Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing the Points and Condenser
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ricardo
I'm in the process of replacing the points and condenser and was wondering if I can remove the clamp that holds the wires to the side of the distributor with removing the distributor? If I have to remove the distributor, how do I do that?
Dave_Darling
It'll be challenging to remove the clip that holds the points wires in, that's for sure. If you can get a screwdriver on it somehow, you might be able to remove it.

If not, start feeling around the base of the distributor. There's a clamp that holds it onto the top of the engine, with a long hex-shaped piece sticking out pointing toward the middle of the engine. Loosen that, and you can twist the distributor around. Do that, and you will eventually find the nut that holds the clamp onto the top of the engine. Remove the nut and washer, then grab the distributor and wiggle wiggle wiggle it up and out.

This will completely lose your ignition timing, so you will have to re-time the engine after you re-install the distributor.

Sorry for the image size, but here is the clamp:

IPB Image

--DD
stugray
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 22 2016, 03:50 PM) *

It'll be challenging to remove the clip that holds the points wires in, that's for sure. If you can get a screwdriver on it somehow, you might be able to remove it.

If not, start feeling around the base of the distributor. There's a clamp that holds it onto the top of the engine, with a long hex-shaped piece sticking out pointing toward the middle of the engine. Loosen that, and you can twist the distributor around. Do that, and you will eventually find the nut that holds the clamp onto the top of the engine. Remove the nut and washer, then grab the distributor and wiggle wiggle wiggle it up and out.

This will completely lose your ignition timing, so you will have to re-time the engine after you re-install the distributor.

Sorry for the image size, but here is the clamp:

--DD

If you DONT have to loosen the long hex bolt in the picture and you can get to the nut that holds that clamp down to the case, you will not lose your timing.

But some old grungy dizzys wont come out unless you twist them back & forth.
Nice clean ones come out without loosening the adjustment screw.
Dave_Darling
Good point! Unfortunately, it can be very difficult to find the mounting nut with the distributor in some orientations.

--DD
TheCabinetmaker
I agree with Dave. If your replacing points it will have to be retimed anyway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.