Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone use FatMat in their 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ewdysar
I've read on this board that FatMat is the way to go in sound damping materials. I've submitted the Fatmat guys some questions more than half a dozen times through their website but got no response, even stating that I want to purchase each time. Maybe they don't check their own website. screwy.gif

If you've used it, where did you apply it? I want to do this before I rebuild my doors and install my new carpet kit.

Thanks,
Eric
914efi
This is a funny post for those of us in Mass. We have a local hack politician that is in 'charge' of our turnpike authority named "fat Matt" Amarillo. He has helped preside over the big dig fiasco.
MattR
im not fat, im big boned dry.gif

lol2.gif

I'd also like to know about sound deadening. I need to lay some down soon. I was thinking of dynamat, but I know that sutff is expensive. Are there any other alternatives?
tnorthern
There is a brand called Brown Bread/Ultimate they sell thier product on Evil Bay, I bought some for $200 for 100sq feet. (I think) It was tested by a couple of audiophile magazines and came out ahead of Dynamat. Keep in mind that this stuff kills sound by killing vibration, which mostly takes adding weight. In other words this stuff is HEAVY. If you are trying to lighten a car this is not the way to go. All that being said it makes a huge difference. My doors close like a new car very solid.
Mueller
Are there any other alternatives?

search...it's been discussed a few times with alternative products and placement wacko.gif
tnorthern
search...it's been discussed a few times with alternative products and placement

But we're too lazy for that (at least me) that's why we post here and let guys like you lead us to the light! biggrin.gif

Here's a link to the Brown Bread Evil Bay site Brown Bread/Ultimate
MattR
A quick ebay search:

Brown bread: .36lb/ sq ft, 190 bucks for 100 square feet
Fatmat: .45lb/sq ft, 100 bucks for 100 sq feet
tnorthern
Never used FatMat, do they have any comparisons to other products? That seems like a good buy, but if it's cheaper materials then you are just getting more weight not sound deadening.

When I was doing research a guy on a Corvette forum took the "heavier is better" and "it's mostly just tar paper" posts from another member too literally and used Ice mat tar paper in his 99 convertible... needless to say he complained about the "tar smell for two weeks" happy11.gif
scotty b
This doesn't really answer your question but I have a roll of Fat MAtt that I bought to put ion my dads 914 and my 944 and the stuff is just as quality as Dynamat for half the price. I got it off E-bay. I'm going to put it in the doors and on the inside of the rear firewall. Might even do the trunk lids wink.gif Floor and trunk bottoms will be getting bed liner biggrin.gif That damn 914 should be as solid as a brand new Benz rocking nana.gif probably as heavy too laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.