Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It runs! It drives!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porsche Rescue
At long last I have driven my prize. Last summer I bought a 30,000 mile Phoenix red '74 from the original owner. He had shown it and autocrossed it for many years. He blew up a race engine, decided he
had put enough time and money in it,and offered it for sale on the Rennlist. I got the car and a palet box full of engine pieces delivered from Tennessee to Oregon last October. While negotiating to buy it, I found a '74 2.0 in pieces here locally. Car had been dismanteled and engine rebuilt in 1984. Went through two owners before me, the fresh engine never installed or filled with oil. I bought the project and sold all but the engine/trans (rust free body went to Camp 914 and from there to a guy with real deep pockets who is having a Ginther look-a-like street racer built from it). Craig Laughlin (Camp 914) helped me install the engine a few weeks ago.
Finally got it together and ready to start. After correcting a couple of my boo-boos (forgot to connect tranny ground strap; had distributor 180 out), I lit the fire today. What a car! Has adjustable Konis, big brakes, short shift, hard bushings and truly only 30K miles. It's like a new 914. Did a 20 minute cam break-in in the garage, changed the oil and put 50 road miles on. Tomorrw I adjust/sync. the carbs and get the timing a little closer. Hope to have enough miles on her by 7/20 to bring her out at our next PCA autocross. Life is good (no oil leaks yet)! (Also must credit JP Stein who loaned me his engine jack and held my hand a bit while I fumbled around trying to light the fire).
MarkV
Congratulations boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif
Bruce Allert
Good going Jim!
Way to give a hand Craig..
Great hand holding JP smilie_pokal.gif
I wanna ride (sans camera laugh.gif )

I forsee this happening to me in the near future... 2.0 goin' into Punkin along with a new 2nd gear synchro. I can feel it, the right engine is just around the corner clap56.gif
bruce
J P Stein
Hay, I just listened to Jim talk till he came up with the right answer....
No big trick there.
Atta go Jim! beer.gif
Bruce Allert
When the time comes for Punkins "Trans-plant" I'd be real behold'n to you 3 if y'all would listen, hold mah hand & whatever else ya wanna do rolleyes.gif
(How 'bout some bribery)... Fat Tire on ice... Scotch.... cigars?? OK, OK Bar-B-Q mueba.gif
Gotta find the 2.0 first.
bruce
J P Stein
Jim:

Now that your 914 is moving under it's own power, you NEED to roll it out in the sunshine and take some pics.....you might wanna post em' here, also.
That car is the spiffiest 914 I've ever seen (in real life). It looks like it has 41 miles on it rather than 41K.
Bruce Allert
Ya, we want pics chowtime.gif
bruce
vortrex
come on, lets see some pics!!
Porsche Rescue
I was hoping someone would ask. Film at 11.....am........tomorrow, or a little after. Thanks
Porsche Rescue
Ok, here is a side shot, engine lid still off until I get the carbs right. I will add a few more pics to the "My Pictures" thread nailed above.
Bleyseng
Nice lookin car Jim! 916 front and rear bumpers?
Boy, your car is crying for some Panasports like Chris Reale just got!!
Geoff
jfort
Nice looking car, Jim. I'm impressed. Should be meeting Brad Roberts et al. for dinner tonight near Mid-Ohio.
J P Stein
That's it? One freakin' pic?....nice houses, tho biggrin.gif
Porsche Rescue
When I tried to ad more the server quit for some reason. Adding more now to Members Pics.

No Panasports for me Geoff, I love the ATS's (have another set for track tires). If I do change, it will be to 4 lug Fuchs.
Gint
That's great Jim! Looks pretty sweet out in the sunshine.
J P Stein
QUOTE(jim9146 @ Jun 27 2003, 11:44 AM)
When I tried to ad more the server quit for some reason. Adding more now to Members Pics.

No Panasports for me Geoff, I love the ATS's (have another set for track tires). If I do change, it will be to 4 lug Fuchs.

Well.....OK, then biggrin.gif
Porsche Rescue
JP, I added a few more up above at the "nailed Members 914 Pictures", page 27 I think. Already taking the damn thing apart, exhaust leak. Even pros screw up (19 years ago). One of the copper sealing rings was in crooked and one of the nuts was missing. Also they used 13mm nuts instead ot the correct copper 12's. Only socket thin enough in my tool chest was a 1/4" drive. Didn't even break!Gave me a good excuse to switch to the ss exchangers which I traded for the "header" system which came with the car. Going to Olympia tomorrow to pick up a Triad 2-in 2-out exhaust. Won't sound good if there's a leak!
JRust
Way to go Jim pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif . That is the most beautiful 914 I have ever seen in real life. I have managed to see some nice ones too. For a basically stock car I don't think you will find one nicer! Maybe I can be at the next autoX. I'd love to do it before I sell my baby. WOn't be long now so I better get myself in gear! Cheers
Porsche Rescue
Jamie, if my luck holds and my 19-year new engine stays together, I'll be driving it to your place on August 3. You really should try to make the July 20 AX at PIR. Bruce Allert is still smiling from his first one. Besides, JP needs a cheering section. He and his driving partner Chuck West are always in contention for top time of day.
Porsche Rescue
Mike G, keep up with the "rustoration" journal on your orange six. I have an Irish green six waiting for similar work this winter. Not sure if I will go as far as you, but I guess that depends on how much rust I find. At least yours runs/drives. Not at all sure about mine.
Bruce Allert
when yer smil'n when yer smil'n smile.gif
the whole world smiles......

Ya! I'm still smil'n and can't wait for the 20th
will bring camera
bruce
J P Stein
Bruce.....ALRIGHT. We'll get your "course work" set up to be Photographer Station.

My son is coming up & bringing his camcorder. Gonna figure out some way to mount it & see if we can record a pass or 2......rain is NOT an option.
Porsche Rescue
Ok JP, you got the "Friday Flu"? Does the Aero Company know you are talkin' 914 at 6pm on a work day?
J P Stein
Ayup and I feel terrible....barely able to hunt & peck....I'll prolly feel better tomorrow.
Gint
Mike G, keep up with the "rustoration" journal on your orange six. I have an Irish green six waiting for similar work this winter. Not sure if I will go as far as you, but I guess that depends on how much rust I find. At least yours runs/drives. Not at all sure about mine.

Sure will. Right now progress has been stopped completely because of the broken foot. I pushed too hard a couple of weeks ago and ended up screwin up my back AND prolonging the healing process for my foot. I finally realized that I should just stay off of the thing and let it heal.

Thanks for posting the pics! That is one nice 914.
DNHunt
Mike G.

Sorry to hear about your health problems. We kind of expect these old cars to break but, its tough when the old bod lets you down. Get well soon and get back to work. We hate to see a good source of entertainment laid low.

Hope you are feeling better soon,

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.