Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 901 transmission rebuild tools for rent
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mlindner
Just finishing my 74 914 transmission rebuild and short gears. If interested I will rent the six need tools for correct disassembly/assembly starting January. $125 includes tools and shipping to you CUS, you pay return within 30 days of receiving (est. $35.00). Also includes the 17mm Drian Plug allen socket. Best, MarkClick to view attachment
mb911
Very cool. Would love to learn to rebuild a trans.. I do everything else except trans.. I may want to rent them down the road. Plus make it over your way at some point..
mlindner
Sounds good Ben....Love the stuff you make. Best, Mark
6freak
rent dry.gif why not just loan? recipient pays shipping instead of trying to make a dollor of a bunch of broke MOFOs lol-2.gif

mlindner
6freak, ya I do understand....but I'm including shipping and covering the cost of tools if not returned, I do have over $300.00 invested.....so I'm getting $75.00 for the risk and packaging. Sorry, do not want to offend anyone, I have donated time, parts and information to a numbers of members. Best, Mark
IronHillRestorations
I'm seeing about $200 worth of trouble to make those, aka "deposit". smile.gif
Montreal914
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 6 2016, 01:33 PM) *

Very cool. Would love to learn to rebuild a trans.. I do everything else except trans.. I may want to rent them down the road. Plus make it over your way at some point..

Buy Dr Evil's video and dig in smash.gif

Fun project. After doing a stock ratio A-F-N-V-ZD, I did a close ratio A-F-M-S-ZD. I have a couple more boxes for future use. smile.gif
Mueller
I have no issue with the cost at all, my problem is the 30 day time frame! Who in their right mind can complete this in 30 days! hahaha
6freak
QUOTE(mlindner @ Dec 6 2016, 03:03 PM) *

6freak, ya I do understand....but I'm including shipping and covering the cost of tools if not returned, I do have over $300.00 invested.....so I'm getting $75.00 for the risk and packaging. Sorry, do not want to offend anyone, I have donated time, parts and information to a numbers of members. Best, Mark

its all good Rock on:D
mlindner
Thanks 6freak, and the 30 days is not firm, just keep people on task. And yes, Doctor Evil videos a must, purchase dog teeth, synhros , gasket set, before hand when you find them on sale. Best, Mark
worn
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 7 2016, 07:17 AM) *

I have no issue with the cost at all, my problem is the 30 day time frame! Who in their right mind can complete this in 30 days! hahaha

Well, you don't need them till you are ready to assemble and that isn't a long process. I have done two now and find them kinda fun. The alignment tool is plastic and inexpensive. I was forced to find alternatives to the tool that removes the teeth. Not exactly pretty.
stugray
QUOTE(worn @ Dec 7 2016, 10:12 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 7 2016, 07:17 AM) *

Well, you don't need them till you are ready to assemble and that isn't a long process. I have done two now and find them kinda fun. The alignment tool is plastic and inexpensive. I was forced to find alternatives to the tool that removes the teeth. Not exactly pretty.

I bought the tool from PP.
And I found that it does not fit correctly on the "old style" dog teeth.
The thin part that engages with the slot on the dog tooth gear does not seat properly.

So if I see gear sets with the clip ring that has the "tab" on the end, I assume they are the old style and I do not want them.

Anyone else know about this? (I could get pics of what I mean)
bdstone914
Why not charge a deposit of $300 and refund it when the tools are returned in good condition? If longer than 30 days add on to the cost? You have little risk that way and gives the person an motivation to get the job done and return the tools.
joea9146
I would charge a $300 - 400 deposit once the tools are returned withdraw the rental fee and return the remaining deposit
mlindner
Thats getting to be to much work. I really value all my tools, and certainly plan on doing more 901 transmissions, it was a lot of fun (like worn). That said, I'm trying to keep it simple for a few people not the masses. Maybe PP or some other parts supplier should provide this service with more skill and time than myself. Mark
billh1963
As usual, guy offers a service and everyone jumps in to tell him what (and how) he should do with his tools. rolleyes.gif

Gotta love the internet av-943.gif
Mark Henry
I've thought about renting out the tools to do a /6 rebuild, I only do 1-3 builds a year and could work around them. I've also thought about renting out my O2 wide band meter back when they were more spendy.

Everytime I determined it wasn't worth the hassle or the possible loss/damage of my tools.
YMMV smile.gif

mlindner
All tools boxed and ready to go. Happy Holiday. Best, mark
mlindner
Tools on the way Pete, have a great Holiday. Mark
930cabman
Almost 5 years old, is this offer still on the table?

thanks in advance
Shivers
I hope so...
mlindner
Yes it is. Just had sent them to Florida....what use to be $25.00 to ship is now $50. So cost is $125.00 shipped to you, keep for a month or so then ship back at your expense. If ever needed again tool rental is free, just pay shipping. Also have added the 17 mm Drain plug allen socket. Best, Mark
930cabman
QUOTE(mlindner @ Nov 18 2021, 12:38 PM) *

Yes it is. Just had sent them to Florida....what use to be $25.00 to ship is now $50. So cost is $125.00 shipped to you, keep for a month or so then ship back at your expense. If ever needed again tool rental is free, just pay shipping. Best, Mark

I am more than happy to pay for the rental of these specialized tools AND shipping. Probably a month or so away. What is the average duration someone has the tools out? I will keep in touch.

From my perspective, this is more than generous and I am thankful in advance.
mlindner
Most have the tools a month, a few went two months not a problem. Best is get everything you need up front when prices are best. Mark
mlindner
Tools are available again. Mark L.
nivekdodge
Looking to rent please
mlindner
PM sent
mlindner
Just a reminder, if tools are needed again. Rental is FREE, just pay shipping. Also included is the 17mm Drain Plug allen socket. Thanks, Mark
willieg
What an incredible offer. Like many of us, I have owned all sorts of sport cars and been a member of all sorts of forums and websites. 914World is the absolute best in terms of content and advice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.