be a gigantic leap forward if it could be made to work quietly, reliably, and efficiently.
rick 918-S
I was in a tech school probably 6 years ago where a friend was teaching advanced secondary BMW mechanics. He showed me a cylinder head that had solenoids over the valves in place of the cam. I seem to recall it was some sort of prototype.
cwpeden
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 23 2016, 06:38 AM) *

I was in a tech school probably 6 years ago where a friend was teaching advanced secondary BMW mechanics. He showed me a cylinder head that had solenoids over the valves in place of the cam. I seem to recall it was some sort of prototype.

I thought this was already a reality in F1 with the solenoid valves?

Or this: Rotary valves

pbanders
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Nov 23 2016, 07:47 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 23 2016, 06:38 AM) *

I thought this was already a reality in F1 with the solenoid valves?

Or this: Rotary valves

Camless engines are against FIA rules in F1. They've been using pneumatic return springs for years.

http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/pneumat..._actuation.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/...nary_camshafts/

Info in the 2nd URL is 2 years old, but I think the rules are still the same.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.