Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint formula printouts online?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chris914n6
I'm paint shopping and wanted to compare the actual formulas for the various colors I'm favoring. I've been to the paint supplier but don't want to be taking up that much of their time with a list.

Anyone with a secret insider link?
Rob-O
I don't think you're ever going to find that info. That's as proprietary as it gets. My guess would be that any supplier found to have published formulas for say, PPG, would be subject to legal action. I'm sure that info would also be pulled extremely quickly and that supplier would no longer be selling PPG product. I'm sure once the other manufacturers found out, that supplier would lose those accounts as well.

As big as those paint manufacturers are, it really is a rather small world and all those paint guys know each other from past work experience, paint trials among manufacturers, etc.

Ask me how I know...
Chris914n6
Interesting.
Two different brand suppliers and both were pleased to print one out for me confused24.gif
I haven't bought paint yet but I thought since they were on sticker paper it would get stuck to the can for future reference.
On second look the one from PPG does have a bunch of legal mumbo jumbo.
Wdunster
I work for PPG automotive coatings.
#1 formulas are not secret and are willingly given out
#2 not sure why it is important to see the toners that go into each color. Each Paint company gets to the same color but may take a different path as far as what toner colors are contained in the formula to get there based on toner strength and color.
Contact your local supplier. It won't take that much time to pull the formulas and they would be happy to help or let me know if I can.
Bill
howlndog
FWIW, Glasurit will provide the mix for their various paint lines. For example, below is the mix for slate grey using their Color Online web site.

http://coloronline.glasurit.com/index.php

IPB Image

N_Jay
QUOTE(howlndog @ Dec 9 2016, 10:41 AM) *

Thanks for that link.

Very cool.
Rob-O
Ah, just the tint bases. Sure, I thought you meant the formula for the base with the color already in it.
Chris914n6
To answer many questions at once biggrin.gif

I'm looking at the flakes and pearl content, and any odd color tints that would change the hue (undertones).
I'm looking for a high energy pure blue while considering 914 colors first, then Porsche, then other. Without seeing them in person it's impossible to really get their essence.
I'm looking for a production color so it's easier to do repairs. Some of them are Alaska, Gemini, Sapphire, Daytona, and Electric blue from various models. Aqua too dark & Minerva too light.
Yes I know I'm being picky.

The Glasurit site would have been perfect if the codes had descriptions.
tomh
Along this same subject, I'm going to be needing Signal orange for my repaint in a January. Do I just give them the paint code that's listed on the 914 color sites?
Rob-O
If it's a decent paint shop you should just be able to tell them you want Signal Orange for a 197x Porsche 914 and the formula would be in their computer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.