Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Survey on Original Factory Installed Radios
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike Fitton
I have an early Blaupunkt Frankfurt AM/FM for sale in the for sale parts forum here and it is a mono version. I received a PM saying only "Stereo" versions were installed in 914's and 914-6's at the factory. Obviously you could order a stereo version (very expensive) but I would guess most 914's with factory installed radios were the mono version or they came over with no radio. Anyone have an original early 914 or 914-6 that came with a factory installed stereo Blaupunkt or Becker?

Click to view attachment
Rand
I thought they were all dealer-installed options, none from the factory? I'm going to learn something from this. smile.gif
Kansas 914
I am the second owner of an early 1972.

This the radio that was in my car when I bought it in 1978.

Definitely a mono radio.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
toolguy
QUOTE(Rand @ Dec 1 2016, 04:45 PM) *

I thought they were all dealer-installed options, none from the factory? I'm going to learn something from this. smile.gif

I don't remember seeing a factory 914 Porsche {Monrony} window sticker with a radio listed. Everyone I've seen listed radios on the dealer options list as dealer installed so having a mono radio probably cannot be excluded from 'original radio' status.
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(toolguy @ Dec 1 2016, 05:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Dec 1 2016, 04:45 PM) *

I don't remember seeing a factory 914 Porsche {Monrony} window sticker with a radio listed. Everyone I've seen listed radios on the dealer options list as dealer installed so having a mono radio probably cannot be excluded from 'original radio' status.

Here are a couple:

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Factory installed what ever you wanted to order from Blaupunkt, Becker or Grundig. Most dealers choose NOT to order cars with radios as another way to increase profit. Some dealers did order cars with pre-installed kits. The speakers and antenna's were installed at the factory and the dealer would install the head unit. MOST cars had Mono radios. Stereo radios did not come along until the 74 model year from Motorola. I do not know when the other European makers put out their Stereo radio.

The factory Emden radio was AM/FM/LW made by Blaupunkt or Grundig. It can be found listed on factory invoice. This radio was used across the entire VW line up.
carr914
One of my -6s had a Factory Blaupunkt

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
I've only seen two antennas that were installed in the factory location using the correct mast, the proper under fender support bracket or the provided hole for the wire.
For a dealer to install it the right way on a lower cost car probably made it too expensive for a 914 customer.
Dealers typically ordered the cars with no radio or antenna so they could install the least expensive equipment for the greatest profit.
A customer who chose to order a car using the option list is a different story.
The Blaupunkt Frankfurt has the right 'look' for our early cars for sure. We also have two speakers, (unlike the period 911)so a stereo really seems right.
Best choice for a serious 6 restoration ? Fill the hole in the fender and get a radio block off plate.
You can't hear the radio anyway.
johnhora
agree.gif
"Best choice for a serious 6 restoration ? Fill the hole in the fender and get a radio block off plate.
You can't hear the radio anyway."

EXACTLY....it's just extra weight

Sorry Mike...you definitely always have the best radios.... smile.gif
GeorgeRud
Though I will admit that it's hard to hear with the top removed (as all good 914s should be driven), the radio does make for a good companion on long drives. You can install a MP3 player jack by making a simple converter that plugs into the back of a Blaupunkt Frankfort that allows you to enjoy your tunes and keep the factory look.
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 1 2016, 08:08 PM) *

I've only seen two antennas that were installed in the factory location using the correct mast, the proper under fender support bracket or the provided hole for the wire.
For a dealer to install it the right way on a lower cost car probably made it too expensive for a 914 customer.
Dealers typically ordered the cars with no radio or antenna so they could install the least expensive equipment for the greatest profit.
A customer who chose to order a car using the option list is a different story.
The Blaupunkt Frankfurt has the right 'look' for our early cars for sure. We also have two speakers, (unlike the period 911)so a stereo really seems right.
Best choice for a serious 6 restoration ? Fill the hole in the fender and get a radio block off plate.
You can't hear the radio anyway.

2 speakers left and right would not do justice with a stereo radio need speakers in back. If a stereo radio was factory ordered on an early 911 rear speakers were added to the rear shelf.
ConeDodger
I think McMark has the most original looking custom radio solution. Up under his dash he has a Bluetooth receiver. The dash has no head unit just like it came from the factory. His car however has great tunage. It's Original and Custom. See what I did there? lol-2.gif
boxstr
Working at A Porsche Audi dealer in Portland, Oregon in 1974-75, most all 914s came in with no radio or antenna. It was a option for the buyer to select and the dealer would install. Yes, the ones with factory installed radios were optioned out at the dealer when it was being ordered by the buyer. It was all paid for prior to delivery.
Craig at CAMP
Rockaria
This is the radio that was installed in my car in early 1973. It is a Blaupunkt though it has VW knobs. It is not Stereo.

My car was purchased by a US citizen, new, at the Otto Glockler VW/Porsche dealer in Frankfurt before being shipped to the US in mid 73.

Click to view attachment

PS. The Blaupunks can be retrofitted with a cable to accept an audio-in connection for an iPod or something similar. Though the audio is not that great.
gandalf_025
Here is some of the paperwork that came with the radio in my fairly early 6.
I'd think it came from the Factory in the car..
I bought the car from the Dealer that sold it originally, when it was traded back with less than 24,000 miles

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
porschetub
Records show my car was imported to New Zealand as a 74 model but not sold to the original owner till 75,this was fairly common practice as we were often a year behind with delivery,choice of colour and spec was really limited from the dealers,you bought what was on the floor or payed/waited lots for ''special order'' cars.
My car came with a Frankfurt stereo and the PO told me it was original,I really not sure as it is the 108MHz model which indicates it is a US spec,the Europeon ones only went to 100MHz.
I'am keen to find out about imported 914's into my country,maybe they did come in as US spec cars I don't know exactly as yet,mine certainly is.
walterolin
QUOTE(Rockaria @ Dec 2 2016, 12:40 PM) *

This is the radio that was installed in my car in early 1973. It is a Blaupunkt though it has VW knobs. It is not Stereo.

My car was purchased by a US citizen, new, at the Otto Glockler VW/Porsche dealer in Frankfurt before being shipped to the US in mid 73.

Click to view attachment

PS. The Blaupunks can be retrofitted with a cable to accept an audio-in connection for an iPod or something similar. Though the audio is not that great.

I have that radio - VW knobs and all. 1970 Car was sold new buy a dealer in Memphis, TN.
Tom_T
Mike, my buddy who is the OO of the 71 bahia/black 914/4 had the choice of mono or stereo in many brands from the dealer, as well as those with 8-tracks, like the Motorola AM-FM-8-Track that was in my 73 2L when I got it from the OO back in `75.

Basically you could get anything you wanted from the dealers, & I think Jeff Bowlsby's classic 914 website's options listing gives at least one mono from the factory, although most were just shipped "radio ready" (i.e.: with speaker boxes & antenna for radio install), for the dealer added options route.

While some may have been squeezed pricewise getting their 914s new back in the day (I know I was a 18 months out of college) & chose the mono, & IIRC I would think that they could get a non-Blaupunkt/etc. (non-German) radio or player with stereo to take advantage of the 2 speakers/boxes - for about the same price as a new Blau. mono.

That's what I personally recall, since I myself did look at some new 75 & 76 2Ls back then too, & considered the dealer radio options, since I could finance the new car 100% for 5 years - vs. 80% for 3 years - with about the same monthly payment. So I looked at both new & used, but went with the 73 2L due to it's better power, vs. the "smogged" & crapalytic converter equipped 75-76 2L.

Bottom line, I don't think the other person was correct - & certainly NOT for the majority of 914s with dealer radios.

Happy Holidays! beerchug.gif santa_smiley.gif
Tom
///////
Mike,
Here is what came with my Six when I bought it..Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Mark Henry
I'd say all 914's sold in Canada by the VW dealers would have Audiovox stereos. In the early 70's VW's stopped coming with factory radio's so the dealer could sell radios as dealer options.
But even then the stereo systems were the VW Canada "authorized" dealer radios, I remember the radio system display the salesmen would use to sell you a radio.
They also used Hirschmann antennas.
Not sure what the Porsche dealer would use, but there weren't many P-dealers at that time so I imagine their 914 sales were few in numbers.

My '74 came from the dealer with a Audiovox AM/FM Cassette that was pretty good for the day.
Cal
My '74 also came from the dealer with an Audiovox.....these were pretty popular back in the day.

Charles Danek
My '70 has a radion on the COA - >>Link
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.