Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bump steer bushing and
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MarkG
Spent Saturday re-installing front suspension; two questions:

1. I added the bump bushings when I re-installed the cross member, but WITHOUT loosening the steering columb lock nut.....sooooo did I just lower the cross member w/out affecting bump-steer geometry (i.e. do I need to loosen steering column to bring steering rack UP rather than just lowering the cross member as I believe is all that I accomplished)?

2. Had to raise gas tank a little to get 22mm swaybar to fit (replacing OEM bar). Should I pull tank and add somethimg to keep metal to metal contact, since tank is now resting on the bar?

Should be done next weekend..... smilie_pokal.gif
Dave_Darling
1--I believe that you did raise your steering rack instead of lowering the crossmember. But you may find that your steering wants to bind at one or more places during its travel. It is recommended to loosen the nuts and bolts as shown in the procedure, and also the ones on the U-joints in the steering linkage. Then tighten them back up again. (Unless I'm misremembering which nut you're talking about?)

2--You never ever ever want the gas tank resting on metal. That's what the rubber "holders" on the side, and the fiber pads on the front and rear of the compartment are there for. Pull the tank back out, get yourself some neoprene (or whatever floats your boat for this; I didn't like the shag carpeting that some PO had used in my car because it traps water and dust!) and glue it in place to keep the sway bar from rubbing a hole in the bottom of the tank.

Unless you like fuel leaks? wink.gif

--DD
MarkG
Thanks Dave; my kit did not come with diagram, just said to loosen nut on steering column under the dash.

Will solve metal to metal issue this weekend
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.