Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: another welding question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brant
Ok...
how bad did I screw up the metals?

what is the correct way (type of wire, type of shielding gas) to weld Stainless steel and regular steel?

to top it off this was a piece of galvanized pipe no less:
TimT
I wouldnt worry about it... it might not be the prettiest weld, but Im sure it will serve its function
lapuwali
That looks like an exhaust fitting, and if so, I'd agree with Tim. You mostly have to worry about stainless welding in structural applications. Any cracks that develop in an exhaust are usually just annoying, not life-threatening.
scotty b
It will werk just fine but for future reference CLEAN the galvanizing off first that stuff is VERY toxic. Second use stainless wire (mig) or filler rod Tig or gas) and when using filler rod get the closest to the same stainless alloy you are using.If'n you don't know the alloy go with 304 it is more or less universal.
John Kelly
That weld turned out nice (could have been a wee bit hotter) especially considering the galvanized...hate that stuff.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
brant
Thanks guys..
I knew it wasn't going to be the best....
but it is an exhaust and I figured at worst it might crack or something...

(it was on a sunday and I didn't have any correct wire, helium, or ability to go buy any.... )

thanks for the tips too.
I love this place.
I learn a ton from you guys.

brant
Brett W
When welding stainless you need to run a purge gas through the backside of the weld. This will keep the "sugar" from forming on the backside and creating a weak spot. But in your application I wouldn't worry about it.

Brant and others when welding anything galvanized you must clean it well. The fumes created from welding a galvanized piece can cause cancer and other bad problems. I don't know if this works on all galvanizing but it will work on CAD plated parts. Fill a small container with Sno-Bowl toilet cleaner. Set this container outside as very hazardous fumes willbe given off, and then dip your parts in it and let them sit there. A violent chemical reaction will take place and completely remove the CAD plating.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.