Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: converting turn signal buckets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JFG
I need to split the front turn signal bucket into a clear driving light (side light) and the orange blinker.

I have done this using a capless bulb holder but as it is black and bulky it shows through the clear lens and looks rubbish.

So i'm now going to remake the fittings using a BA9s fitting and bulb. I have found a few types, some ceramic or insulated and some with one or two wire connectors.

Am i correct in thinking that the single wire non insulated holders will earth through the body of the bucket? leaving just the live to wire up to the loom?
bdstone914
I doubt it. The buckets have arubber gasket that isolate them from the body. The only contact the body is rhe end of the U clamp and that area is not bare metal. Better to run a ground wire.
Spoke
The main bulb in the bucket is a BAY15D dual filament based bulb with bright blinker and low intensity running light.

Bruce is correct about the bucket being insulated except for the bracket holding the bucket to the fender. However the ground for the BAY15D bulb is connected to the bucket and is connected to chassis ground by the connecting wire.

Thus the white running light only needs 12V power with its socket attached to the bucket for ground. An extra ground wire is not needed.

I thought someone has a kit for doing the dual bulb conversion?

You could also do something like this:
JFG
Thanks both for the advice. I had seen a picture with only 1 wire running from the lower fitment which in turn enhanced my confusion.

Liking the led set up. If I had the extra in my budget (hadn't bought other stuff!) I'd have a full set for the car.
amfab
QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 4 2016, 06:41 AM) *

I thought someone has a kit for doing the dual bulb conversion?

I think Camp914 has a kit.
The LEDs are awesome though. Is it just plug&play?

Edit:
Oh duh, I just read the website where it says they are "Plug & Play"

SKL1
Highy recommend the spoke "fix." Works great, especially for the euro lenses. I first tried the camp kit and was not impressed. (in fact, if I could find them I'd give them away...)
Garland
Here is the link:

Euro lamp
SKL1
When I see some of those pix I can't understand why someone would put the euro lenses on and leave the god awful side markers. Either make it look like the euro car (without the side markers) or leave the US orange lenses... no car ever had the horrible US side markers AND the two bulb system.
Dave_Darling
Remember that the turn signal bucket is plastic, so you're not going to ground anything through that anyway...

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.