Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Now I did it...I'm joining the V8 Club
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
As if I don't have enough projects....

A while back I posted about an unmolested '76 2.0 liter of mine and wether to sell it or do the stock restore. After much back and forth and endless questions to Craig Laughlin ( Boxstr on the 914Club and the man behind CAMP 914), we settled on a deal.

Craig got my 1976 and I got.......JLO and a Renegade Hybrids conversion kit! smilie_pokal.gif

Pickering Motorsports (the real PMS) consisting of myself, my dad (grandpa) and my son, will be tackling this project. Don't know how long it will take, and I'm not kidding myself as hopefully our 914-6 track car...aka..."The BEAST" will be back to us by summer. Oh...and did I mention I have to completely rennovate one of Grandpa's rentals this summer?....did I mention that my wife Doris, who let's me get away with murder, has already authored a new "honey-do list" based on me bringing home JLO? ohmy.gif

Oh well....what's life without a little challenge...

Without further ado...pics of JLO and the Renegade Kit.... beer.gif aktion035.gif mueba.gif

Bill P.

nine14cats
JLO's rear....nice ass!
nine14cats
another...
nine14cats
Interior shot
Aaron Cox
ahh.. he didnt throw in the 11 fuchs smile.gif
nine14cats
One more of the interior...it's in great shape...but we will b going for a color change....most likely in leather....

nine14cats
nope...Craig's a nice guy....but he ain't nice enough to give up those 9's and 11's! laugh.gif
nine14cats
Engine shot...I'll be selling the engine and tranny at a later date. The motor is a 2.2 4 cylinder with dual carbs. Runs really strong and is fast!....I'll go over the motor and let anyone who is local drive the car with it running. They can then help me pick and pull it for their own car!
nine14cats
Front shot....it's going to be scary cutting into that beautiful chrome bumper... blink.gif smash.gif I have to have a custom valence made to fit the flairs...
nine14cats
Renegade Kit....
nine14cats
radiator....
nine14cats
9 inch clutch and heavy duty axles....
nine14cats
recalibrated tach/speedo
neo914-6
Another member of the Porschev family smilie_pokal.gif

Why didn't you come on down to the little GTG for a maiden voyage?
nine14cats
water pump, coolant fill, and wiring...
nine14cats
Hi Felix,

At the time we didn't have a running car...and since it was clear our track car wouldn't be ready when registration opened...we sat out this year...

Next year we will be there when it's the PNW groups turn to host!

Bill P.
nine14cats
Next up is getting a few more things from Renegade...were going with heat and A/C, so a few brackets have to be swapped out, but for the most part we are ready.

The car is really nice to drive and ride in. Craig was spot-on when he said the thing was setup. Adjustable Koni's, swaybars front and rear, 911 brakes front and rear, JLO rides nicer than any 914 I've owned (4 and counting).

We've also decided on a 350 SBC....too many nice, cheap, goodies to pass on it. We'll play with the cam to see if we can move the torque band up a little and save the poor little 901....my 930 box will have to wait for an overhaul since I'm still recovering from the race car's 915 full WEVO rebuild including LSD and short gears.... wacko.gif

I'm happy smilie_pokal.gif

Bill P.
914GT
The fun (or insanity?) begins! clap.gif
tesserra
Why didn't you just buy the other yellow v8 car Craig had? That car was set up and done. Did you get to see it? That looked like an awesome car.
I guess building it is cool too.
Good luck, and if you are going with the AC you should use the RH serpentine belt set up. All my problems I have had with my car come back to the V belt setup.

George
redshift
ohmy.gif
nine14cats
Thanks Guy! I'll be in touch... laugh.gif I only hope ours comes out half as nice as yours!

George....we wanted a family project...I guess we got what we asked for blink.gif

I'm ordering the serpentine system tomorrow...

Bill P.
tnorthern
So what are you going to be selling off the new car? Only car guys would buy a car that nice and turn around and tear it up laugh.gif Looks very nice though good buy.
Mueller
excellent choice Bill smile.gif

That car deserves a nice big motor......I'm sure you'll do it justice clap.gif
Root_Werks
Yellow is faster! laugh.gif

I love that car, nice score Bill! smilie_pokal.gif
aircooledboy
ohmy.gif

I'm sorry Bill, but I won't be able to send you those pictures now, as seeing the car you scored has caused me to be so envious that I have no choice but to hate you. Sorry man. confused24.gif chair.gif

chairfall.gif w00t.gif
That is a GREAT place to start a conversion. About 5000 bucks from now, my exterior will look close to that good. I'll try to take those pics tonight. beerchug.gif
propricer
Congratulations on a wise ( V8 ) decision - consider a 327 over a 350 if your'e going to stay with the 901.
Have had a 914-8 for 17 years and it has been my favorite Porsche by a wide margin.
If there is anything I can do to help you get the car finished and start your REAL enjoyment, just let me know ... I'm down the road in Morgan Hill.
Randal
Nice car Bill.

Can I be first on the ride list once you get that alu. block chevy in there?

How about this one: My Webpage

A lot cheaper than building one.
fiid
Nice job bill. That's going to be a fun project. Let me know if I can help at all!!

skline
With Chrome bumpers getting to be fewer these days, I think I would look for one that is dented in the front where you need to cut and save the good one. I would go fiberglass before I cut up a nice straight chrome bumper. You just dont see them much anymore.
markb
QUOTE (skline @ Apr 26 2005, 10:28 AM)
With Chrome bumpers getting to be fewer these days, I think I would look for one that is dented in the front where you need to cut and save the good one. I would go fiberglass before I cut up a nice straight chrome bumper. You just dont see them much anymore.

agree.gif with scott on this one. Save the bumper! There are tons of bumpers out there to choose from rather than cut up a good one. Just my .02
nine14cats
Yep...I know about the bumper prices...but then I'd have to by a bent bumper, cut it, and have it chromed...and I already have one here....

Depends how I go about doing it...but I want chrome...

Kinda like this...

Bill P.
914GT
QUOTE (markb @ Apr 26 2005, 01:14 PM)
QUOTE (skline @ Apr 26 2005, 10:28 AM)

agree.gif with scott on this one. Save the bumper! There are tons of bumpers out there to choose from rather than cut up a good one. Just my .02

For sure... don't cut up that nice bumper! I would expect the way you're mounting that RH radiator prevents this, but it would be nice to keep that bumper and intake the air from underneath or behind the bumper. On the DH setup the radiator tilts back so air can be brought up from the trunk bottom. It might also be feasible to place a small deflector or spoiler behind the opening to increase the pressure at driving speeds. Here's our intake openings:

nine14cats
but...but... smash.gif

I like the DH setup alot...I was going to go with a DH kit but the RH system complete was priced too attractive not to go for it...the way the RH radiator sits...you have to cut the bumper...

come on guys...you're gonna make me go buy another bumper? confused24.gif wacko.gif

Craig said he spent $750 on the bumper alone....
Demick
Very nice Bill. I might take some of that brown interior off your hands when the time comes for the color change. If my motor wasn't running so good right now I'd be tempted to take that 2.2 six off your hands as well. Twist my arm and I might be able to be persuaded. Let me know.

Demick
neo914-6
Bill,
Maybe you can divert air from the two grilles toward the center radiator as well as the lower valance holes. It looks close to the square open area. This is how I plan to feed Boxster rads. If it doesn't work, sawzall-smiley.gif
nine14cats
Hi Demick,

Nope...it's a 2.2 four cylinder...nice and healthy, but a 4. I'll put you first on the list when I get to moving around the interior. I just need core seats to work with, if you've got them.

I still have a set of cores to give to Fiid from the first swap of seats... smile.gif

Felix,

I'm still leaning towards the recommended cut in the bumper. Renegade's system works if you follow the directions.... laugh.gif

Bill P.
neo914-6
QUOTE (nine14cats @ Apr 26 2005, 04:48 PM)
Felix,

I'm still leaning towards the recommended cut in the bumper. Renegade's system works if you follow the directions.... laugh.gif

Bill P.

You know instructions are the first things I throw out. How are you going to teach your son ingenuity? laugh.gif

When Brad's crew installed my Renegade rad, they left my bottom trunk opening and didn't cut holes in the wheel wells. screwy.gif They/he figured they'd change it if it didn't work...

BIGKAT_83
On my first V8 914 I cut a 3x18" opening in my front bumper and a 1.5x18" opening in my LE valance for the air intakes and then cut the standard openings in the fender wells for the exhaust. I don't have the dimensions of these handy.
A couple of summers ago I used tape and cardboard and made the openings about half size just to see how it would cool on a hot 90/100 degree day. I had no trouble at all. I'd stop the car on the side of the road and disconnect the fans and let the temps get to 220 or so and then drive at 50 mph. The water temp would get back to 170 in less than a mile.
In stop and go traffic it would run right at the thermostat 170/180 with the fans turning on and off. I used the car like this for a couple of days.
On the my new V8 conversion I've cut the bumper opening no bigger than what is used for a 914GT oil cooler opening in the bumper and valance. I figure its alot easier to make the holes bigger than it is to make them smaller.

Bob biggrin.gif
Demick
QUOTE (nine14cats @ Apr 26 2005, 04:48 PM)

Nope...it's a 2.2 four cylinder...nice and healthy, but a 4.

Oops. I apparantly didn't even look at the pic or read your description. wacko.gif duh!

Demick
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.