What are the best types of transmission, which can be installed on 914
Mueller
QUOTE(a.haleem @ Nov 23 2016, 10:54 AM) *

hi

Define "best"

If money no object something from Quaife smile.gif

https://shop.quaife.co.uk/quaife-porsche-6-...ntial-transaxle

It really depends on what motor you have.

/4 banger, I'd say stock transmission rebuild and geared to your liking or Subaru transmission which requires an almost $700 adapter plate and special flywheel.

/6 banger, 915 is often used, getting to be very expensive for the parts and labor to get it to work.

If an engine conversion to something like a V8, Boxster 6 speed

Are you really in Egypt? If so, how many 914s are over there?
a.haleem
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 24 2016, 01:07 AM) *

QUOTE(a.haleem @ Nov 23 2016, 10:54 AM) *

hi

Define "best"

If money no object something from Quaife smile.gif

https://shop.quaife.co.uk/quaife-porsche-6-...ntial-transaxle

It really depends on what motor you have.

/4 banger, I'd say stock transmission rebuild and geared to your liking or Subaru transmission which requires an almost $700 adapter plate and special flywheel.

/6 banger, 915 is often used, getting to be very expensive for the parts and labor to get it to work.

If an engine conversion to something like a V8, Boxster 6 speed

Are you really in Egypt? If so, how many 914s are over there?

thanks to you for your information
I am from Egypt we have about 5 cars 914 in Egypt
SirAndy
QUOTE(a.haleem @ Nov 30 2016, 09:12 AM) *
I am from Egypt we have about 5 cars 914 in Egypt

welcome.png

Post some pictures!
bye1.gif
Elliot Cannon
welcome.png And we would love to see some pictures from Egypt.
wndsnd
welcome.png

Love to see some pictures!
TheCabinetmaker
What they said. Lots of pics.
Porschef
A pic from Giza would be very special. I understand there are some interesting structures there... smile.gif
Dave_Darling
Anything other than the stock trans is going to be a bit of a pain in the behind to install. A stock trans in good shape has handled 3-liter motors, as long as you baby 1st gear.

A few people have used Boxster transmissions, with Boxster cable-shift linkages. At least one was bolted to a VW/Audi 1.8T motor. Search for the threads on here. I'm spacing on the user name of the guy who built it. There has been at least one Boxster trans on an air-cooled 911 engine, but it was a good bit of work.

Someone managed to swap in an early FWD Audi gearbox. I believe it was done for someone who was physically unable to work a clutch. There is a thread on here somewhere with some pics.

The 915 box has been done quite a few times. A little machining is needed, plus the mounting, clutch linkage, and shift linkage all have to be worked out. WEVO (google them!) makes a tail cover that provides part of the linkage and the mounts. But you still have to flip the ring & pinion and do some machining to enable that. It will hold up to more torque than the stock 901-based box does, but not a super huge amount.

The early-ish 930 four-speed can be done, but evidently it is a whole lot more work. It is much more robust than the 915 box, though.

The G50 box from the 87-~92 911s can be made to work, but I believe it needs to be run upside down which means the lubrication setup needs to be revised. It is a stout box, and has been used in a number of specialty cars/kit cars behind SBC motors and similar stuff.

There are a whole lot of different ways to define "best". Start defining what your setup is, and what your aims are, and you'll narrow in on what options work for you.

--DD
jmill
Don't forget about the ZF transaxle that was in the Pantera. It can handle gobs of power but is quite expensive. It would be my go to trans for a V8 swap. It even has a dogleg 1st.
Andyrew
QUOTE(jmill @ Dec 1 2016, 08:45 AM) *

Don't forget about the ZF transaxle that was in the Pantera. It can handle gobs of power but is quite expensive. It would be my go to trans for a V8 swap. It even has a dogleg 1st.

Old school and getting more and more expensive

The Boxster /Cayman 6 speed from the 987 is the go to transmission now for that power range.

Its slick shifting and handles more power than most would consider putting through this car.

Only about 2k-2500 for a good trani.

The 5 speed Boxster unit is essentially the same trans as the VW/Audi 5 speed FWD unit. Gear ratio's ARE different and the box is very difficult to open up dry.gif and since 1 and 2 are attached to the shaft it makes things particularly difficult to get good ratios.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.