Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: front shock absorber/strut recommendation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 RZ-1
I need new shocks front and rear (struts for the front, shocks for the rear, correct?). Any recommendations? I couldn't easily find anything on this site, so I thought I'd just post.

Not sure if I have Boge struts. How do I tell?

Bilsteins are pricey, and I hear KYB are not very good. Is there anything in between? I've looked on Pelican and AA so far.

I just want something similar to the stock ones; I don't need them stiffer for racing or anything fancy.

Thanks!
Tom_T
Boge Struts are black, but they make inserts by all the choices.

KYB & Boge/Sachs are not great, but Bilstein & Koni are great & will last longer too.

I think Koni still gives a lifetime warranty to the original buyer of them.

Back in the day, I chose Koni over Bils cuz I thought they'd handle better, & wasn't disappointed at all - good firm handling, with a nice street ride on Koni Classic Reds, with a rebuilt to street stock 2L suspension in my first rest on 1980-83. I can get mine rebuilt now anytime with that lifetime warranty AFAIK.

For best pricing, get your part numbers from one of those suppliers, & then google for best pricing. You can also sign up for all of the 914/Porsche parts suppliers email specials, then just wait for a sale.

You can also buy direct from Koni, & they'll have ads with discounts in Panorama, Excellence & other car magazines.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
914 RZ-1
Thanks Tom!

I found these for the front: https://propartsusa.com/products/koni-sport...-1077sport-1510

The Classic Reds you refer to are for the back, correct?.

Seems like $160-300 is the price range. I haven't bought shocks, so I don't know. Just want to make sure I'm looking in the right range for my application (ie, not racing or fancy, just stock or better).
mepstein
Stock is Boge/Sachs and is actually a very nice shock. Bilsteins and Konis are top of the line. Don't bother with kyb's. They make you wonder if the shock is already worn out. You will probably need new springs on the back. 90lbs are usually pretty stock while 100lbs are a touch firmer and will lower the car 1" on boge shocks. Bilsteins are more adjustable for height -as is.

Save your old shocks. You might need some of the parts, like spring perches and rubber bumpers.

Typically a warrany covers defects in materials and workmanship, not general wear or age. I would be surprised if koni will rebuild your shocks just because they are old and worn. Read the fine print on your origional purchase agreement.
michael7810
Eric at PMB sells shocks and can help with choices.
bdstone914
Koni are nice but be sure the supplier actually has them in stock. They have been in short supply lately.
jim_hoyland
Timely topic; I'm in the process of shopping for a new set of shocks to replace my 30 year old Konis.
Looking at Bilstein B6's front and back. I compared pricing betwee eShocks.com and Shockwarehouse: not a big difference in prices.
Also talking with Clint at Rebel Racing for adjustable rear coilovers and his adjustable bump steer kit. The plan is to lower the car st the same time
914forme
When I got my last set Paragon ordered all that Koni had. Sad thing is my set of shocks went from Northern KY to TX then back to Ohio blink.gif

I highly recommend the Rebel Racing pieces aktion035.gif
jmill
QUOTE(914forme @ Nov 27 2016, 06:08 PM) *

I highly recommend the Rebel Racing pieces aktion035.gif

agree.gif I have their rear adjustable perches plus their front bushings. Awesome stuff. He can set you up with new rear springs too.

I bought my Bilsteins from Eric.
Larmo63
I bought this set-up from Clint at Rebel Racing too...Click to view attachment
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Nov 27 2016, 04:37 PM) *

I bought this set-up from Clint at Rebel Racing too...Click to view attachment

What size springs ? 2 1/4 or 2 1/2"
Do you have the helper springs too ?
914_teener
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Nov 27 2016, 12:00 PM) *

I need new shocks front and rear (struts for the front, shocks for the rear, correct?). Any recommendations? I couldn't easily find anything on this site, so I thought I'd just post.

Not sure if I have Boge struts. How do I tell?

Bilsteins are pricey, and I hear KYB are not very good. Is there anything in between? I've looked on Pelican and AA so far.

I just want something similar to the stock ones; I don't need them stiffer for racing or anything fancy.

Thanks!

I agree with what the others have said.

Call Clint at Rebel Racing and have him set you up with Billy's on all four corners.

You won't be disappointed. Any money spent on the suspension on a 914 is well worth it. Don't go cheap.

tygaboy
I went w/Koni. Got them through Rich Johnson (a914guy). He was very helpful in assembling an entire package (spring rates, sway bar and torsion bar recommendations) based on my plans for the car.
kgruen2
Looking to lower my '73 2.0. Anyone have a recommendation for a good shop in the Southern California area? Thanks.
whitetwinturbo
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
kgruen2
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Nov 28 2016, 09:13 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif

??? confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.