Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB Subaru engine, trans and cradle.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
550 Wendler
Hi,
My son blew his 1.7 a few weeks ago and now I'm thinking of swapping to a Subaru engine and trans. I am an automotive fabricator with a fully equipped shop. I'm not looking to build a road beast. I am thinking 4 cylinders, no turbo, 5 speed. What year and model donor should I look for. Also if anyone has a cradle or other needed parts, I would be interested. I can fab my own but I don't have a lot of time. I prefer to buy already tried and tested.
If anyone has any or all the needed components, I am interested in buying.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Regards,
Russ Rodriguez
76-914
QUOTE(550 Wendler @ Nov 29 2016, 09:51 AM) *

Hi,
My son blew his 1.7 a few weeks ago and now I'm thinking of swapping to a Subaru engine and trans. I am an automotive fabricator with a fully equipped shop. I'm not looking to build a road beast. I am thinking 4 cylinders, no turbo, 5 speed. What year and model donor should I look for. Also if anyone has a cradle or other needed parts, I would be interested. I can fab my own but I don't have a lot of time. I prefer to buy already tried and tested.
If anyone has any or all the needed components, I am interested in buying.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Regards,
Russ Rodriguez

I'd go with a 2.5 in the 2000-2003 range. Same with the trans. A TY75 out of a turbo will have 4:11's and IIRC one from a Forester will have 3:90's. Exedy clutch. You might want to post this question in the Garage Forum. I detailed all of the hydraulic conversion stuff in my build thread w/ part numbers and contacts. I did a 6 but other than that it will all be the same. The cradle is quick to build. .090 Chromolly tube and fittings ran about $150.00. You'll be out about $900 to buy and ship one. If you copy any of my stuff just be sure to read the entire thread as there were some changes as it evolved. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=201776&hl=
JRust
I will be selling my current built 2.5 NA SOHC motor with suby trans from my 914. Sorry but still debating price for it. Dyno'd at 158 to the wheels. Pulls great & with the 5 speed subaru forester trans it is sweet shifting as well. Modified to use a cable for the clutch so stock 914 pedal cluster. It will be very close to turn key. Will include full exhaust, Custom Engine wiring harness for stinger ECU all from Outfront Motorsports. This setup has about 25k on it. You'd need axles for tranny, Cradle & the Stinger ECU. I'd be willing to sell the ECU with it but pretty much for the price it will cost me to replace it ($1200 I think for the ECU). Anyway I guess this is a teaser. Feel free to PM me about it. Quite a few people here know my car & it's drivetrain. Let 3 different people drive it at Red Rocks this year as well. I am getting close to pulling everything & starting my upgrade to my 2009 2.5 Turbo motor with an 04 WRX Tranny.

I'll be figuring a fair price for the setup.
mlindner
Buy the big two liter from Jkuehn a few down on this post. Beautiful engine. Mark
zipedadoo
I used a 2.2 n/a and transmission from a 1996 Subaru. My son uses it for a daily driver.

It's been great, very dependable and if there is a problem it's much easier to trouble shoot, just plug in to the OBD port and read the codes.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.