Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Polishing up a set of Fuchs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ninefourteener
I'm getting a set of Fuchs for my car tonight. I'm goint to hit them with some 1000 grit sandpaper, and I'm going to hit the 4 raised surfaces and the outer ring with a dremel and some polish.

I found this INCREDIBLE polish about 2 years ago called "Mr. Metal", but it no longer exists.... figures.

Any suggestions on a REALLY good metal polish that I can buy at a local auto parts store???
Ferg
I used mothers mag and aluminum polish with good results. Lot's o work, about 3 hours a wheel for this on my old car... biggrin.gif

http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/albun34/DSC00001
ninefourteener
3 HOURS PER WHEEL????

Uggg... that sucks.

I had this stuff before (Mr. Metal)... you didn't even have to polish...just rub it in, and wife it off. The stuff STUNK like ass, but it worked great.

I polished up an old set of Pontiac Snowflake Mag wheels in like 15 minutes, and they looked like CHROME!

Anything else? Maybe something that isn't so labor intensive?
seanery
Hey Ferg,

Got any 'before' pics?
Ferg
Nope, but they looked typical of what I see on ebay and so forth. Oxidized and untouched for a long time. Which reminds me, you need to do a quickie polish about once a month to keep them lookin nice. sad.gif Ferg.
ninefourteener
Actually, I was planning on putting a lot of time into them at first, and then just clearcoating them.

WOW.. I just cought those pics of the polished fuchs..... holy crap those look good. I hope I can get them looking like that!
Jeff Krieger
Ferg, you've got the same wheel/tire combination on your car that I want to put on my 2.0 - how does your car handle? Can you feel any flexing of the sidewalls when cornering hard with the 195/65R15s?
Ferg
That was my old car that I sold this spring, and those tires were pretty old (car was in storage since 93) I did auto x them once and I did not notice a lot of flex, but the rubber was hard and they did slide around pretty good, they didn't even squeal! Car handled great though but it had front sway and 180 springs in the back. Ferg.
need4speed
I bought a set of Fuchs (4-lug) for my Ghia on ebay.
Paid too much for them. Turns out they're not real Fuchs, but bear a close resemblance. Guy I bought em from swears he took them off a 2.0l 914 tho. I gave him a bad rating.

Anyway, I tried to remove the paint, and polish them myself, and absolutely screwed them up beyond belief. I took them to a professional polisher, at about $30 a pop, he cleaned them up real good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.