Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another front ride height question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chris914
I have a question about the front height on my car. I took my car to a recommended alignment shop to have an alignment. I told them I was autocrossing the car and could they set it up to be more aggressive. They do work on sport cars and do work on 914's. The car steers much better straight but the height in the front is 5-7/8" and 5-1/2" in the back at the donuts.

1.) In the front there is 2" between the fender lip and the tire (50 series Kumo's). There are sport Bilsteins front and back and 140lb springs in the back. It doesn't even seem right even for a stock alignment.

2.) Even after reading all the posts, As it sits now there doesn't seem to much clearance between the control arms and the body. Are the control arms suppose to be level with the ground? If I lowered the car they would look like they would hit the body.
chris914
Also what is the stock height?
Rough_Rider
Set your ride height before having the alignment done.
I'd suggest either the same front & rear, Or slightly nose down.

Some folks say go as low as you can get away with. IMO going real low 3" requires raised spindles & bump steers mods. Otherwise you'll loose damper travel, which would lead to dampers bottoming out = potential damper damage & zero suspension.

Are you on street tires or track?
If track then more negative camber would be beneficial. Otherwise stick within factory specs.
Front toe out could be added if AX is where you'll drive it, but this will make for a very twitchy road car. If your new to teh car toe out may not give you the confidence to really push it. Therefore try a hair of toe in.

chris914
QUOTE (Rough_Rider @ Apr 26 2005, 01:00 PM)
Set your ride height before having the alignment done.
I'd suggest either the same front & rear, Or slightly nose down.

Some folks say go as low as you can get away with. IMO going real low 3" requires raised spindles & bump steers mods. Otherwise you'll loose damper travel, which would lead to dampers bottoming out = potential damper damage & zero suspension.

Are you on street tires or track?
If track then more negative camber would be beneficial. Otherwise stick within factory specs.
Front toe out could be added if AX is where you'll drive it, but this will make for a very twitchy road car. If your new to teh car toe out may not give you the confidence to really push it. Therefore try a hair of toe in.

For now I would be happy to get it to 5". Does anyone know if there will be enough clearance between the control arms and the body once I lower it. The tires are 195-50-15.

How much cleanance should there be between them?
machina
get the front A-arms parallel or with a slight angle down, then set the rear height so the car has about .5" of rake at the rockers. That is how I did mine.

Go with some rack spacers and that's about all you can do without starting to modify struts and pickup points.
Mueller
I agree with synthesisdv....

I have no idea where you are looking at on the a-arms thinking they are going to hit the chassis confused24.gif

run 'em parallel with the ground or there abouts and you'll be fine
TravisNeff
I think I am right around 5" with a 205x55 tire. Dunno if it is good or bad, looks good though
redshift
I run somewhere around 4.25.

If you lower it enough to bottom out the nubbies, your shock mounts tend to destroy your beautiful hood, by beating out shock nut shaped holes, from the inside.

M
machina
here's what mine looks like using the method described above. the simple ride height measurement is meaningless when comparing to other cars unless you know the exact tire outside diameter.

that's with a 205/50/15 BTW...22.8" OD which is pretty short
chris914
QUOTE (Mueller @ Apr 26 2005, 02:12 PM)
I agree with synthesisdv....

I have no idea where you are looking at on the a-arms thinking they are going to hit the chassis confused24.gif

run 'em parallel with the ground or there abouts and you'll be fine

I just want to make sure, LOL
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.