Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Member
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Costa05
Woke up on Oct 10th and saw this attached craigslist ad.... It is a long read but well worth it. Hopefully I was able to attach it as a newbie here. FYI - Probably won't plant flowers in it though. In case the attachment did not work it is 73 914 with 1.7l. Not running and appears to be seized up. Floorboards are 10% rusted through but decent. Making decent progress on it already in the first 6 weeks.

Click to view attachment

Coondog
Can't go wrong at that price. Welcome aboard
Elliot Cannon
Valley of the sun. Chariot of the gods. How could you go wrong? Very spiritual ad. Buy it and restore it for good karma. biggrin.gif
Drums66
.....WELCOME.....
shades.gif
Costa05
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 24 2016, 02:14 PM) *

Valley of the sun. Chariot of the gods. How could you go wrong? Very spiritual ad. Buy it and restore it for good karma. biggrin.gif

Exactly my thoughts. Could not resist after reading that story! Hilarious.
mepstein
welcome.png
Mikey914
Welcome your in the right place. welcome.png
shoguneagle
Welcome and do enjoy the car. I think you have found a good project. Only problem, you live in Phoenix whereas you should be living in the good part of AZ, Flagstaff!!

Lived there for eight years and loved it. Always got great parts and service from the people in Phoenix; also, enjoyed the people at the American-Italian Club.

Have fun!

Steve Hurt
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(shoguneagle @ Nov 24 2016, 12:45 PM) *

Welcome and do enjoy the car. I think you have found a good project. Only problem, you live in Phoenix whereas you should be living in the good part of AZ, Flagstaff!!

Lived there for eight years and loved it. Always got great parts and service from the people in Phoenix; also, enjoyed the people at the American-Italian Club.

Have fun!

Steve Hurt

Flagstaff? Isn't that were we froze our asses off on the Rt.66 tour? laugh.gif
whitetwinturbo
...........the word karma has such good karma smoke.gif
ConeDodger
welcome.png
Costa05
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 24 2016, 04:21 PM) *

QUOTE(shoguneagle @ Nov 24 2016, 12:45 PM) *

Have fun!

Steve Hurt

Flagstaff? Isn't that were we froze our asses off on the Rt.66 tour? laugh.gif

Yea Phoenix weather is awesome between right now (October and April). Flagstaff not so fun. Looking forward to the next 6 months on this new project.
Costa05
Thanks for all of the welcoming messages! The last thing I want is to become a "lost interest" statistic in this first timer 914 build. Garage time is awesome time for me.
flat4guy
welcome to the site, they are fun little cars.
Cairo94507
welcome.png Nice intro and ad. Now we need to see some real pictures of the car with work being done. Tell us what your plan is for that beauty. Mostly, have fun and share your experience. beerchug.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Nov 24 2016, 02:34 PM) *

...........the word karma has such good karma smoke.gif

"Karma is karma".
EdwardBlume
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png
Porschef
Be sure to download and print out a copy of the ad, laminate it or something equivalent, and stash it in the file you'll no doubt establish. It's at least as good as a factory invoice... biggrin.gif beer.gif
michael7810
Welcome to The world. You've come the right place for great parts vendors, expert advice and obligatory abuse. There's a few good 914 shops in the valley plus 20th Street Auto has a bunch of 914s in the yard for parts. What part of town do you live in?
sb914
:
welcome.png great ad
Costa05
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Nov 25 2016, 08:43 AM) *

Welcome to The world. You've come the right place for great parts vendors, expert advice and obligatory abuse. There's a few good 914 shops in the valley plus 20th Street Auto has a bunch of 914s in the yard for parts. What part of town do you live in?

Thanks.... From what I have read in past two weeks on this site you are 100% right that this is the place for 914 owners. I did find that 20th Street Auto on the net the other day. Sounds like my best local source for parts. Needing a lot of trim, rubber stuff, upholstery items. May need a new engine (definitely a rebuild). Thinking crazy and might do that subaru swap if I need a new engine... Maybe. Oh by the way I am South Mountain area in Laveen.
Costa05
Need advice on this build.... The car is a 1.7l that I believe is locked up for whatever reason (maybe sitting 20 years had something to do with it) confused24.gif I was planning to tear it down, take it to a shop for assessment and maybe do a DIY rebuild. Here is the deal... the fuel injection was removed by PO. Replaced with a single weber carb that I am not even sure ever breathed air through it. I live in Arizona where the car would probably only see 60 degrees F. and higher when driven. No altitude driving likely either (1100'). Can I get away with a single or dual carb setup (cam corrected) or would I be better off trying to locate an affordable D-tronic setup? Not a daily driver by any means. Thoughts before I decide to suby the damn thing if engine is toast?
Dave_Darling
Do you like carbs? Do you understand them? Can you work on them?

If so, then a good set of duals are the way to go.

Do you like originality? Do you want to learn about old analog electronics? Do you want to have one specific standard of "correct" and be able to refer to a set of manuals for it?

Then D-jetronic is the way to go.

Do you want to learn about combustion? About tuning mixtures? About wiring and plumbing? About how fuel injection works?

Then Mega-Squirt is a good choice.

On an old car like a 914, there is no simple obvious solution in circumstances like yours. Each way to go has pluses and minuses.

...Oh, the only plus to the single-carb setup is that it is cheap. It has no other redeeming features.

--DD
Costa05
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 30 2016, 12:24 AM) *

Do you like carbs? Do you understand them? Can you work on them?

If so, then a good set of duals are the way to go.

Do you like originality? Do you want to learn about old analog electronics? Do you want to have one specific standard of "correct" and be able to refer to a set of manuals for it?

Then D-jetronic is the way to go.

Do you want to learn about combustion? About tuning mixtures? About wiring and plumbing? About how fuel injection works?

Then Mega-Squirt is a good choice.

On an old car like a 914, there is no simple obvious solution in circumstances like yours. Each way to go has pluses and minuses.

...Oh, the only plus to the single-carb setup is that it is cheap. It has no other redeeming features.

--DD

Dave thanks for the reply and advice. What would a basic entry level Mega-squirt system consist of? Resources (net, books, DVDs)? Having a somewhat engineering mindset (and patience) I am pretty certain I could somewhat grasp the setup eventually and maybe have the most fun toying with it on weekends. Besides this forum rocks with knowledge and engineering skills for advice.
Rand
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=megasquirt

smile.gif

There are some good threads on here about Megasquirt conversions, but seems like it's been a while. There's also Microsquirt that's simpler (same company).
rhodyguy
There's also Ljet for the fi. Most parts if not all parts readily available. 914rubber for the sun baked disposables.
krazykonrad
welcome.png

You are in the right place. I have yet to think up a question that someone here hasn't been able to answer.

Konrad
PanelBilly
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Nov 30 2016, 05:45 PM) *

welcome.png

You are in the right place. I have yet to think up a question that someone here hasn't been able to answer.

Konrad

What color is the fastest? Never seem to get a consistent answer
Costa05
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Nov 30 2016, 10:44 PM) *

QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Nov 30 2016, 05:45 PM) *

welcome.png

Konrad

What color is the fastest? Never seem to get a consistent answer

I am going with gloss black. You know the zero color, zero resistance, deep space sort of thing. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.