Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Price Check, Aisle 5
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McLovin
Hi there,

This is my first post, and I need some help. I'm looking at a 914 locally (USA) and I'm trying to figure out if it is worth the asking price. I've seen prices all over the map. My problem is what you can't see in he ads, so here's what I'm looking at.

Factor in that I'm in the Southeast. The names have been changed to protect the innocent.

I'm considering a late '70's 914. It had a color change on the outside and door jams only, (not in the bonnets and trunk). Has nice alloy wheels (an upgrade), but they aren't fuchs. Has the 2.0 Liter engine, but no fuel injection.

It's running a single progressive carb, but it runs nicely. Has an upgraded header style dual exhaust. I'm told it has a new shift linkage.

Has a near perfect interior. But the battery tray rusted out, yet underneath the battery tray it seems pretty solid...I will poke around there in earnest before I get the car. No rust underneath the spare tire. All of the electronics work well and the car is reliable. I heard that a seat broke/came loose due to an overweight person sitting in it and it had to be re-welded.

Has a rust bubble on the read quarter panel, but not near the hell hole...looks like poor paint preparation. Other than the rust bubble, the paint actually looks pretty good.

So can you give me you opinion of the high, mid and low range that someone might pay for a 914 in that shape?

Thanks for any and all advice.
rhodyguy
might work better if you share the current asking price. Rust bubble/rotted tray (there's more), paint and all it entails. Does it run? Have you driven it? The first 914 you buy is normally the most expensive. What is your budget?
brant
Please get a locally 914 world guy to look at it with you

At worst you make a connection for future wrenching projects
Or.... It could save you thousands

The seat welding sounds like potential rotted floor pan
I would require, pulling the rockers. Something doesn't sound right rust wise.
RenoRoger
QUOTE(McLovin @ Nov 29 2016, 07:26 PM) *

Hi there,

This is my first post, and I need some help. I'm looking at a 914 locally (USA) and I'm trying to figure out if it is worth the asking price. I've seen prices all over the map. My problem is what you can't see in he ads, so here's what I'm looking at.

Factor in that I'm in the Southeast. The names have been changed to protect the innocent.

I'm considering a late '70's 914. It had a color change on the outside and door jams only, (not in the bonnets and trunk). Has nice alloy wheels (an upgrade), but they aren't fuchs. Has the 2.0 Liter engine, but no fuel injection.

It's running a single progressive carb, but it runs nicely. Has an upgraded header style dual exhaust. I'm told it has a new shift linkage.

Has a near perfect interior. But the battery tray rusted out, yet underneath the battery tray it seems pretty solid...I will poke around there in earnest before I get the car. No rust underneath the spare tire. All of the electronics work well and the car is reliable. I heard that a seat broke/came loose due to an overweight person sitting in it and it had to be re-welded.

Has a rust bubble on the read quarter panel, but not near the hell hole...looks like poor paint preparation. Other than the rust bubble, the paint actually looks pretty good.

So can you give me you opinion of the high, mid and low range that someone might pay for a 914 in that shape?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Have a reputable shop that regularly works on Porsches do a PPI. That would be money well spent. If the current owner refuses, RUN AWAY FAST.

Does the car come with maintenance records?
EdwardBlume
Late 70's ?? Like 79? lol-2.gif
Dave_Darling
The single-carb setup is not a great sign. The "racing dual exhaust" is very likely a cheap and not very effective aftermarket muffler on the stock 75-76 exhaust, or cheap cherry bombs on the lousy 75-76 down-pipes.

The rust bubble is likely coming up from the inside, so rot has taken hold of that panel and is likely much larger than the bubble you can see.

A broken seat mount is more likely an indicator of a rotted floor pan than of an overweight driver/passenger. The stock 914 seats can take well over 250 lb people over bumps without issue, unless things are weakened. (Usually by rust.)

More exploration is needed to come up with a value. I would not pay anywhere near top dollar for a car like that. Assuming things aren't worse than described, I wouldn't go over $5K and probably not even that high.

....Actually, I wouldn't even bother looking at it, because I'm a cheap SOB and I already have a 914... wink.gif

--DD
Rsjg911
Where's there smoke...or...Run Forrest, Run!

Unless you are a proficient wrencher or have deep pockets it sounds like a perpetual project car. Spend more money on a better car and you will be rewarded immediately and down the road.

I'd pass, but that's my 2 cents.

Good luck and welcome!

welcome.png
flat4guy
If you can't go see the car have someone check it out, and ask for LOTS of pics in the usual rust spots. Keep us posted and good luck.
Rand
Did we hear anything on the price front yet? What's the seller asking? Plenty of cons and red flags, but if it's cheap enough and you're a good wrench and fabricator, maybe.
Ansbacher
A single-carb setup is an immediate alarm. If the previous owner did that to the car what other atrocities did he commit? I would not even consider a telephone call about this car. Keep looking and good luck.

Ansbacher
Amphicar770
Sounds like someone has done the very minimum to either just keep it running or to sell it. As others have indicated, lots of warning signs before even digging very deep. A PPI by someone knowledgeable is definitely in order.

Click to view attachment
tomh
You aren't going to find one of these cars without rust somewhere so just try and come to terms with what you think you can deal with, as far as price, all over the map like any other classic.
Keep it all in perspective and have fun but never go broke doing a hobby.
Rand
I haven't seen any numbers yet, so just to get something started, I wouldn't pay $2000 for it based on what you've said. Could be worth a lot more or less, but the unanswered questions make it impossible to advise.
My 914
I'm curious about the asking price as well, just to see what range you're in.
krazykonrad
First things first: welcome.png

Second, get us some pictures. You will soon become familiar with:
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Look underneath, this is where the dark magic (i.e. RUST) happens. Also, in the longs, the hell hole, under the seats, in the ashtray, above the radio, etc.

914s are great cars, but they rust like crazy when, and even if, they are properly maintained.

As the 356 community has shown us, rust is a relative thing. There are plenty of old 356s that have rusted down to the trunk handle and been restored with the injection of a boatload of $$$.

One day, hopefully soon, 914s will be at the same price-point. The Elders speak of far-gone days when you couldn't give away 356, even in good shape.

If you are still reading this, let us help you. A 914 will beat the pants off a stock 911 any day of the week.

My free advice,
Polonius
krazykonrad
Also,
Click to view attachment
McLovin
Thanks for the replies. And the welcome. And the recognition of my cool name....can't believe it wasn't taken. The price is north of $8.000. I didn't want to bias you guys by throwing it out there. I was looking at trading another car for it, but you guys have spooked me somewhat. I am good with a wrench and have done a little metal work, but I don't want a perpetual project. I'm still going to look at it, but I did ask for detailed pix. I guess we'll see what I get when I get them.

Thanks for the help.

McLovin
rhodyguy
Imho, that's waaaay to much $. After MOST of the dust settles you be into it x2 and no telling how long the project will take. Go thru the classified and and see what $16k buys.
914_teener
QUOTE(McLovin @ Nov 30 2016, 07:48 PM) *

Thanks for the replies. And the welcome. And the recognition of my cool name....can't believe it wasn't taken. The price is north of $8.000. I didn't want to bias you guys by throwing it out there. I was looking at trading another car for it, but you guys have spooked me somewhat. I am good with a wrench and have done a little metal work, but I don't want a perpetual project. I'm still going to look at it, but I did ask for detailed pix. I guess we'll see what I get when I get them.

Thanks for the help.

McLovin

Run Forrest.
malcolm2
I wanted a project and I got one.... they all end up being more than you think. But now I have touched, removed, fixed, re-installed just about everything on my car. Some things more than once, some more than twice. I would be comfortable driving it across the country.

And have made quite a few 7 hour trips in it. I rolled the ODO back while the speedo was out, the "new" car now has 28K miles on it in 3.3 years of almost daily (rain-free) driving. 1.8 liter modified to a 1911 cc and factory L-Jet and a Dr Evil built tranz (the only thing I did not crack open myself).

I had not welded anything since 1980. But I put new pans in, touched up the rear trunk, removed the AC and added the front trunk back in, did Hell Hole and foot pedal work. All fun stuff if you are game.

Enjoy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.