Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cowl repair/replacement question:
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cuda911
Looked at a '75 1.8 today. I'm not really in the market for one, but the guy is selling it cheap because wife wants it gone. Overall, a very solid car, but needs some TLC. Needs a repaint for sure.

Trunk floor (rear) and cabin floor pans were replaced, looks well done. The car runs great. Interior is very good, but dash has the typical cracks. Seller says he spent 9K on an engine rebuild (of course, I will want to see receipts.) Seems like a mighty expensive rebuild. Maybe he meant that he spent this on the motor rebuild and the pan replacement.

The only significant rust remaining is the cowl, which is heavily rotted. What is involved with repair/replacement of the cowl?

Andyrew
My guess would be..

Take windshield out, Take dash out, clean with wire wheel, poke with sharp stick, cut out, weld in new.

That area where the body seal is between the cowl and fender is going to need some help too... Never seen that area non rusty.
mepstein
If the cowl is bad ( major pita to fix) there will be other places on the car with rot. You just havent looked hard enough or its been covered up really good. The reason I'm saying this is because cowl rot this bad takes a long time to happen and it doesnt happen independently of other rust on the car. I'm sure of it.
IronHillRestorations
That's a time consuming repair.
Cuda911
OK, thanks for the comments. That was my guess too, that it is quite a time-consuming repair. But, thought maybe you guys knew of an easy way. There is some additional rot, at the base of the frame for the triangle windows and front fenders. The fender rot looks pretty minor. A nickel-sized area (prolly 50-cent sized once its fully exposed). The triangle frame, though, could be rather worrisome. The rest of the car is very solid. As mentioned, trunk pan and floor pan were replaced.
eyesright

Save another one! Hey, I have some fresh looking rubber for your bumpers if you need them. Yours for pick or shipping.
Cuda911
If anyone is interested in buying the car, I can get you lots more info. The price is very good. He wants 4K.
whitetwinturbo
............that's a major repair with a surprise underneath you have yet to find. I say a lower offer is in the works............. sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Dec 2 2016, 02:54 PM) *

If anyone is interested in buying the car, I can get you lots more info. The price is very good. He wants 4K.

The price would be good if it didn't need the cowl replaced. It's sort of like saying - you're in great shape except you need a heart transplant.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.