Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NARP for 190,000
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gunn1
Not a real Porsche either, but a 190,000 k ? confused24.gif

It is a beautiful racer and lightweight.

1961 Lotus Elven 23B Race Car - $190000 (Spring Park)

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/5855973904.html

Click to view attachment
Pursang
In its day the Lotus 23 was the younger and smaller offspring of the popular Lotus 19. They were very common in SCCA regional and national events. Interestingly enough George Follmer won the 1965 USRRC title that year in his Lotus 23 based on total points in the under 2 liter class, besting the point totals of bigger cars including the Shelby Cobra team.

Unfortunately many of these cars were modified to keep up with newer cars in using engine changes and body modifications that distorted their originally clean lines such as shown in your example. Another similarly beautiful U2L sports racer was the Elva Mk VII.

Yes I am old. I still believe that cars of this era, Formula 1 included, are strikingly lovely.
Gunn1
Great information and history.
It has a uncommon but balanced stance with its rear wheels almost running out of room on the backend .

Pursang, I don't know how old you are, I am 55 and if you will allow me to use your words. I think it is strikingly beautiful as well.
My 914
I look at a beautiful car like this and it doesn't look "old" at all. Some designs are timeless.
Pursang
QUOTE(Gunn1 @ Nov 23 2016, 07:25 PM) *

It has a uncommon but balanced stance with its rear wheels almost running out of room on the backend .

Pursang, I don't know how old you are, I am 55 and if you will allow me to use your words. I think it is strikingly beautiful as well.

Old enough to have seen those and others race in their day. Now you've got me reminiscing. Early Can-Am with ground shaking thunderous V-8's...no limits on design rules. Great cars and equally fascinating drivers up close and personal; Hall, McLaren, Moss, Gurney, Stewart. Geez, those were the days. Quick flashback: A few years ago I was at the Historic Car Races at Portland International. Spent about 40 minutes talking to Parnelli Jones. What an experience.

Thanks Gunn for dragging up the memories. Now I have to go and see if I can find some old 35mms photos. Have a great Thanksgiving.
Gunn1
I remember awhile ago telling a younger fella that was speeding in a wheel loader on a job site
"Hey Parnelli Jones you need to slow down" He later came up to me and said
"I got the slow down part, but who's this Jones guy?" Funny

Happy Thanksgiving
EdwardBlume
These cars are very popular in the UK. aktion035.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Pursang @ Nov 23 2016, 07:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Gunn1 @ Nov 23 2016, 07:25 PM) *

Old enough to have seen those and others race in their day. Now you've got me reminiscing. Early Can-Am with ground shaking thunderous V-8's...no limits on design rules. Great cars and equally fascinating drivers up close and personal; Hall, McLaren, Moss, Gurney, Stewart. Geez, those were the days. Quick flashback: A few years ago I was at the Historic Car Races at Portland International. Spent about 40 minutes talking to Parnelli Jones. What an experience.

Thanks Gunn for dragging up the memories. Now I have to go and see if I can find some old 35mms photos. Have a great Thanksgiving.

Here's a few from back a ways. biggrin.gif Some a little fuzzy. Converted from Kodachrome slides.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.