Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back that thing up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gunn1
Yesterday after I solved the fuel pressure problem with the help of some members, and got the red 74 started. It was time to get it out of the shed so I could pull the red/yellow 73 car in its place.
While backing the car out I noticed it was a little bit of a chore to view the complete "Back up" area without really cranking on the neck. Part of the problem has to do with the rear view mirror that is missing, the rest is probably age.
(not as flexible anymore) Then the idea idea.gif of a backup camera came to mind. Much like heated seats it is certainly not a necessity, but can be very nice once getting used to it there are many kits out there at different price points. Has anyone here had experience with one mounted on a 914....I think it would be great on a 914 if done correctly. rolleyes.gif
Any positive or negative feedback would be appreciated.

popcorn[1].gif
Mueller
QUOTE(Gunn1 @ Nov 28 2016, 05:11 PM) *

Yesterday after I solved the fuel pressure problem with the help of some members, and got the red 74 started. It was time to get it out of the shed so I could pull the red/yellow 73 car in its place.
While backing the car out I noticed it was a little bit of a chore to view the complete "Back up" area without really cranking on the neck. Part of the problem has to do with the rear view mirror that is missing, the rest is probably age.
(not as flexible anymore) Then the idea idea.gif of a backup camera came to mind. Much like heated seats it is certainly not a necessity, but can be very nice once getting used to it there are many kits out there at different price points. Has anyone here had experience with one mounted on a 914....I think it would be great on a 914 if done correctly. rolleyes.gif

popcorn[1].gif

I have a back up camera in my Land Rover, thought it was the greatest thing in the world until I had to use it in the real world and not the test drive, for me at least I have to put on my glasses to see the damn thing, but I cannot use my glasses for driving or seeing out the mirrors, so I don't use the back up camera like I thought i would.

As with the TV at home, the bigger screen the better, but how big of a screen do you really want in such a small car?
zipedadoo
I have bought several backup cameras for trucks at work. The ones we use have a 7" lcd display and are very clear. You can easily see whats going on behind you but these systems run around $1200.00

We did buy a cheaper system for a delivery pickup from napa for $140. The screen is small and hard to see, the picture is not very clear.

I guess you get what you pay for.

If you decide you really need it, go for the good one. you will never be happy with the cheap one.

The best ones i have found are sold in the waste /refuse industry.

They are well made and give an excellent picture.

shades.gif stirthepot.gif shades.gif
mgp4591
How small is the screen on the NAPA unit? Is it large enough to help at all and would a different mounting position help on our cars?
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 28 2016, 09:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Gunn1 @ Nov 28 2016, 05:11 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

I have a back up camera in my Land Rover, thought it was the greatest thing in the world until I had to use it in the real world and not the test drive, for me at least I have to put on my glasses to see the damn thing, but I cannot use my glasses for driving or seeing out the mirrors, so I don't use the back up camera like I thought i would.

As with the TV at home, the bigger screen the better, but how big of a screen do you really want in such a small car?

Graduated bi-focals. biggrin.gif
matthepcat
My car came with no rear view mirror or side mirrors. Instead it has a plexiglass rear window with three cameras on it. The display mounted using the ash tray.

I hated it and removed the whole thing and it sits in my garage.

Part of the issue was the cameras used were pretty low resolution, but if upgraded could work well.

Click to view attachment
zipedadoo
I believe the NAPA screen is something like 5x3. It's ok. You can definitely see if there is something behind you it's just not super clear like the higher dollar models.
mepstein
Buy a modern car if you don't like driving a 914.
Gunn1
Mepstein I really like 914's . And Couldn't the same be said regarding a member that installs modern radial tires or a modern suby or V8 engine? Or a more modern Radio? Seems to me we All have done at least one of these modifications. It sure doesn't mean We don't like 914's
biggrin.gif
worn
QUOTE(Gunn1 @ Nov 29 2016, 06:59 AM) *

Mepstein I really like 914's . And Couldn't the same be said regarding a member that installs modern radial tires or a modern suby or V8 engine? Or a more modern Radio? Seems to me we All have done at least one of these modifications. It sure doesn't mean We don't like 914's
biggrin.gif

I suggest getting the mirror and cranking the neck. These gadgets teach people how to not know how to drive. They may be considered conveniences but I suspect they contribute to deaths too. In my 914 I feel much less likely to hit something than I do in my escape because there are no lights a flashing can't hear no buzzers and bells. At least the 914 has a functional rear window.

BTW, don't mount the mirror too high. It needs to be lower than you would think.
altitude411
If you need a camera to back up your 914 you'd be better off to just call Uber. blink.gif
The only thing I can think of that would be easier to back up is a riding lawn mower... sheeplove.gif
zach914v8
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Nov 29 2016, 09:35 AM) *

If you need a camera to back up your 914 you'd be better off to just call Uber. blink.gif
The only thing I can think of that would be easier to back up is a riding lawn mower... sheeplove.gif

agree.gif
7TPorsh
I put one of these in my daughter's car. Don't remember if it was this exact one.... Cost $150 to install in a Lexus IS. Navigation and camera in the mirror....Camera is integrated into the license plate frame. I can also track the car through GPS.... biggrin.gif

Cheap LoJack alternative.

http://mrkustom.com/rydeen/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.