Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AFCO Racing Shocks???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
While doing a search for something else, I came across these guys:AFCO Racing

I like the idea of the aluminum threaded bodied shocks....

comments???

Brett W
Mike I ran the Carrera equivalents on my car and will be running either AFCO or Carrera on my new race car. They are good shocks and easily rebuildable. There is also a lot of info out there for tuning them.
andys
I have no opinion on their shocks, but as a company, I've dealt with few that are anywhere near as good. Great bunch of guys willing to go out of their way to make things right with their customer. That's been my experience with them. Oh, I have their ASA radiator I bought for my V8 conversion.

Andy
Brett W
Very true Andy. They have all kinds of stuff for making your car go really fast.
Twystd1
Mike,
I used to use AFCO on all my roundy round cars... Good stuff and easily rebulildable.

(I don't know if they have valving setups for our cars. It might be interesting to enquire with the AFCO guys and see what they have to say....

By the way... I am exceedingly glad you are still around.

Twystd1
Mueller
QUOTE (Twystd1 @ Apr 25 2005, 08:46 PM)
Mike,
I used to use AFCO on all my roundy round cars... Good stuff and easily rebulildable.

(I don't know if they have valving setups for our cars. It might be interesting to enquire with the AFCO guys and see what they have to say....

By the way... I am exceedingly glad you are still around.

Twystd1

thanks all for the info...I'll be calling them this week to get more info smile.gif

thanks Clayton...I was bummed to not see you at the WCC, I was looking forward to meeting you in person and buying you a drink beerchug.gif
groot
Valving will be your challenge, since they're not used to cars that turn right, too.

It can be overcome, with more homework on your part.
TimT
Koni also makes an aluminum threaded body shock. The 3011/3012. I have these on the rear of my 911, they wiegh about 3.5 lbs ea.

I doubt AFCO will have problems valaving shocks for a 914, you will need to supply corner weights, horsepower etc.
Brett W
I just got an email back from QA1. I am going to use my Carreras on the Honda. They are too long for my race car and I can't sell them for the price I want. So I am going to make some adapters and run them on my street car. Just going to up the spring rates a little.

AFCO really understands shock tuning and they can really be an asset in setting up valving. The guys that turn left only actually have a better understanding of shock tuning than many road racers. Shock tuning is one of the tools that they have to sort out an awful chassis. Look at the available info on the QA1 and AFCO website as far as shock tuning goes.
Mueller
QUOTE (groot @ Apr 26 2005, 07:34 AM)
Valving will be your challenge, since they're not used to cars that turn right, too.

It can be overcome, with more homework on your part.

yea, I've been reading up on the QA-1 shocks (formerly Carrera) about the valving and such and they seem to be fairly similar I believe with regards to the numbering of the values (2 thru 7)

I started to dig thru the Koni specs and their valving numbers seem to be close as well, must be a standard

Mueller
the AFCO website sucks with regards to information I think (there is a little teaser, that about it),

QA-1 is much, much better once you get into the PDFs....Koni is nice as well once you dig deeper into the race shocks that you have to configure yourself.....

the biggest pisser on the AFCO and QA-1 shocks are the location of the adjustment knobs.....not that big of deal for the rear, but the front could be a challange to adapt to a 914/911 strut
Brett W
Unforunately Carrera doesn't have the specs or part number on the strut insert that we used to run. I would go with Koni's up front. The 8611 is the one. The VW rabbit insert is the shortest insert that Koni makes. Using this insert would allow you to run a shorter housing and regain some useful shock travel.

As far a shocks go watch EBAY for the NASCAR take offs. You can get them at a better price sometimes.
groot
I don't doubt that these guys know shock valving for their application. I doubt they know it for our application, that's all. It's just my opinion. I went to Koni direct for my rear shocks (3012s). I know they know valving for road racing since the dude I dealt with was working on his production Sprite. I think you could get them to work, but I wouldn't feel comfortable unless I did the homework on the valving, too.

Now for the front.... I haven't seen a strut version of the QA1/AFCO/Carreras, not saying it doesn't exist, just that I haven't seen it. Do not use a shock as a strut.

Of course, you could always change your front suspension to a dual A-arm setup and then you can use a shock up front.
Brett W
Of course, you could always change your front suspension to a dual A-arm setup and then you can use a shock up front.

SSSHHH. Don't let all the secrets out. idea.gif

Kevin is right, Koni probably has more experience with Road Race specific shock tuning. They can probably share some experience that might be vehicle specific. That said their info is probably dated as the guys that are really doing the tuning on our cars have the real juice and it is their secret weapon.

For Mike, though this is not a strictly dedicated track car so some minor variations in shock valving will be lost to chassis and suspension compliance.

Good luck.
TimT
Truechoice can modify a 911 strut to house an adjustable Koni strut. I think it is about $600 for the pair,including the inserts. Other than going with Ohlins, JRZ or Motons I think the modified struts are the way to go
BIGKAT_83
Bilstein also makes a aluminum threaded body schock that uses a 2.25inch ID coil over spring. I picked up a new set of these a couple of weeks ago for my 914. These are also for the round track Guys like the Afco and carrea schocks.

Bob
Jeroen
are those adjustable?
got a part#?
Aaron Cox
bump for bob.....and mike.....
Brett W
I have a set of those Bilsteins. They are going on the super teener. I have the part numbers and stuff at the house. I scored the full set with springs for cheap. They are rebuildable and revalvable for a little money. I also found a site that does the dyno work on them as well.
Brett W
here are the shocks. They are extremely light

This is the shop I talked to about them.
http://www.shock-shop.com/Bilstein/Bil-ASN-ASNA.htm
Brett W
here are the shocks. They are extremely light

This is the shop I talked to about them.
http://www.shock-shop.com/Bilstein/Bil-ASN-ASNA.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.