Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which starter to buy?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr. Roger
Aparrently these Bosch starters fit many Porsches.
Does anyone know if this one will do?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...bayphotohosting

Much thanks, smile.gif
Roger

'74 914 w/Renegade conversion kit.
BIGKAT_83
I've used the IMI Hi Torque gear reduction starters on both of my Cars without a bit of trouble. The last one I got was from a VW place. I got the 1.9 hp model for $161 shipped .
I saw another one this last weekend made by Powermaster that looked really nice. It didn't have the indexing mount like the IMI and cost a little more.

Bob smilie_pokal.gif
914GT
Like Bob, I'm using the IMI starter. I have heard the 911 starters work for V8s but I do not know what specific part number it is, if there's a specific one.
Dr. Roger
Did U get the IMI Hi Torque gear reduction starter for a 914 with a 914 flywheel? or does it matter wheather or not I'm using a Renegade flywheel with it?

RG
Mueller
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Apr 25 2005, 10:51 PM)
Did U get the IMI Hi Torque gear reduction starter for a 914 with a 914 flywheel? or does it matter wheather or not I'm using a Renegade flywheel with it?

RG

the Renegade flywheel is more or less a 914 flywheel with just a different center section to enable it to bolt to the Chevy engine....a stock /4 starter will work, but not as well or long as one rated higher...

do a search here for the IMI starters, someone posted a thread with a link with decent prices....

marks914
Get the IMI, its about $180. My 914/4 starter wouldnt even turn over the V8> I had a 1.5hp 911 SC starter and it lasted about 2 months.

Mark
machina
i just got this compact hi-torque starter on ebay. I hope it doesn't end up a $120 paper weight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.