Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dr Color Chip
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1970 Neun vierzehn
I have used " Dr. Color Chip" to touch up some very minor chips on my 2011 Audi A4. The touch-up was a perfect paint match, so much better than the factory touch up paint that can be purchased at the dealer. The Audi paint was so bad that I threw the touch up pens away.

But, does anyone have feedback if "Dr. Color Chip" can match 40+ year old paint codes? Their web site displays the paint code for my '70/4 (L11E), so I suppose they can formulate the mix. Although the car was painted its' original color eight years past and has been extremely pampered, I still wonder if the color formula can be produced to a perfect match. Unfortunately, after eight years, I finally got my first paint chip, on the rear deck lid no less.

Paul

mark04usa
Paul, i got a spray can of L21E paint for my 01/70 4 from Eastwood. It was a good match for touchup on some unfaded areas under fuel tank, behind rockers, and around brake master mount. Harder to match areas that have sun fading....
ConeDodger
I met them. Hot August Nights in Reno. He matched the paint on my '84 Carrera - Chiffon White very nicely.
bandjoey
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 27 2016, 12:04 AM) *

I met them. Hot August Nights in Reno. He matched the paint on my '84 Carrera - Chiffon White very nicely.

(Sounds like the first sentence to a Mickey Spillane Mystery Book. laugh.gif )
ConeDodger
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Nov 27 2016, 12:45 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 27 2016, 12:04 AM) *

(Sounds like the first sentence to a Mickey Spillane Mystery Book. laugh.gif )

av-943.gif
larryM
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 26 2016, 08:33 PM) *

But, does anyone have feedback if "Dr. Color Chip" can match 40+ year old paint codes?
Paul

you just call 'em up & spec the year- code/color you want - assuming you already know it (my case - i had the old paint can label with PPG code)

- there are sites where you can find old old codes if needed,

and a few suppliers may still have old old chip books stashed away (or check your local community college body shop - they often have this stuff they got as donations)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.