Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel center caps new finishing what do you think
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
So,
Our finishing company is backed up fro the next 2-3 weeks we have polished a few sets to get caught up on our back orders. It costs us a little more, and the polishing is good, but not perfection at 12" they are 3' perfect more a factor of the equipment we are using, but overall I'm thinking I like these. You can see the satin finish on the right. The only thing is as you buff you can can see ANY imperfection. Maybe I'm too picky but what are your thoughts? The satin finish is easier, and costs less, but the polish is closer to OEM. If you note the machine swirl marks in the satin, the polished ones are almost indistinguishable from the OEM (except when you go to remove they will not be corroded on).
bandjoey
Very perfect. Heir 914 Master
Mikey914
Thanks,
It's just as I polish and the surface looks more mirror like. Any little polish mark or swirl shows. You can see some in the pictures. Sure standing next to them you won't see them, but it must be my OCD. I guess the originals wee somewhat like this.

By the way we may throw a few of these up for teh Black Friday sale.
bretth
Would these fit Riviera wheels?

Brett
Cal
Mark, these look great....I really like the caps that I bought from you before, but the polished would be perfect. Please send me a PM.....I'd like to buy a set to replace mine.

PanelBilly
Sell the seconds at a slight discount or add a premium for the best ones. I bet you'll sell more seconds. Just to have a new ones is an upgrade for most of us.
mb911
I use a local polish shop to do all my stainless.. They are cost effective and still do all of m&k exhaust and rarleyl8 products. Mark if you want the guys contact let me know..
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 23 2016, 11:06 AM) *

I use a local polish shop to do all my stainless.. They are cost effective and still do all of m&k exhaust and rarleyl8 products. Mark if you want the guys contact let me know..

I think mark's are aluminum, right?
sb914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 23 2016, 08:22 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 23 2016, 11:06 AM) *

I think mark's are aluminum, right?

Yep aluminum I have some.
mb911
My guy does both stainless and aluminium.. He did my 7 and 9 Fuchs for my turbo a few years ago.. Great job.. I may try him on my front bumper rechroming
Mikey914
QUOTE(bretth @ Nov 23 2016, 06:04 AM) *

Would these fit Riviera wheels?

Brett

Sorry but no
Mikey914
The problem is the production cost + the additional outside cost and the moving tehse around all have costs. We spend about $2.50 each for the anodizing. We can put a good polish on these for not much more. It's like looking a diamond. We can get FL and add a min $8 per unit ($32 per set) or we can do a VVS2, small imperfections not easily seen and sell at 30% less ($88 vs $120). You can also polish them more if you wish.
gcrotvik
Mark,

Can you put me on the list for 2 sets please. They are beautiful.

Greg
Mikey914
No problem. We will list a few on Black Friday throughout the day. So hold tight you may be able to get cheaper, but if you miss them we will still have them.
dlkawashima
Here's are some pictures to compare the new polished wheel cap to an old stock one.

The new caps are very bright and beautifully finished. Even though they are close to a mirror finish, they still retain their machining marks.
Click to view attachment

You can see here Mark's polished cap is somewhat lighter in color than the old stock cap.
Click to view attachment

Here is a profile view. Mark's cap is a few millimeters taller than the original but this would be pretty much impossible to see once the cap is installed.
Click to view attachment

I purchased the original anodized caps in the first group buy and remember them to be fairly chunky. I was surprised that the caps are now nicely carved out.
Click to view attachment

These caps are light but still a fair bit heavier than the old stock caps. They should be able to take a beating from ham fisted tire mechanics.
Click to view attachment

Overall, I'm very impressed by these polished caps. The only problem is they're so nice, I almost feel they're too nice to install. This is another great product from 914Rubber that I can recommend without hesitation. Brilliant!
Mikey914
I think the angle of the light may come into play, but those don't look like they were cut into the metal deep enough. They should look like this (left side).

Unless you got a set of the anodized (right) ones which look like the one in the picture.

Happy to exchange, just PM me your specifics.
Mark
jesse7flying
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 16 2016, 02:38 PM) *

I think the angle of the light may come into play, but those don't look like they were cut into the metal deep enough. They should look like this (left side).

Unless you got a set of the anodized (right) ones which look like the one in the picture.

Mark

Hey Mark,
How much are a set of the anodized ones? I'm interested. PM me please.
Jesse
rhodyguy
I think you're 'picky'. wink.gif they look great!
Mikey914
QUOTE(jesse7flying @ Dec 16 2016, 01:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 16 2016, 02:38 PM) *

Mark

Hey Mark,
How much are a set of the anodized ones? I'm interested. PM me please.
Jesse

Replied to your PM. I don't have a full set of anodized on the shelf, but may be able to piece together one.I know I have a single on my desk at home, and the one we took this picture with is in the back shop. If I have the 2 others on the shelf I can do one anodized for you.
For right now we are fulfilling with polished, but in the future there will be an up charge for polishing as it does cost more for us to polish than anodize.

If you want polished you can order here -
http://shop.914rubber.com/914-wheel-center...m?categoryId=-1

$85 a set.
clapeza
Any plans for making these for Fake Fuchs again?
Mikey914
That ate my lunch, I have some still laying around. But I may have the diameter you need here what is the opening?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.