Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Forget it! I hate tire manufactures!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
Anyone near Stuart FL? I located a set of tires in 255/50/16 I need for the Alien but the seller will not ship. I need someone to meet with this guy and pickup these tires and ship them to me. If you can help send me a pm.

TIA
carr914
That's a haul from me! Get a hold of Joe Obrien, he may know someone that could pick them up & bring them to his shop

FourBlades is in Melbourne, but that is still a drive
rick 918-S
Thanks, After I located these tires I did a search for a matching staggered set if Falken ZE512 in 225/50/16's. No joy! I effin hate tire companies! There is like one manufacturer that makes a staggered set of 16" tires for my car now. WTF.gif
jmill
Rick, buy the 17's. I just got my set delivered for $600.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(jmill @ Dec 1 2016, 07:18 PM) *

Ya, I was just looking at them. The issue I have with them are they transform the look of the car from vintage 1970's euro hot rod to a resto mod style car. There are some definite advantages to a shorter sidewall. Don't get me wrong, I dig the look and the trend but that's not what I wanted to achieve when I built my car.

I ran out of tire options when I had 15's on the car. I gave away the 15" X 8"'s and purchased 16"X8"'s and 9"'s. Now I'm running out of tire options again. Maybe Coker will pick up the ball and start making some classic Yokohama's that will fit the 80's Corvettes from the Corvette Challenge era. dry.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 1 2016, 10:40 PM) *

Ya, I was just looking at them. The issue I have with them are they transform the look of the car from vintage 1970's euro hot rod to a resto mod style car. There are some definite advantages to a shorter sidewall. Don't get me wrong, I dig the look and the trend but that's not what I wanted to achieve when I built my car.

I ran out of tire options when I had 15's on the car. I gave away the 15" X 8"'s and purchased 16"X8"'s and 9"'s. Now I'm running out of tire options again. Maybe Coker will pick up the ball and start making some classic Yokohama's that will fit the 80's Corvettes from the Corvette Challenge era. dry.gif

Funny you mentioned this Rick. I have the same problem with the wife's 350Z runnning a staggered set up. The tire choices are definitely becoming limited.
mgp4591
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 1 2016, 11:40 PM) *

But you can paint the flowers in the centers after the fact... even tape off more and glass bead them to get the RS look. I was thinking about doing a MW stripe in tape, installing them and see how they look. Probably fine from 50ft but we'll see. popcorn[1].gif
Good luck!
jmill
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 2 2016, 12:40 AM) *

The issue I have with them are they transform the look of the car from vintage 1970's euro hot rod to a resto mod style car.

I totally agree. I really like the look of 16's. 15's is too much rubber IMHO. I even have Some 16" Fuchs. But like you realized, the manufactures have us by the short and curlies. The choice now is to run race rubber or 17's.
JRust
Yeah the tire issue sucks. I love the 16's fuchs on a 914. I tried 17" before & just liked the look of the 16's better than the 17's. One issue I think was the 17's I tried had the rsr look. While my 16's had the black centers with polished lips (my absolute favorite Fuch Combo). I went with the 16's because I liked the look better. Funny thing was I ended up picking up a set of 17" with the black centers. They look great & I won't go back to the 16's now. So I think it really is how it is configured. My recommendation is to keep your 16's with current tires. When you want that look throw them on. For most your driving. Get the 17's with the plethora of tire options. I doubt you will end up changing them that often.
jmill
Jamie, that looks great. What size tires are you running along with rim width? Are you running spacers?
BigFour1973
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchRe...rearDiameter=17

What about tire rack?
carr914
16's Kick Ass!

Click to view attachment
carr914
At the Time, I would have gone 17's, but I couldn't find another set of 7"s

Glad, because I like the 16s, - a lot more suspension work, though!

Click to view attachment
Big Len
http://www.eurotire.com/
RickS
What size tires are all y'all running on 16s with 6s and 7s on a narrow car/very mild flare in the rear?
Larmo63
15s look more period correct.

Click to view attachment
RickS
I have 15 6 and 7s on the car and they look very correct. In fact I love their look. The problem with their correctness is finding high performance tires. Have some 6 yo Yokos which are about shot. Time to put function over form since I have a set of 16s 6 and 7s gathering dust.
matthepcat
I had BFGoodrich G-Force Sport comp2's on the back of my last 914-6. They worked just great. On tire rack and not super expensive.

Dunlop Direzza star specs are great tires and are available in 225/45/16.
ClayPerrine
I have the same problem.

The rims on my car are the 944 turbo fuchs. And only one tire manufacturer makes 245/45-16 tires for street use, Bridgestone.

JRust
QUOTE(jmill @ Dec 2 2016, 12:44 PM) *

Jamie, that looks great. What size tires are you running along with rim width? Are you running spacers?

225's in front & 245's in back
whitetwinturbo
17's are the minimum if you want modern rubber beer.gif
RickS
17s are about the minimum. Got them on the Rooster. Contis Extreme Contact D/W. Love em

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Love this fat tire look. Vintage

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.