Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Left Side Ignition
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
McMark
About a year ago I struck a deal with Pete at Restoration Design to start reproducing the 914-6 dash piece. I gave him a discount on a fuel injection system in trade for the die development costs. He finished these up awhile ago, and they're now available on his web site. But it wasn't until now that I had time to install one. It's a pretty easy process that I'll detail here.

Here's the repalcement piece from RD. I intended the design to be cut apart and not installed as one piece. The idea is that you can mark the lock section and cut it out. And then what you're left with is the new piece and a template to mark the location where the new piece goes. The switch 'bump' and the little notch at the bottom of the dash are the alignment markers. It's not idiot proof though, so measure twice and cut once.

Marking where I want the cuts.
Click to view attachment

Precision cutoff wheel work. sunglasses.gif
Click to view attachment

Template in place to mark dash for cutting.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

More precision surgery. av-943.gif
Click to view attachment

Replacement piece fits in the hole.
Click to view attachment

I TIG welded it, but MIG works fine. Go slow, take brakes. Heat is the enemy.Click to view attachment

Grind and smooth to a no-filler needed finish.
Click to view attachment

All in all, it took me almost exactly 2 hours to install the piece. It's lined up perfectly with the other holes and it's ready for install.

I can do these for $200, send your dash to me and I'll convert it. This one isn't spoken for, but I'm saving first right of refusal for Rob (ConeDodger) since last I heard he wanted a left ignition. bye1.gif
Mueller
Neat!
jim_hoyland
Which bezel will fit in the depression ?
And you need tha entire dash from door to door ?
McMark
The original 914-6 bezel isn't available. But it could be remade REALLY easily. So that's not too far down the line. It could be 3D printed incredibly easily.

Yeah, for me to do the install I need the full dash frame. Unfortunately there's no other way.
Mark Henry
I had this part in my hand...maybe even that actual part. biggrin.gif
mb911
I plan to do this at some point.. I need so many other things first.. I wonder what the total cost is for doing the complete conversion?
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 25 2016, 03:57 PM) *

I plan to do this at some point.. I need so many other things first.. I wonder what the total cost is for doing the complete conversion?

It doesn't really matter. I have most of what you need and you and I will work it all out. biggrin.gif
Krieger
Nice work Mark! Great planning for an easy install.
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 25 2016, 02:17 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 25 2016, 03:57 PM) *

It doesn't really matter. I have most of what you need and you and I will work it all out. biggrin.gif

We always do.. I feel I maybe making some more items for you soon..
jim_hoyland
Mark,. Would you post a pic with the ignition inserted into the hole
McMark
Sunday will be the soonest I can. But no problem.
ConeDodger
I want it! evilgrin.gif
Harpo
Very nicely done Mark
sixaddict
Mark:
Is there any difference in the dash (70/71) versus later ones......
Thanks
TOT
Congrats with getting this part recreated. I guess this part is a "must " have for those that have converted-4 to-6 from a visual point of view. The next thing is to remove the vin tag on next to the windshield.
mb911
QUOTE(396 @ Nov 26 2016, 06:51 AM) *

Congrats with getting this part recreated. I guess this part is a "must " have for those that have converted-4 to-6 from a visual point of view. The next thing is to remove the vin tag on next to the windshield.

The other advantages could be that more available turn signal electrical components.
Mark Henry
Could someone make a list of the parts needed to do this mod? biggrin.gif

Stupid me I sold a ignition switch out of a 76 targa thinking I'd never do this. dry.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Nov 26 2016, 09:06 AM) *

Mark:
Thanks
TOT

Yes - but I don't think you want to put an early sub dash frame in a later car unless you really want to re-work all the parts of the dash for the GT look.
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 26 2016, 10:01 AM) *

QUOTE(396 @ Nov 26 2016, 06:51 AM) *

The other advantages could be that more available turn signal electrical components.

They are available but when you order new, they aren't cheap and the old parts often have issues. The piece from resto design is cheap but the entire conversion can easily cost a grand. Remember it also uses a 911 steering column which doesn't come cheap anymore. A 911 ignition switch runs about $250.
sixaddict
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 26 2016, 07:44 AM) *

Mark:
Thanks
TOT

Yes - but I don't think you want to put an early sub dash frame in a later car unless you really want to re-work all the parts of the dash for the GT look.

Mark:
Now that my brain is in gear it is self evident
One reason I asked is I happen to have a 70 4 cylinder dash that is not in my build plan so was trying to decide if this makes it worth something
Terry
Larmo63
I found this older 911 switch and thought it might work?

Click to view attachment
McMark

Mark:
Thanks
TOT

Fresh air vents & top center vent.
McMark
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Nov 26 2016, 11:38 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 26 2016, 07:44 AM) *

Mark:
Thanks
TOT

Mark:
Now that my brain is in gear it is self evident
One reason I asked is I happen to have a 70 4 cylinder dash that is not in my build plan so was trying to decide if this makes it worth something
Terry

They're still plenty of 'core' dashes in the world. I used to have about 10 that I planned on converting, but they got sacrificed in the move. I may start collecting cores to have in stock.
McMark
Dash escutcheon picture. Apparently AutoAtlanta already makes a typically crappy reproduction.
IPB Image
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 25 2016, 07:29 PM) *

I want it! evilgrin.gif

Are going to do the full conversion with the steering wheel lock and early TS & Wiper switches ?
jim_hoyland

I want it! evilgrin.gif

Are going to do the full conversion with the steering wheel lock and early TS & Wiper switches ?
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Nov 26 2016, 10:06 AM) *

I found this older 911 switch and thought it might work?

Click to view attachment

Will that lock use a regular 914 key ?
Larmo63
It has a Porsche key in it. I'll use that. This ignition switch also has an accessory mode which comes in handy.

It fits into a plain round hole, too. No wheel lock.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Nov 26 2016, 04:19 PM) *

It has a Porsche key in it. I'll use that. This ignition switch also has an accessory mode which comes in handy.

It fits into a plain round hole, too. No wheel lock.

...like the hole for the fog light switch ?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Nov 26 2016, 09:02 PM) *

I want it! evilgrin.gif

Mark has all those parts. I'm trying to dig up enough dirt on him so I can blackmail him into selling them to me...

poke.gif happy11.gif av-943.gif
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 26 2016, 01:20 PM) *

Dash escutcheon picture. Apparently AutoAtlanta already makes a typically crappy reproduction.
IPB Image

Quick question, how were you able to locate this "crappy " repro one at AA? I searched just to see and could not located a picture of that crappy one...it looks just like my OEM.
McMark
Here ya' go...
McMark
QUOTE(396 @ Nov 26 2016, 08:47 PM) *

Quick question, how were you able to locate this "crappy " repro one at AA? I searched just to see and could not located a picture of that crappy one...it looks just like my OEM.

Here's the image I was looking at. The surface finish and the 'fuzzy' edges bother me. I would have to spend a couple hours making this better before I would feel comfortable using it.

IPB Image
Steve
Curious Mark... what if we do not want the expense and hasstle of the 914-6 steering column. Do you have any recommendations for just the 911 ignition switch with 914-4 switches and column? Maybe cut the arm off of a 911 ignition switch?
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 27 2016, 02:36 PM) *

Curious Mark... what if we do not want the expense and hasstle of the 914-6 steering column. Do you have any recommendations for just the 911 ignition switch with 914-4 switches and column? Maybe cut the arm off of a 911 ignition switch?

Good question; curious
And: where did the black bezel come from ? Are they available as a Seperate item ?
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 27 2016, 02:33 PM) *

QUOTE(396 @ Nov 26 2016, 08:47 PM) *

Here's the image I was looking at. The surface finish and the 'fuzzy' edges bother me. I would have to spend a couple hours making this better before I would feel comfortable using it.

IPB Image

Thanks for posting the "mickey " part from AA. I did see that part and thought the same when I saw it.
My apologies as I was mistaken about the part in question.
jim_hoyland
Found it; only $29.95......yikes blink.gif
rick 918-S
Mark, there is a washer that goes on before the shear screws go in. I'll try to get a photo later. It sandwiches the dash tin between the switch and the washer.
I made one for a guy once. I used a electrical box cover for the material, a knockout punch and a pattern off an original part.
McMark
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 28 2016, 06:31 AM) *

Mark, there is a washer that goes on before the shear screws go in. I'll try to get a photo later. It sandwiches the dash tin between the switch and the washer.
I made one for a guy once. I used a electrical box cover for the material, a knockout punch and a pattern off an original part.

Yup. It was just for mockup. wink.gif Just looked, is that plate not available anymore? Is the 914-6 one different than the 911? If I can get one, I can have them laser cut en masse.
sixnotfour
its the same as the same year 911, but the PN is superseded to the later aluminplate
911-347-621-00 SS 91134735901 911,347,359,01
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 28 2016, 09:00 AM) *

its the same as the same year 911, but the PN is superseded to the later aluminplate
911-347-621-00 SS 91134735901 911,347,359,01

Does that part go on the outside of the dash face ?
McMark
Yup, in the following order...

Ignition Switch behind dash

------------------Dash Frame------------------

Reinforcement plate in front of dash

---------Basket Weave Vinyl Facing---------

Plastic Escutcheon/Surround
sixnotfour
Nice job McMark, beerchug.gif

uneducated viewer , ya it real it has a "Left Key"
this is the cheapest and easiest way.
Harpo
What year 911 column do I need for this conversion

Thanks

David
McMark
Only early cars and real 914-6 steering column will bolt up without modification. A 911 column must have the 914 mount plate moved over. I'm not sure what the cutoff date would be, but this thread has some pictures so you know what you're looking for. There are other examples on the site here as well.

IPB Image
sixnotfour
911 columns 69-73
Steve
What if you don't care about the column switches. Can't you just cut the arm off of the 911 ignition switch. Keep enough of the arm to use the buzzer switch?
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 4 2016, 12:04 PM) *

What if you don't care about the column switches. Can't you just cut the arm off of the 911 ignition switch. Keep enough of the arm to use the buzzer switch?

I was informed that it's doable
McMark
Yup, absolutely.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 4 2016, 12:04 PM) *

Is the buzzer switch the part to the right of the main tumbler ? IIRC the mechanism at the end of the arm will have to work; spring loaded ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.