Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for a g-force meter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chris914
Has anyone used the G-Tech Race Ready Performance Meter?

Or does anyone have any suggestions on another model?

jonwatts
I bought mine from here about a month ago, have yet to use it. I think this is a good price for what it is; much better than the $120 magazine price they used to go for. I've heard it called a toy, but I've also seen that the HP numbers it gives are close enough to real dyno numbers to be more than a toy.

chris914
QUOTE (jonwatts @ Apr 25 2005, 08:22 PM)
I bought mine from here about a month ago, have yet to use it. I think this is a good price for what it is; much better than the $120 magazine price they used to go for. I've heard it called a toy, but I've also seen that the HP numbers it gives are close enough to real dyno numbers to be more than a toy.

I was looking at the "G-Tech Race Ready Performance Meter" for $299. My concern is it measures rpm and speed by the sound of the engine.
lapuwali
QUOTE (chris914 @ Apr 25 2005, 10:16 PM)
QUOTE (jonwatts @ Apr 25 2005, 08:22 PM)

I was looking at the "G-Tech Race Ready Performance Meter" for $299. My concern is it measures rpm and speed by the sound of the engine.

Hm. I didn't know that's how they did it. I always thought there was a lead to the coil. Measuring RPM using sound is, uh, a "sound" idea (sorry). If you know how many cylinders there are, measuring the frequency of the sound and converting it is pretty straightforward. If you know the gearing, speed is also easy to derive. If you have an accelerometer to back up the speed measurement (pretty simple) and a good clock, this isn't at all unfeasible.

Instead of $300, you can also try a simpler setup: Home Dyno

This is only $40, and it's reasonably accurate. Costs less than a single run on a "real" dyno.
groot
I believe the RPM is measured through the power signal of the cigarette lighter, not sure about speed (but it can be estimated with longitudinal accel and weight, which is probably how they do it).
Dad Roberts
Go to their website.....G-Tech.com......I think. I was looking into one around Christmas and checked out their site. They have a forum on there and it seemed to many peolple were complaining about problems with the G-Tech. At least enough were having problems that I put off buying one, and yes all signals are picked up through the cig. lighter. If you buy one and have better luck, let us know?.............Dad driving.gif
Rough_Rider
Their pretty darn accurate...
I was sceptical but bought one anyway. the RR version.

Its way cool with both lateral & horizontal G's.

Recently i say a test of all these handhelds against the Racelogic GPS unit. The outcome had the G-tech only fractionally outside what the 10K racelogic can do.

Once you've set the unit up for your car, its very good. I particurlarily like the road course g map. You get to see how many gs your pulling through the turns.

An issue with accelerometers is any pitch or roll in the car can exagurate the readings. But my 14 is pretty stiff so i figure the results are not affected too much.

Will be taking mine to a dyno sometime to compare the g-techs estimated power output. But that too is meant to be pretty accurate.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.