Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Source for Pertronix Ignitor and Safety Collars?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eddie914
The 2.7 six is coming out of the teener for a couple of upgrades and maintenance items:

Valve adjustment
Pertronix Ignitor upgrade from breaker points
Leak suppression
Installation of cam chain tesnioner safety collars
Engine bay painting
Relay board removal

What are the best sources for the Pertronix Ignitor and the tensioner safety collars?

Eddie
Root_Werks
Eddie, before you put the collars on, you might think about the oil fed kit. I can get a kit for you I think for $450 or so. They are much nicer than the standard spring things and stopper.

If you take a left handed points set, Jeff Hines might have a few Pertronix. He just grabbed some from me.
Eddie914
I'm on the fence regarding the oil fed tensioners. I was planning on the upgrade. All the owners of street cars swear by them. Lately, I have been hearing a few racers starting to question the reliability of the oil fed tensioners.

Go figure? I thought it was the other way around!

Without the ability to install any type of fail-safe device, an oil fed tensioner failure may result in major engine damage. At least with the spring tensioners, the safety collars provide a fail-safe feature.

I'm not sure what distributor my 2.7 Weber (formerly CIS) engine is currently running. I need to get out a mirror and take a peek.

If you have a spare bulkhead, I'll sawzall an access panel to take a look.

Thanks

Eddie
sixnotfour
I'll sawzall an access panel to take a look

YUP. its offical he's a 914 Owner.

Just put the collars on. GPR ignitor, or that other place P something.
Theres a mod you can do to the pressure fed so they dont collapse all the way also.

I am hording my ignitors.
TimT
The carrera tensioners are fallible, they fail rarely . There is a mod for this though, instead of a collar, you take the piston out of the tensioner, and place a small slug of metal in the bottom of the bore. The tensioner cannot collapse then

Cap'n Krusty
Pertronix? I wouldn't EVER again use one of those POS things. Every one I've ever seen has eventually failed, some in days, some in years. As for the tensioner "upgrade", to me it's an expensive move sideways. In addition, the little feed pipes are a known failure point. Use the collars, which list for around 20 bucks. Be sure to order the chain housing cover gaskets, too. The latest style conventional tensioners last 10-20 years., and the guards prevent catastrophic failure. As for the hole, it kinda negates the purpose of the "firewall", doesn't it? There's NO reason to cut it out. There's nothing there you can't get to with the engine installed. The Cap'n
Eddie914
Cap'n,

What should I use instead of Pertronix?

Thanks

Eddie
sixnotfour
Eddie, I will give Walt S. the collars wen. or thurs.
It prob. already has em the guy you got it from did pretty good on the mech stuff. just couldn't paint.
He was alright with a brush though. laugh.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Eddie914 @ Apr 25 2005, 02:59 PM)
Cap'n,

What should I use instead of Pertronix?

Thanks

Eddie

If you're running the stock CDI unit, what's wrong with points? If not, I ilke the Crane Allison. The Cap'n
Dave_Darling
For the Pertronix, All The Usual Suspects should carry them or be able to get them. I would suspect pretty much any Porsche-specific place could scare up the collars for the stock tensioners as well.

BTW, you might check non-Porsche places for the Pertronix. Some of them (a very mountainous one comes to mind) seem to retail them for less than smaller companies can buy them for wholesale!! sad.gif

--DD
BMartin914
Gint! laugh.gif Got one off him this afternoon and now we're rollin' again!
J P Stein
Capt'n:
Pertronix fail, stock tensioners fail, collars fail, oil fed tens fail,points fail, stock CDs fail.........get it? That's why you have a job....same for me.

Some things fail more than others. Some things cause other things to fail....like solid tensioners. Some things that have failed have been un-failed...like the oil pipes. Firewalls that have holes with metal covers could fail if you used too much C-4 to remove your engine.

I know that I have failed to impress you with any of my opinions, but maybe some one else will realize that many of your near & dear opinions are drivel.

Your buddy, JPIII biggrin.gif
Mike9142.0
Thank you for saying that JP, I was thinking the same thing. smilie_pokal.gif
tnorthern
Thank you for saying that JP, I was thinking the same thing.  

agree.gif

A wise man once said, You don't always have to be right you just have to shout from a higher mountain top than the next guy.

Let's face it car parts are one of the few areas where 300 people could have 300 different opinions of the same product. I have a Pertronix ignitor in my boat and it's still running fine after over 200 hours. You think your Porsche works hard? Ask any marine mechanic nothing works like a marine motor.... no tranny, no gears, just thottle and RPMs
Root_Werks
QUOTE (tnorthern @ Apr 26 2005, 05:05 AM)
Thank you for saying that JP, I was thinking the same thing.  

agree.gif

A wise man once said, You don't always have to be right you just have to shout from a higher mountain top than the next guy.

Let's face it car parts are one of the few areas where 300 people could have 300 different opinions of the same product. I have a Pertronix ignitor in my boat and it's still running fine after over 200 hours. You think your Porsche works hard? Ask any marine mechanic nothing works like a marine motor.... no tranny, no gears, just thottle and RPMs

agree.gif Well said.

I have had many, many Pertronix units, never blew one, none ever failed on me. Never had a problem with installs, rubbing ect. They have always worked flawlessly for me. confused24.gif

I have also run the piss out of stock chian tensioners and never had one fail. confused24.gif Oil fed or non-oil fed.

Bumb luck, idea.gif Probably, but works for me. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.