Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: One Piece Door Windows
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
trick-e
All-
I'm wondering what this would entail, how functional it is, and the looks. Has anyone modified their doors and replaced the two windows with a single piece of poly? I'm looking at the product from Plastics4Performance and wondering who's done it and if it was worth the effort. Anyone with pics or input?

It would be in 70 streetcar. Perhaps a hillclimb or two. I've not looked at any rule books, but think I might like the 'look.'
Found here.
http://www.plastics4performance.com/all-pr...9&model=427
Mark Henry
Meh dry.gif ... I did the one piece window in my old bug...it was one of the worst things I did and in that case it was real glass and the window still (sort of ) worked.
When I restored my bug I put it all back correct and I'm so happy it no longer has that POS one piece window hack.

BTW if that's a working window with poly it will be scratched to rat shit the first time you use it and if it's no-op why da fuch would you do dat???? wacko.gif
krazykonrad
That must be along piece of poly if it will cover both windows at the same time.

Seriously, Porsche Motorsports has been using Lexan before Lexan was cool. Maybe an issue with fit with the thickness, but it should hypothetically work.

(Standing way back)

Konrad
trick-e
Thank you for the input so far. I've read much about the scratching. I would want to make it a working window, so that would be problem. It just seemed to fit the look I'm going for and heck, it'd shave off a few pounds.

My biggest concern was the mod of the door.
Larmo63
I wouldn't waste my time and/or money.
Rand
I get the idea of less weight and simplicity. But you aren't a racer. Show me where else this makes sense.
Mikey914
Yes,
Can be made, but you have to create an internal mechanism to hold the front. A lot of work unless you make it fixed. Also Lexan can be scratched fairly easily, so the up and down will take a tool if not fixed.
trick-e
Got it. I'll save my pennies. Thx
wndsrfr
First, welcome.png
THEN, When you get both feet down the slippery slope and want to do DE events & want to save pounds, then get a pair of early doors and completely gut them....no windows, no nuthin'....saves like 50 pounds...
Mikey914
I'd agree, gut the window assembly if you want to save weight.

And if you want Lexan, I do make a lexan rear window. That's a much easier swap.
Welcome welcome.png
KELTY360
If it ain't broke....... smash.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.