Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GMan National Report
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
groot
Wow.... I guess this picture says a lot..... This is how I found my car on Sunday morning.

Other pics: Pics of GMan

Garold was there... not sure how he survived the cold. But thanks for the help Garold!!! You're a trooper (storm trooper, that is)!!

Qualified 6/9 in EP and "raced" on Sunday under full course yellow. So, that's how I finished.
TimT
ohmy.gif Wowsers
Tom Perso
Gotta love Michigan... smile.gif

Do they make Blizzaks in your size???? LOL

ar15.gif ar15.gif

Later,
Tom
GaroldShaffer
It was umm, well interesting, yea, that's it screwy.gif I must be friggin nuts to have worked both days out on corner two. Saturday was the worst, horizontal snow/frezzing rain, 30 -40 mph winds. Would I do it again........ idea.gif YES!!!!! screwy.gif laugh.gif

It was nice to meet you Kevin, you have a nice racecar. driving.gif Sorry I couldn't help more, besides working the corner I was being a runner for tech and registration.
groot
I ran a few practice laps on Friday and realized that I couldn't select 4th or 5th gear. So, I had to pull the gearstack. Garold helped and was that 2nd pair of hands required to get the stack back in the gearbox with the transmission in the car.

I couldn't have done it without his help, which would have forced me to complete the task on Saturday morning when the rest of my crew showed up. Thanks, again.

Aside from the cold, sleet, rain, snow, ice and wind; I think the worst part (from a worker standpoint) was that is was so boring, no racing to watch....
GaroldShaffer
Picture from Kevin's link in this tread. Me and couple others in turn 2. It wasn't to bad, the guy holding the flags had a propane tank with a heater element on it so we were able to warm our hands & feet. I wish I had that on Saturday. huh.gif

Oh, it took 4 hours to clear the snow off the track so the racers could do their laps for their points.

On they way home, about 10 miles away from Gingerman the sky was blue and sunny. dry.gif
Brett W
DId you guys have snowshoe races after the main event? I know you guys up north are into ice racing, you gonna be the first guy with a teener to go ice racing? biggrin.gif
groot
Not intentionally. I saw one on his pit bike wipe out in the slush. He was okay, so we laughed our asses off at him.

My fingers went numb each time I went on track. This weekend I would have much preferred a closed car.

On the bright side... the weather looked so bad for the whole weekend I opened up my wallet and sprung for a set of rain tires.
Thorshammer
You gotta laugh, Because it beats crying.

I have been in this exact situation racing motorcycles in the Northeast. During my race one year it started to snow, and it was very cold, so in 3 laps everyone in the field fell down except me and two others. It was'nt skill, I had momments, but stopped riding like a road racer and put my foot down like I was riding dirt track. When they red flagged the race. and I stopped on pit road, I fell over cause the surface was coated in a layer of snow. They cancelled the races for the rest of the weekend. Fun. don't ever forget a torpedo heater and 10 gals of Kerosene for the weekend. Just be carefull not to fill the racecar with Kero. Hopefully your racing will be sunny and warm from here on out. Loudon National for me this weekend, weather looks iffy? Maybe rain. thats okay, I go decent in the rain. Will I see you at Nelson at the end of May???

Erik Madsen EP 914-6 SCCA
groot
Good luck to you at NHIS.

I doubt I'll be at Nelson. I'd have to change gears to run there and I want make M-O the very next weekend for a CENDIV national.

Provided the car holds together, my tentative schedule is:
5/14-15 Grattan
6/4-5 M-O
6/18-19 BeaveRun
7/8-9 Watkins Glen
8/13-14 Grattan
8/20-21 M-O
9/10-11 M-O Regional double
If I qualify---Runoffs.
Thorshammer
See You at Beaver and MO double. Need to some testing done cheap testing and I also hope to qualify.
Need to get some more sponsership. Funds projected to not be enough for the Runoffs, But we'll see. Hopefully the three deals I am working right now happen.

Erik
Aaron Cox
kev,

looks like fun...crazy weather man!
i bet it was 'chilly' in the open car ohmy.gif

how did the car run in the cold??

PS- you ever score that super header you wanted?
groot
I upped the venturis to 33mm and used bigger main jets and the car actually ran pretty decent for the 100 or so horsepower it has.

I'm still running a Triad header. Dave was kind enough to fab some stub pipes for me since the original set is with Len Hoffman. The real Raby engine is a few months away still and I have delayed my header plans for the winter. I am going to attempt to build my own to use with the different cooling fan and setup of the Raby motor..... and side exit exhaust.
Aaron Cox
very cool. glad tohear it ran good for ya.

AA
Brett W
You know in the South we don't have the white stuff you keep referring to. WE do, however have some of the best race tracks on the planet, hint, hint. idea.gif

If I end up running a four in the hill climb I will build a header for you that may work really well for your application.
groot
I'm game for that. I've got some bends already.
mudfoot76
Holy crap!

I thought we had terrible weather at PPRC last saturday. The sleet/rain/snow mix made for tricky driving, but at least it wasn't accumulating on the ground!

(Hijack warning)

I've seen on the Gman schedule a mid-week DE in May, and it would seem they are only charging $150 for two days of track time. Is that for real??? Thanks!
SteveSr
Holy crap is right!!!,I'm glad I was at Putnam Park!!!!!!

SteveSr
groot
GMan does many, many open track deals. Most weeks they have test evenings Tuesday through Thursday for ~$60 to run from 5 til dark. And they have a lot more open days than any other track I've come across.

GMan website
groot
BTW... that picture of my car may end up in SportsCar, I'm told.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (groot @ Apr 26 2005, 07:01 AM)
BTW... that picture of my car may end up in SportsCar, I'm told.

That would be cool, no pun intended laugh.gif
groot
Ok, so it made it to the SCCA website.....
Link to GMan Article
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.