Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Troble with wrench fit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
Its time to bleed my brakes and freshen up the fluid. Back calipers are easy, but fronts are a pain. I'm using the self bleeding screws and there isn't enough room to get a box wrench around the screw. The open end is too tight to fit securely too. I'm looking for a thin 8mm box wrench but all I find is thin open ends. What are the rest of you using?

McMark Edit: caliber -> caliper
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Nov 27 2016, 11:36 AM) *

Its time to bleed my brakes and freshen up the fluid. Back calibers are easy, but fronts are a pain. I'm using the self bleeding screws and there isn't enough room to get a box wrench around the screw. The open end is too tight to fit securely too. I'm looking for a thin 8mm box wrench but all I find is thin open ends. What are the rest of you using?

Buy a cheap wrench and grind it down to fit.
messix
find one of these http://www.parktool.com/product/metric-flare-wrench-mwf-1

a flair nut wrench
11tenths
I always try to break the bleeders free with a deepwell 6pt socket first, then use 'mini' (ignition) wrenches to perform the bleeding duties.

-Harry
cary
Second on 6 pt. no matter which tool you choose.
Very soft material.
914Sixer
Are you SURE someone did not switch bleeders with SAE fittings? Try a good ole American size next.
PanelBilly
the issue isn't the fit of the screw but it's the amount of space to fit a box wrench or an open end around the screw because the casting of the case is so close to the screw.
rjames
I don't remember having any issues getting a craftsman box wrench in there when I bled mine.
wndsnd
Second on ignition wrenches
McMark
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Nov 28 2016, 01:10 PM) *

the issue isn't the fit of the screw but it's the amount of space to fit a box wrench or an open end around the screw because the casting of the case is so close to the screw.

Yes, but stock bleeders are 7mm, not 8. So if you've got 8mm bleeders, something was changed and now you have less clearance.
sixnotfour
flare nut wrench is way to beefy, just get a brake bleeding wrench,, but if your bleeders are wrong it may not help,,

http://www.sears.com/abn-offset-brake-blee...p;blockType=G1#
whitetwinturbo
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
JeffBowlsby
Seems to me the speedbleeders are 8mm. I use them and a standard craftsman 8mm box end wrench...no issues.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.