Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reproducing the elusive rear fog light bracket.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
ConeDodger
Ok, some of you showed interest in getting the two parts on the left on top of the Hella box.

Who's in?

Ordering information is now here

Orders Received:
Dion
raynekat
Niklas
914Sixer
jkb944t
simonjb
maf914
treemn
Jett
Dion
What the hell. Why not. Either all in or...
I run one on the back. Might as well get the "proper" mount.
Put me down for a set.
Cheers, Dion
raynekat
Sign me up....I'm in for one.
ConeDodger
Two down, eight to go!

The other two parts required are readily available. The light housing itself is about $30 and the wiring harness, we can get a group buy from Bowlsby going....
porbmw
I actually bought the brackets from a member, a while back....

BUT

Would chime in on the GB harness, if it came into being.... beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(porbmw @ Dec 7 2016, 02:40 AM) *

BUT

Let's get the brackets done first. Jeff Bowlsby will knock out harnesses quickly...
jim_hoyland
Thanks for going through with the process.

***Update***My bad: I have a rear reflector ! No room for the fog light... sad.gif Sorry. It's still a great opportunity to get a NLA part.... smile.gif
ConeDodger
3/10! cheer.gif
edrotol
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 6 2016, 10:59 PM) *

QUOTE(porbmw @ Dec 7 2016, 02:40 AM) *

BUT

Let's get the brackets done first. Jeff Bowlsby will knock out harnesses quickly...

Hey Cone Dodger, that's my picture you have on your thread. No big deal. Just wanted you to know.

Have the exact set as pictured fog light and all, never installed

I also have a factory original rear foglight wiring harness. Had Bowlsby make me one years ago but got the original one somewhere from somebody later.

Good luck.
ConeDodger
I need 5 of these to be spoken for before I can give the go ahead. And we are at 2/5 right now.

BTW: I've been contacted by two people who tell me they can do the part cheaper. The spec is a reproduction. I'm not interested in galvanized or thinner metal. This is a yellow zink plated reproduction part. If that is what you can do we can talk. Otherwise, no good... thanks though.
JeffBowlsby
Rob this sounds like a perfect offering for 914rubber. Have you approached Mark to do a run of these and stock them?
wes
I'll take one,thanks!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 8 2016, 07:37 PM) *

Rob this sounds like a perfect offering for 914rubber. Have you approached Mark to do a run of these and stock them?

Jeff,
Mark and I talk frequently by phone. In fact he once had a layover in Reno on Thanksgiving and had dinner with my family. I can approach him on it. I just thought it might be too small a market for him to get involved.

Update: I just called him and got VM. He must be flapping his wings.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(wes @ Dec 8 2016, 09:00 PM) *

I'll take one,thanks!

Thanks Wes! 3/10!
whitetwinturbo
popcorn[1].gif
ConeDodger
icon_bump.gif

Just two more to go. If I get 5/10, I'll put up the rest so we can have these available. PMB will sell them on their site.

This is the expensive bugger!
Dion
I know it holiday time. $ is tight.
Is there no one else to get this off the ground.
Hate to see Conedodger front too much cash
C'mon rear fog nerds! beerchug.gif

Dion
raynekat
QUOTE(raynekat @ Dec 6 2016, 05:06 PM) *

If it helps, I can sign up for two of them.
I'll use one on my current build and "archive" the other one.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(raynekat @ Dec 11 2016, 09:08 PM) *

QUOTE(raynekat @ Dec 6 2016, 05:06 PM) *

If it helps, I can sign up for two of them.
I'll use one on my current build and "archive" the other one.

Are you kidding! Of course it helps! Just need one more confused24.gif come on #5! biggrin.gif
Cal
Looks great.....I'll take one. Send me a PM when you need the funds.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Cal @ Dec 12 2016, 09:26 AM) *

Looks great.....I'll take one. Send me a PM when you need the funds.

Huh! We just made the minimum 5/10! piratenanner.gif thank you!
Dion
first.gif Thanks for making this happen. Please let us know when & where to fund.
Mike Fitton
I have never seen one of these mounted on a 914, anyone have a picture of one of these mounted on their car?
Dion
Nice car. Not mine.
Cal
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Dec 12 2016, 09:27 AM) *

I have never seen one of these mounted on a 914, anyone have a picture of one of these mounted on their car?

Here's a thread from 10 years ago about the rear fog light.....

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=73511&hl=

ConeDodger
A new wrinkle. McMark has a source he uses who can do these to my specification significantly cheaper. I.e.; reproduction, not cheap galvanized copy. I don't want the concours weenies to know this wasn't factory.

I'll get back to you with a revised price soon. evilgrin.gif
eric914
put me down for one:) let me know final $.
Cal
Couple more photos....

raynekat
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 12 2016, 01:26 PM) *

A new wrinkle. McMark has a source he uses who can do these to my specification significantly cheaper. I.e.; reproduction, not cheap galvanized copy. I don't want the concours weenies to know this wasn't factory.

I'll likely still want 2 sets even at a reduced cost.
flag.gif
Made in the USA eh? smile.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(raynekat @ Dec 13 2016, 09:21 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 12 2016, 01:26 PM) *

I'll likely still want 2 sets even at a reduced cost.
flag.gif
Made in the USA eh? smile.gif

Yup! McMark has stood back and watched me struggle with this. No doubt, giving me demeaning looks the whole time. Then, when I got the price per unit quote he whipped out his source and told me to call him. Like Superman and shit, except for the long hair and beard blink.gif
rgalla9146
The 'cup' of these lamps is chrome ? is it plastic or metal ?
What is a fair cost for each of the parts...lamp, bracket, harness. etc. ?
TIA
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 14 2016, 01:37 PM) *

The 'cup' of these lamps is chrome ? is it plastic or metal ?
What is a fair cost for each of the parts...lamp, bracket, harness. etc. ?
TIA

The lamp assembly itself is available online from Just Kampers. Shipping is as much as the part because they're in England. About $40 IIRC. The cup as you put it is metal. It doesn't come with a bulb so I bought a red LED. The wiring harness is available from Jeff Bowlsby. I think if I recall, he sells them for about $140, but we may improve that with a group buy. Neither of the mount parts are available. I'm trying to improve that here.
db9146
I might be interested if the price comes down a little. I'll stay tuned.
Niklas
I want a set.

Sent to Sweden.

Is it 125 USD with the foglight?
I just want the bracket.

Niklas
Niklas
http://www.ebay.de/itm/HELLA-Nebelschlussl...soAAOSwl-FXNKw8

This is the light.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Niklas @ Dec 14 2016, 02:48 PM) *

I want a set.

Sent to Sweden.

I just want the bracket.

Niklas

No, that was the quote I was given for just the two brackets. This will change with the new source.
Larmo63
I will be in for a set too, Rob.

Thank you.
rgalla9146
Eureka !
All visitors here please go to the new thread titled 'is this a real 6 ? '
Check the nice fog light bracket, comes free if you buy the car.
Dion
HAHAHAH Rory that is too funny. Good eye!
db9146
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 15 2016, 08:57 PM) *

Eureka !
All visitors here please got to the new thread titled 'is this a real 6 ? '
Check the nice fog light bracket, comes free if you buy the car.

I bet it was a short in the rear foglight that caused the fire... wacko.gif
TJB/914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 14 2016, 02:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Niklas @ Dec 14 2016, 02:48 PM) *

I want a set.

Sent to Sweden.

I just want the bracket.

Niklas

No, that was the quote I was given for just the two brackets. This will change with the new source.

Bump,
Thanks Rob for making this happen. pray.gif
Once you have the interior bracket drilling & position is a piece of cake. popcorn[1].gif
Tom
Blue6
Rob, please add me to the list. After seeing this thread, I went to the stash to check the one I purchased about 2 yrs ago. It looks like I have the correct light, but the mounting bracket must be from an early 911.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
TJB/914
Blue6
Yes, that mounting bracket is for a 911. I don't have a 911 photo. On 911's it's mounted under the rear bumper somewhere in line with the rear wheel. Kind of a weird place to put it, not like our 914's above the bumper.
Should be worth $$ something with the 911 guys idea.gif
Tom
Blue6
Thank you for the confirmation. I'll put it on Pelican, and see if anyone needs it...
rgalla9146
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Dec 17 2016, 10:02 PM) *

Blue6
Yes, that mounting bracket is for a 911. I don't have a 911 photo. On 911's it's mounted under the rear bumper somewhere in line with the rear wheel. Kind of a weird place to put it, not like our 914's above the bumper.
Should be worth $$ something with the 911 guys idea.gif
Tom

These were often seen on 'grey market' 911s
Because they were mounted right next to the exhaust pipe they had added heat proof/fireproof insulation on the wiring as seen in the pics.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Blue6 @ Dec 17 2016, 11:16 PM) *

Rob, please add me to the list. After seeing this thread, I went to the stash to check the one I purchased about 2 yrs ago. It looks like I have the correct light, but the mounting bracket must be from an early 911.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Holy crap! That's the even more rare 911 mount! Clean that up and let the RGruppe guys sniff around it and you'll score some cash. evilgrin.gif
Blue6
Thank you Rob and Rgalla9146. I'll bring it to the Phoenix Club swap meet in March, and see if one of those taildragger guys is interested..
Larmo63
Isn't the 914 rear fog light itself supposed to have a chrome body?
raynekat
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 19 2016, 10:15 PM) *

Isn't the 914 rear fog light itself supposed to have a chrome body?

Actually both are available...
You pick.

Likely the chrome was more standard on 911's, and black with the 914's.
ConeDodger
Well, we have news. I really appreciate you guys who were willing to step up when these were going to big money. McMark found us a source that is willing to make them much cheaper. We will see how this plays out, but it looks like we might be able to get these these two parts made and shipped to your door for $20 or less.

The outer piece may be a bit different, so I have to make sure it's acceptable. I'll let you all know when I know more!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.