Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Bumper Dog Bones
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
simonjb
So I took off my front bumper this weekend to repair a fog light (1974 model. That evening I was looking through the Haynes manual and noticed on page 192 that they show a "shim". I believe this is also called a dogbone?

In any case, mine didn't have them. Can someone confirm that these go between the rear of the bumper and the front body panel?

Thanks
malcolm2
Can you see a place on the car or the bumper that is clean and "dogbone" shaped? around the 2 bolt holes on either side of the bumper? You should have had them.

Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
A lot of people tape them in place when the install the bumper. Check the back side of the bumper itself. The are available new from 914Rubber I think. If not, lots of people have a spare or two around.
Jett
I have a set for free (from Gerold), just pay shipping.

PM if you need them.

Cheers
malcolm2
QUOTE(simonjb @ Nov 28 2016, 10:33 AM) *

So I took off my front bumper this weekend to repair a fog light (1974 model. That evening I was looking through the Haynes manual and noticed on page 192 that they show a "shim". I believe this is also called a dogbone?

In any case, mine didn't have them. Can someone confirm that these go between the rear of the bumper and the front body panel?

Thanks

Hey, consider this option when you are putting the bumper back on. It has been a while since I did this, and I am sorry I have no photos. Maybe someone will chime in...

1. the factory installation method with bolts being installed thru the fender well is very difficult to do by yourself.

2. this option is a much easier alone job.....Get the proper size threaded rod. Cut to the proper length and de-burr the burrs left from cutting.

With the bumper on the work bench thread your 4 new short "head-less" bolts into the threaded holes in the bumper, slide the dog bones on the rods you just attached.

Slide the bumper on the car with the 4 head-less bolts being inserted into the 4 holes. go into the fender well and attached washers and nuts. DONE.

You might consider using the high strength thread lock on the rod-to-bumper connection. Do some test fitting first so you know the rods are the correct length, then mark them, removed them, add thread lock, then attach to the mark.

Next time you take the bumper off, you will be thankful. aktion035.gif

simonjb
Great idea! thanks
boxstr
Most hardware stores have threaded studs that will work for your application. Take one of the bolts that came out of the bumper with you and match the threads. Also get new nuts and washers, I like to use stainless,also use a thread lube when reinstalling.
Also, time to clean and wash the area behind the bumper, throw on some wax when done.
Craig at CAMP
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.