Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what kind of brake lines?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xsboost90
so i figure before i put the motor and such in, i'll get the brakes squared away and working. I installed my 19mm mc tonite, fixed my crusty brake light wire, and finished cleaning some of the residual paint dust off the underside of the car. Here is where things went wrong, i go to the local parts house to get some brake lines to run since some of mine have been bent up, and they have two- BRITISH- and - something line CONTINENTAL or something. These are besides the american obvious lines. I look and look, one has a bubble flare w/a v-shaped neck on the line side, the other is bubble flare w/ a flat line side like the stock line in my hand. So i get the BRITISH line, kinda confused but ok. I check, it fits my stuff at home so good deal.

I ran couple lines w/ no trouble to the mc and ps brake line, everything seems ok, but then i need to make one small S shaped line for the caliper-911- that goes up to the rubber hose. When i try to tighten this line in the caliper, it strips out!!!! Not the caliper luckily, but the line itself. Double checking everything, i find the new lines are somewhat loose even though they thread in ok, the oem lines are very tight when just turning them in. Seems the thread is different depths. NOW, do i want the continental or conventional or whatever or do i need something all together different. This makes me wish i had bought that brakeline kit i saw on ebay a few months back... wacko.gif
Cap'n Krusty
German "double flare" lines in various standard lengths (never the "right" lengths, BTW) can be obtained through Carquest stores. Usually have to special order them, but their warehouses deliver daily, more or less. They have blue dyed fillings, IME. I could chase down some numbers if you ask me after 0900 tomorrow .............. The Cap'n
xsboost90
i think those where the OTHER ones i was looking at, figures.
black73
Cap'n, do you know if any of the standard lengths are app. 4'? I need one for the right rear. My Carquest guy had never seen anything like those fittings, so he wasn't much help. A VW parts house said the closest he could get was about 6'.
xsboost90
yeah most the lengths are too long or too short, ive been doing some creative routing to get things to fit. Looks like ill be doing it all again tonite! I DID get the lines for the brake fluid container fixed though, i had cut them right above the mc. Melted the old stuff off the mc, reinstalled the metal lines on the top of the new mc and pushed them back on there, worked pretty good!
Cap

Can you sugest a 'flaring' tool that I can buy - so can make my own lines?

Thanks cool.gif
xsboost90
ok, while i was out on "business" i stopped by another store and they had the correct lines in stock. I ordered some of the correct lengths and they should be in tonite so yippie! Should be able to get my lines all run tonite and the brakes almost completed. Tire Rack also said my new rear tires should be delivered today so that will help too!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.