Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Were did you mount your Amps n how'd you run your wires?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914bub
I was going to mount 2 stereo amps. I was going to run rca cables to them as well as power etc.,(of course). I was wondering where you guys mounted yours and if there was a preexisting hole you stabbed your wires through?

Edit: I was thinking front trunk but would be curious about other possibilities.

TIA Erik
snakemain
Some people mount them to the wall in front of the gas tank. If you do so, be super careful not to puncture the fuel tank.
914bub
QUOTE(snakemain @ Nov 29 2016, 05:34 PM) *

Some people mount them to the wall in front of the gas tank. If you do so, be super careful not to puncture the fuel tank.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking. Gas tank is coming out so I should be good there.
snakemain
I also had an existing hole between the frunk and the cabin for wires on the passenger's side, but I also don't have any heater/ac plumbing in my car.
PlantMan
QUOTE(snakemain @ Nov 29 2016, 05:34 PM) *

Yep. When I had my 72 I mounted here along with a crossover unit. Because it was an amp I ran a larger power wire from the amp to the battery within the eng comp. I ran the power wire along the inner long (passenger) side under the carpet. I drilled a couple 1/2" holes for speaker/power wires. My subwoofer was in the center con, no center gauges in that car which made it perfect for a speaker. I had midrange speaks in the stock location and tweets in the doors. Sounded pretty good from what I remember.

Localboy808
Better question is where did you mount your subs? wink.gif
Kansas 914
I have a front trunk mounted amp - on the firewall (as mentioned watch the tank - easy if it is out).

Since my car has carbs I used the abandoned return fuel line as a "conduit" and pulled a wire from front to back in it. I wired it directly to the battery with an inline fuse.

For sub (8") I used this - it works great and no one knows it is there (unless you have long legs).

http://shop.914rubber.com/Subwoofer-speake...ed-914SWB-B.htm
914bub
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Nov 30 2016, 07:04 AM) *

I have a front trunk mounted amp - on the firewall (as mentioned watch the tank - easy if it is out).

Since my car has carbs I used the abandoned return fuel line as a "conduit" and pulled a wire from front to back in it. I wired it directly to the battery with an inline fuse.

For sub (8") I used this - it works great and no one knows it is there (unless you have long legs).

Good to hear on the sub. That's exactly what I'm going with. What amp are you driving the sub with? I have a 300 watt that the person who sold me the sub and footwell box had run together previously. The other speakers I'm using are 6.5" pyramids in 914rubber enclosures. Those are installed already and I'm happy with them but I think adding the sub and amp as well as adding am amp to the 6.5's will get me closer to what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the responses so far. My cars injected and I like heat so I'm still looking for wire solutions but if I have to punch a few small holes it's not the end of the world.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(914bub @ Nov 30 2016, 09:43 AM) *

Good to hear on the sub. That's exactly what I'm going with. What amp are you driving the sub with? I have a 300 watt that the person who sold me the sub and footwell box had run together previously. The other speakers I'm using are 6.5" pyramids in 914rubber enclosures. Those are installed already and I'm happy with them but I think adding the sub and amp as well as adding am amp to the 6.5's will get me closer to what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the responses so far. My cars injected and I like heat so I'm still looking for wire solutions but if I have to punch a few small holes it's not the end of the world.

I have a Boston Acoustics 4 channel amp (4X100 IIRC) with 2 channels bridged for the sub.

Speakers are also BA (8" sub and 6.5" with separate tweeters). I have the 6.5" in the 914Rubber enclosures.

I used a plain Jane Kenwood head unit with USB input to which I attached a small hard drive with 3000 songs.
Chris914n6
If you haven't bought amps yet... the new gen digital amps are small enough to fit in the center console or under dash.

Also don't run the speaker wires along any power wires.
ConeDodger
Mine is up under the dash. On the interior side...
lonewolfe
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Nov 30 2016, 07:04 AM) *

Do you have a picture of your sub box in your car?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.