Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VW Bus engine in a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LCOX
Hey everyone. Looking at a 914 that someone has installed a VW 1.8 bus engine into. The bus engine oil dipstick is installed through the front fan housing into the bottom of the engine case at a 45 degree angle.
-when I pull the oil dipstick out it hits the front engine bay firewall after only a few inches so it can't really be removed to check the oil
-can this engine case be drilled to accept the oil dip stick tube and dip stick at the top of the engine beside the oil filler assembly in the same position as the 914 dip stick and tube? This area on the bus engine looks to be the same as the 914 engine case
-if so can I drill and install the tube and stick without splitting the engine case? Anyone ever done this? Thanx L
Boomingbeetle
Yes, this can be done. You can dip your drill bit in grease to catch most of the shavings. Will you cut and plug the existing tube or try to remove it and use a block off plate? I'm not sure if you can do the latter without dropping the motor but you definitely don't need to split the case.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.