Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: start then stall
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ben1440
i was test driving a '74 2.0 last night and was wondering about something in particular. he says it has always been this way but when you first go to turn it on it starts up for about 3 seconds, stalls and then the next time it starts right up with no problem. this doesnt seem to be much of an issue but i was wondering if it indicates anything in particular. other then that and the smell of oil from the leaky push rod seals it wasnt to bad. ohh, also the odometor hasnt worked in the last 20 years so all i know is that it has over 100,000 miles on it and its all stock. any thoughts?
drgchapman
Sounds familiar. Many of the speedos, most of the clocks need a rebuild at this age. FI problems are everywhere. Many folks have put carbs on their cars for this reason. Personally, I like my d-jet, it stumbles and chokes from time to time, but seems reliable enough. My car is a fun car, not primary transportation. It is usually a good idea to go through the FI, replacing clamps, putting clamps where they are missing, renewing the hoses, etc.

I would check the car for rust issues in the all the usual places. The rust is hard, the rest is relatively easy. Just time and money, but much less time than rust.

Good luck,
Bruce Allert
agree.gif w/ Gary. I found this to be true with my car.
it starts up for about 3 seconds, stalls and then the next time it starts right up with no problem.
If I turn the key on & off 3 or 4 times (w/o starting it) it charges the fuel system & stays running once I turn the key all the way & start it.

..b
drgchapman
Just looked at your blog, you know rust........
JWest
Something is wrong. My car (stock '74 2.0) runs like a brand new car - starts normally in any weather and pulls clean under any condition.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.