Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: clutch slave
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gunn1
I looked back (did a search) trying to locate a ready made set up that would replace the old clutch cable stuff and replace it with a Hydraulic/slave cylinder configuration. I found a few photos and a few posts saying there would be a kit forthcoming, but up to this point I haven't come across it. confused24.gif Also saw a "hydraulically" actuated throw-out bearing. confused24.gif This would be for a stock 75' 2 liter and tranny.
Also want to keep the pedal locations stock (I'm tall) the car also has the front and rear sway bars. Even more importantly does anyone have experience with either set up. Any thoughts or pointers in the right direction would be great.
GeorgeRud
Don't think anyone offers a bolt-in kit, though several folks have done this conversion. The hard part seems to be fitting the clutch master cylinder. If a kit would become available, I think many folks would be interested to get rid of the clutch cable.
porschetub
I just don't see the point unless you have V8 conversion or similar with a big heavy clutch,not an easy conversion...and yes no kits out there cause there is little or no interest.
mb911
I desperately need something like this for dad's car along with some sort of button operated actuator as my dad can't push in the clutch very well any more
porschetub
Fair enough , sorry didn't know of your needs.
jmill
The auto stick bugs did it with vacuum. There was a switch in the stick shift handle that actuated clutch when you pressed down and also when you pressed brake.
shoguneagle
The hydraulic clutch was done years ago by "a914guy" using a CNC slave cylinder and a master cylinder from a 928 Porsche (if I remember correctly). The hydraulic lines and fittings were 3AN size. The line does go through the tube before fitting attachments.

The most complicated factor is welding a mounting plate onto the underside of the body next to the brake master cylinder; then set the arm length from the clutch to the master cylinder (rod does attach to the pedal arm without too much trouble.)

Add a reservoir to the top next to the hydraulic one and run a line down and attach.

The bottom right side of the transmission with a makeup bracket to hold the one end of the slave cylinder and the other one attaches to the clutch yoke arm using the existing metal shift cable wedge.

I think you will find the details either by contacting "a914guy", a search under hydraulic clutches, or getting me off my old dead ass and take some photos.

This example is one of the only ones that you can get details to where you can use the ideas to build your own.

I built A914GUY's hydraulic clutch which is on my car. I used Wilwood slave cylinder #620-1033 and matched the shorty Wilwood master cylinder to it. Make sure you match the bore sizes as recommended by the manufacturer. (Something like 3/4 inch master; 7/8 inch slave).

Hope this helps you.

Steve Hurt
Mikey914
Look at the 944 / 951 this is a stock set up. May be able to easily adapt.
Gunn1
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 25 2016, 01:16 PM) *

Look at the 944 / 951 this is a stock set up. May be able to easily adapt.

I will check it out
amfab
this place is awesome
Gunn1
QUOTE(amfab @ Nov 25 2016, 03:15 PM) *

this place is awesome

The awesomest
mgp4591
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 25 2016, 10:34 AM) *

I desperately need something like this for dad's car along with some sort of button operated actuator as my dad can't push in the clutch very well any more

You may want to increase the leverage on the cable roller assy. by replacing it with a lever instead of a roller. It takes a little engineering but it works. Rnellums did a similar arrangement with his trans even though its a Subaru trans - it works really well. Lessening the effort makes it easier for him to push=better driveability for him.
Mikey914
With the hydraulic the piston size is close to 1/1 so you probably have plenty of force in the stock 944 / 951 set up. The engineering is done, just a matter of mounting. That's why I recommended this as the 951 clutch is actually pretty beefy from the factory. The torque tube setup makes is undesirable to have to change often.
mb911
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Nov 25 2016, 02:35 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 25 2016, 10:34 AM) *

You may want to increase the leverage on the cable roller assy. by replacing it with a lever instead of a roller. It takes a little engineering but it works. Rnellums did a similar arrangement with his trans even though its a Subaru trans - it works really well. Lessening the effort makes it easier for him to push=better driveability for him.

That's not a bad idea. If it were very easy he could do it..
Mark Henry
Someone else did it with VW vanagon parts.
Hard part is fab the mounts, but that said what I've seen they're pretty simple.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.