Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Six conversion w/ 2.7 engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
I am curious as to what kind of oil cooler setup is required or recommended
when installing a stock 74-77 2.7 911 engine. Use stock t-stat control valve, stock cooler? Any past experience would be appreciated.
Steve
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Dec 1 2016, 05:38 AM) *

when installing a stock 74-77 2.7 911 engine. Use stock t-stat control valve, stock cooler? Any past experience would be appreciated.

They run hot. I used a mocal oil thermostat with a Gt front oil cooler and shroud.
Check out patrickmotorsports.com for pictures and more information.
db9146
Do a search for Mike Fitton here. I believe he has an original -6 that has been running a 2.7 for a while with just the stock "on-engine" cooler. He may be able to provide another data point.
mountainroads
This question comes up occasionally, and I pay attention when it does because I have similar concerns. I can only provide personal experience:

My original -6 also has a 2.7 engine with only the stock, in-engine cooler. The oil temp has never moved into the uncomfortable range, even with most of the driving done on the hotter, drier side of the mountains from where I live. That's with "spirited" driving and it can get pretty warm over there in the summer.

The engine is currently in for a refresh. Previously running unknown spec cams ("Solex" was the closest approximation when inspected.) They provided great bottom-end, but petered out a bit at the top. Now running modern, "modified-S". We'll see if that'll make a difference.

- MR
mb911
My 2.7 ran got until I put a front oil cooler in. I would highly recommend it. I am going to run one on my 2.4 s engine build.
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(db9146 @ Dec 1 2016, 07:33 AM) *

Do a search for Mike Fitton here. I believe he has an original -6 that has been running a 2.7 for a while with just the stock "on-engine" cooler. He may be able to provide another data point.

Here I am. Yes running a 2.7 in my original 914-6 with stock engine cooler with no problems, what better test than 11 hours each way to Okteenerfest at above posted speed limits. driving.gif

PS: Original matching engine is going back in after rebuild.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Dec 1 2016, 05:38 AM) *

Key is if you will be running it on track. Half hour DE's put a lot of heat into that 8 quarts of oil & you'll need the front cooler. If only street driving you're prolly OK with stock.
porschetub
There are other factors to consider,is the motor clean and oil free,how is the fit of the engine tin,are all the holes (unused) in the enginebay sealed up,are the sealing rubbers around the engine in good condition,and theres more.
These issues could be the difference between it running a good oil temp or running hot.
A few on here have had some success running coolers fan assisted near the gearbox,how good I don't know.
Problem is that the 2.7 is the last motor you want to constantly overheat sad.gif .
6freak
yeah its not a problem until it is ..lotta good points Ptub...those little flapper/defuser things under the car help with exspelling heat from under the car.I plan to add those and modify the valance with some holes ,motor temp went up 6-10 degrees when the original valance was put back on...good luck
smile.gif
Steve
Depends where you live. I did not have problems on the freeway. My problem was stop and go traffic in the summer. I added fans to pull air through the cooler when stuck in traffic.
GeorgeRud
I've been running a hot-rod 2.7 in my 914-6 conversion for many years, but did originally install a front oil cooler, thermostat, and AN12 braided lines to hook everything together. Though they may live without an external cooler, I didn't want to take any chances. Since I used to do driving school/ track events, the 2.7 would get hot, even with a front cooler. However, it never got to be 'stupid hot'.

I'd vote for a front cooler to help the 2.7 stay together. The only reason that Porsche didn't put them on 2.7 when they were originally manufactured is that we had a 55 mph speed limit at the time and they thought they could get away without one ( and then save money). Lots of pulled head studs proved that it was a false economy!
billh1963
I have a 2.7 in a '72 914. The car is only driven on the street (no track) and I haven't had any issues using just the stock oil cooler.
patssle
I have a 3.0L and tried to get away without a 2nd oil cooler but the temps kept rising. Couldn't do extended basic freeway driving and I pulled over at 250.
rudedude
Mine never gets over 230 in hot weather. Has a small cooler next to tranny with thermostat fan on it. Do wish it was a little cooler.
6freak
QUOTE(rudedude @ Dec 1 2016, 06:17 PM) *

Mine never gets over 230 in hot weather. Has a small cooler next to tranny with thermostat fan on it. Do wish it was a little cooler.

230 is pretty damn hot if you ask me
wndsnd
My 2.7 only hit 220 a couple of times mid-summer on the highway. Mostly it runs 180.
Stock engine mounted cooler.

Recently I regeared a little lower so the engine revs higher on highway. Will be interested if that helps next summer but around here it is 40 degrees out these days.
Larmo63
My 2.7 build is getting a Patrick/Setrab cooler.

Why take chances?
CMONNETT
Thomas,

You will need an additional cooler where we live.

Chris
porschetub
Interesting reading,many without additional coolers and no problems, these are real world examples ,a lot would depend on the ambient temp and the RPM range the car is driven in,I'am still learning to drive mine but I find that driving a gear lower keeps the engine more "on the boil" the motor I have is hardly what you would call torquey.
Had a spirited drive yesterday back from my friends shop after some tidy up work on the motor,fairly hot day and mostly 180 on the flat road with the temp going to 185 on the hilly twisties.
Then there the issue of me learning to drive a lefthand drive car on our roads but that's another story.......
JmuRiz
I'm going to try the setrab with dual fans under the rear trunk on my car...if that doesn't work I'll have to suck it up and do a front cooler (don't really want to cut up the front trunk).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.