Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sheridan standard wide body fitment question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HalfMoon
Has anyone had experience with fitting to a Sheridan wide body kit the lower rear valance that he sells?
Mine's not lining up right and I'm damned if I can figure out what the problem is. I've reached out to Roger as well and he's stumped too.
Roger has viewed images and feels the rear flares were installed (by PO) correctly, the car is straight, just can't figure this out.
If I force the part to fit, it'll crack and already has started too.
At this point, the only way I can see to make it fit is to cut it in half and essentially widen it by about an inch.
Anyone have experience with this problem and it's remedy?
Thanks
Click to view attachment
sixaddict
I have had two FG rear valances and both were too narrow. Not sure who made them but never used due to issue
FL000
May not be what you want as an option but I had to perform alittle surgery on mine to get it to fit. I had to narrow it a bit and add some fiberglass to the ends. Still in work but you will get the idea from my pics.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
porschetub
Regardless of who you buy it off it will need work be prepared to cut chop and channel various parts to get there,if you don't know fiberglass its easy enough to get info off the net,spend 15yrs in the sticky itchy shit and I try to forget lol-2.gif lol-2.gif .
HalfMoon
QUOTE(FL 000 @ Nov 22 2016, 09:27 PM) *

May not be what you want as an option but I had to perform alittle surgery on mine to get it to fit. I had to narrow it a bit and add some fiberglass to the ends. Still in work but you will get the idea from my pics.

Are you using the Sheridan flares or QRS bubble flares?
For my Sheridan lower valance, it looks like I'll have to widen not narrow for fitment.
Could you clarify what flares your using?
Your lower valance does look like a Sheridan though...
TY
HalfMoon
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Nov 22 2016, 09:19 PM) *

I have had two FG rear valances and both were too narrow. Not sure who made them but never used due to issue

Were they to narrow using the Sheridan flares or too narrow using someone else's flares?
Rand
Anyone who expects all this shit to line up is a dreamer who shouldn't be doing this. Expect it. What baffles me is the claim that
Roger was confused. Really? Welcome to the real world.
FL000
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Nov 22 2016, 08:55 PM) *

For my Sheridan lower valance, it looks like I'll have to widen not narrow for fitment.
TY

Sheridan flares and valance. My car had been rear ended at some point so not sure how the measurements match up with factory. How does the right side of yours line up? From your picture it looks like the curve of the leftmost part fits nicely under the quarter panel, and maybe you just need to extend the end an inch or so?
HalfMoon
QUOTE(porschetub @ Nov 22 2016, 10:28 PM) *

Regardless of who you buy it off it will need work be prepared to cut chop and channel various parts to get there,if you don't know fiberglass its easy enough to get info off the net,spend 15yrs in the sticky itchy shit and I try to forget lol-2.gif lol-2.gif .

Well yes that appears to be the case, but kinda stings laying out not a little chunk of change and having to re-work a part in not just a minor way.
Roger said he's had hundreds of these sold and not a complaint on fitment, so I must be doing something wrong. I showed him images with the flares off to make sure the PO had installed the flares correctly and Roger said it appeared as if they were...
But a part of me wonders if the lower area of the old metal fender should be trimmed to allow the lower part of the flare to move a bit, thus possibly allowing the valance to just barely mate up?
See image.
Click to view attachment
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 23 2016, 12:00 AM) *

Anyone who expects all this shit to line up is a dreamer who shouldn't be doing this. Expect it. What baffles me is the claim that

Appreciate your input.
No, not really.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(FL 000 @ Nov 23 2016, 12:08 AM) *

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Nov 22 2016, 08:55 PM) *

TY

Sheridan flares and valance. My car had been rear ended at some point so not sure how the measurements match up with factory. How does the right side of yours line up? From your picture it looks like the curve of the leftmost part fits nicely under the quarter panel, and maybe you just need to extend the end an inch or so?

I can indeed get the right side to line up fairly well, but when trying to get the left side to line up it's off quite a bit....and if I force it forward it'll crack (in fact it already has a lil bit) as that forcing, forces it to "spread" apart way more than practical.
Pretty sure if I cut the thing right in half and add about an inch to the center section, it'll fit just fine.
I had hope mebbe I was just doing something wrong in terms of how the flares were originally installed, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Guess, I'll just cut it and add an inch :-)
Rand
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Nov 22 2016, 09:18 PM) *

Appreciate your input.
No, not really.

Sorry if that was too much reality. No offense intended. Truth is, all this takes fitting, that's all.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 23 2016, 12:32 AM) *

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Nov 22 2016, 09:18 PM) *

Appreciate your input.
No, not really.

Sorry if that was too much reality. No offense intended. Truth is, all this takes fitting, that's all.

K. Yeah.
Thanks.
Rand
Sorry man, didn't mean to spur some sort of bitterness. Just saying, it's normal for fiberglass body parts to need work to fit. Simple as that. I said it with a snarky tone before, like most guys ribbing each other in the shop do where I'm from. Don't be hurt, laugh instead.
Gunn1
Click to view attachment

Looks like you've done a little frame stiffening and added some Koni? coil overs.
Curious confused24.gif as to why the rotor and caliper area is "Blacked out". Don't mind the Rand Man he means well.... blink.gif
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Gunn1 @ Nov 23 2016, 09:51 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Looks like you've done a little frame stiffening and added some Koni? coil overs.
Curious confused24.gif as to why the rotor and caliper area is "Blacked out". Don't mind the Rand Man he means well.... blink.gif

Chuckle.
Well, the PO used atrociously large (and dangerous) spacers that added a huge amount of unsprung weight. I wanted to avoid a blitz of comments on them and stay focused on the op question.

As an aside, failing more feedback, I suppose the only fix for the Sheridan lower valance fitment problem is going to be cutting it in half and widening the part.
Guess I was being a dreamer. Probably shouldn't even be doing this kind of stuff...
lol-2.gif
Oh, and yes, it's a sbc teener.
Gunn1
Well Played half moon.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Gunn1 @ Nov 24 2016, 10:47 AM) *

Well Played half moon.

golfer.gif
Elliot Cannon
The fiberglass parts I got from QRS took a lot of massaging. Not everything on every 914 measures up precisely and it takes some adjustments sometimes to make things fit. Go for it. Do what you have to do to make it right. I like to think everything is a learning experience. biggrin.gif
HalfMoon
Mock up.
Just about what I guessed. Needed an inch wider.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.