Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has anyone used those 4X130 into 4X100
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr. Roger
I'm checking out wheel options and to be honest, the choices suck.

The most prolific wheel pattern in the aftermarket scene is the 4X100 bolt pattern thanks to the import craze. OK fine.

My 4X130mm hubs can take the wheel adapters buttttttttt.........

My question is do these adaptors amplify the already fine line of tire balance and concentricity? You know, like a twisting stick with a toasted marshmellow on the end?

I just want to hear from some experienced 914 owners wo have been there, done that. laugh.gif biggrin.gif smile.gif wink.gif
Oh yea', and if you have 4 adaptors, cheap, i'm interested. biggrin.gif

Thnx,
Aaron Cox
i think mueller drilled his hubs for 4x100 and ran ricer wheels....

have to wait for his post tho wink.gif
Mueller
if made correctly and using the hubcentric feature (on the front), there are no issues other than for the rear you will have to have flares or pull out the fenders at least 1/2" or more depending on the wheel/tire combo....generally, adapters are minimum 1" thick

i had re-drilled hubs for my old 4x100 rims, offset was 40mm, needed about a 1" spacer in the front to make it look correct and prevent the tire rubbing against the strut....if I had to use a 1" spacer on the rear, that would have given me a 15mm offset and the tire would have rubbed....I ended up using a 1/4" spacer in the rear

cheapest I've seen are the guys that advertise on eBay, they'll custom make them for your application

some people don't like the bolt on adapters/spacers...even the 5 lug bolt on spacers are frowned upon by some....

I checked with our local tech inspector about the 4x130 to 4x100 adapter and he was fine for it for auto-x...I did not ask about track use....

user posted image

ninefourteener
Here's some info from a post I did a while back:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...f=2&t=29567&hl=
Mueller
one thing to think about:

I just had a 4 banger....you are going to have a heavier and much more powerful V8....stock studs are 14mmX1.5.....most ricer wheels are 12mmX1.5(?)
Dr. Roger
OK, so my next question would be is there anyone out there who has a V8 and is using the 4X100 wheel adapters? Will they do well? dry.gif
Thnx,
nebreitling
what are you going to do for brakes?

as long as you're doing a V8, you probably ought to do the 911 swap...
Mueller
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Apr 26 2005, 01:16 PM)

he could do the billet front hubs and have a 4 lugger and 911 brakes, but I'm guessing the price will be a little on the "high" side smile.gif

i don't even know of a single 914 running the 4 bolt adapters with a /4 motor.....maybe some of the 'bug guys confused24.gif

the 4 bolt adapters will work but there are better ways to do it...none of them are cheap, even the adapters are going to cost on average $75 each.....
Joe Bob
AA had some nice looking custom 4x130 wheels on the car at WCC.....
Aaron Cox
QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 26 2005, 01:55 PM)

only 800 each though sad.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Apr 26 2005, 01:57 PM)

those did look awesome on the car...well sorta...the rear wheel/tire combo fit perfect...the front was too narrow/wrong offset and looked like terrible...I'm not the only one that thought so....needs about a 1" spacer up front or a wider outter half and wider tire.....

Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Mueller @ Apr 26 2005, 02:08 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Apr 26 2005, 01:57 PM)

those did look awesome on the car...well sorta...the rear wheel/tire combo fit perfect...the front was too narrow/wrong offset and looked like terrible...I'm not the only one that thought so....needs about a 1" spacer up front or a wider outter half and wider tire.....

totally agree... needed more dish.
Dr. Roger
Wow, please keep up this thread. I'm learning sooo much just listening/reading you-guy's chat. biggrin.gif

Hay Arron, I did check out those fine rims of yours and my reaction was the same... $$$$$ mucho mas dinero'.

The 4X100 rims are a dime a dozen comparably speaking. I was drooling over some 17" Rota alloy's in a gun metal finish for $250 a set on Ebay. wink.gif Ya know what I mean?

Going that route gives me the cash to do the big brake upgrade on the car. biggrin.gif smile.gif wink.gif dry.gif cool.gif laugh.gif driving-girl.gif mueba.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Apr 26 2005, 02:56 PM)
Wow, please keep up this thread. I'm learning sooo much just listening/reading you-guy's chat. biggrin.gif

Hay Arron, I did check out those fine rims of yours and my reaction was the same... $$$$$ mucho mas dinero'.

The 4X100 rims are a dime a dozen comparably speaking. I was drooling over some 17" Rota alloy's in a gun metal finish for $250 a set on Ebay. wink.gif Ya know what I mean?

Going that route gives me the cash to do the big brake upgrade on the car. biggrin.gif smile.gif wink.gif dry.gif cool.gif laugh.gif driving-girl.gif mueba.gif

gee...if i could get these in 7 and 8's for under 1 grand rolleyes.gif

user posted image
Mueller
Going that route gives me the cash to do the big brake upgrade on the car.

you know something I or the rest of us don't know??? biggrin.gif

AFAIK, there are only 2 methods to put bigger calipers/rotors onto the 4 lug cars....

one is to use the new billet hubs (standard 911 rotors and calipers), front only

two, would be to make up your own kit such as what I've done using Turbo-RX-7 calipers and Wilwood rotors/hats....not an exact bolt on...machineing will be needed

Those Rotas are nice looking rims and pretty damn light...I almost got those but instead I bought Konig (sp?) rims
Mueller
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Apr 26 2005, 03:02 PM)

[/QUOTE]
gee...if i could get these in 7 and 8's for under 1 grand rolleyes.gif

user posted image

i have those on my 911, luckly they came with the car, too pricey to buy brand new wacko.gif

PITA to clean....
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Apr 26 2005, 12:16 PM)

Hey Nate, your right about the brakes. I will need to do a brake upgrade. I'm kinda' a lead foot when behind the wheel of something fast. Call it a charactor flaw if you like.... wink.gif

Ironically I just got off the phone with my mortage co. and they are doing the final touches on my refi. This means I need to change my question...

What would you old-bies do if you wanted to upgrade to vented rotors and larger calipers as well as put 4X100 Alloy's on your 914?

Drill the 911 rotors and hubs to take 4X100's?
Adapt 911 hubs to 4X100?

Thnx,
Mueller
the front 911 hubs are 5x130..the fronts cannot be redrilled due to the design of the cast hub

MecGen
Hey
Strait ass stupid question...
I have a spare set of rear hubs...thinking of putting them on a lathe and milling, punch new holes for studs, turn the rear of the hubs to an even surface, make a re-enforcement ring to fit in the back, weld together (controled heat).
No offset change...
maybe I am missing something, except for the fact of the equipement needed...should be do-able ?, redrill the front rotors...?
Later
Joe

beerchug.gif
Dr. Roger
Crap-tacular.

Oh well.

I have not really looked into 5X130's yet but I already know the result. $$$ mas dinero than the 4X100's.

I really want the 911 brakes and the 4X100 rims........ Waaaaaaaaaaaa' confused24.gif
Mueller
I really want the 911 brakes and the 4X100 rims........ Waaaaaaaaaaaa'

these are the billet hubs that Brad has for sale (should be on the e-commerce soon)...currently only 4x130, but it would be easy for the next run to have other bolt-patterns milled into them....

these use standard/early 911 vented rotors and calipers....the parts in the picture are of my setup....Wilwood hat with Wilwood 12+" diameter vented rotor....

user posted image

jd74914
Mike, I know they will be really pricey, but what is the approximate retail price of the hubs ?
Mueller
jd74914,

Hubs are $405 a pair...bare, you supply rotors (approx. $40-50 each), 911 calipers*, wheel bearings, might as well change the hoses as well if you don't know the history of them.

*volvo calipers might work

yes, not cheap, but everything will be brand new or rebuilt (calipers)...the hubs should last our lifetime, so the only other parts you'll need down the road are the rotors when they wear out and wheel bearings......you get a nice balanced vented rotor setup that is less than doing a full 5 lug converion by the time you buy new 5 lug wheels and do everything else

JoeSpark,

not stupid at all, re-drilling of the front and rear /4 parts are done all the time.....your mods are a little overkill, but are in line with how Eric Shea does his 5 lug conversions he sells in the Resource section 5 lug conversions

Dr. Roger
Hey Mike, i'd like your opinion on what to ask for and what to look out for on this EBay manufacturer.

In a message dated 4/27/2005 2:19:25 AM Eastern Standard Time, roger@grubb.net writes:
Hello, I have a Porsche 914 which has a 4X130mm bolt pattern. I would like to mount some aftermarket 4X100mm rims on the car. Can you make adapters for this solution? Thank you. Roger
Yes, we offer 1" thick for 115.00 or 1.3" thick for 135.00 for a set of four. We also offer lug packages for mounting of the adapters to the hubs for 15.00 total for all four wheels.
We do have the blanks in stock and can ship in 1-3 days from receipt of order. Thank you for your interest in our company. I am sure that you will find that our adapters are made of the highest quality aluminum and with expert craftsmanship. We stand behind our product and hope as a happy customer, you will pass the word about our product.

If you would like to purchase our product, you can go to paypal.com and send funds to adaptamerica@aol.com. (any extra cost for options should be added to shipping in pay pal) Be sure to leave all info on the application as well as a daytime number for UPS and also include 15.00 for S&H. I also accept money orders that are to be sent to Keith Patterson at 7504 Foxtail Plc, Crestwood, Ky. 40014.

Mueller
Roger,

Great price if the quality is there.....

They will have to know that the 4x130 pattern should have a ball socket so that you can use factory style lug bolts, the thru hole for the studs/bolts are for 14mm bolts

if the spacers are hubcentric, you will need to know the diameter of the hubcentric feature of the new rims, you will also need to know the diameter of the studs, more than likely they are 12mm

Dr. Roger
Mike is the da' man.

I'm sending a reply to them right now...

even at $150, what a deal!
huh.gif smilie_pokal.gif ohmy.gif wink.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif smile.gif dry.gif rolleyes.gif wacko.gif cool.gif laugh.gif beerchug.gif

I'm still going to keep my eye out for a 4 wheel solution to upgrade to 911 brake system with 4X100 bolt pattern with NO adaptors... aktion035.gif
Dr. Roger
Hey Mike. last question. NOT! smile.gif

What is the diameter of a 914's center hub. hubcentric diameter?

Apparently 73.1mm is the most common hubcentric diameter for aftermarket ricer rims.

thnx
Mueller
78.60mm
Eric_Shea
Roger... went back into my voice mail to get your number and I accidently deleted it headbang.gif

We can do 4x100 rear hubs if you want them. You should get everything together before we go too far though. Wheels, offset, spacers?, spacer depth, stud length, stud size (14 or 12) for the new wheels.

Just so you know it can be done.
Dr. Roger
Thanx much guys. 914club ROCKS AGAIN!!
Mueller
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Apr 27 2005, 03:30 PM)
Roger... went back into my voice mail to get your number and I accidently deleted it  :headbang:

We can do 4x100 rear hubs if you want them.  You should get everything together before we go too far though.  Wheels, offset, spacers?, spacer depth, stud length, stud size (14 or 12) for the new wheels.  

Just so you know it can be done.

he'll need his rotors redrilled as well......I think this a better idea for the rear...just run the adapters up front and with a 7" wide rim with a 35mm to 40mm offset, the fit will be very nice.......oh yea, 12mm studs, standard length as used on a 5 lug conversion would work unless spacers used, then you need to comp for add. width..

E, my 7" ricer rims (spec'd for an '84 GTI, or Honda Civic) had a 40mm offset

Still limited to a 205 width tire on stock rear fenders..........
Eric_Shea
Is this all for a '74 914 powered by a 4 bolt main 355cid Chevrolet engine with a 750 Holley sitting on a Street Dominator intake feeding a CompCams Extreme Energy cam with headers coming out of ported Vette heads, with roller rockers, HD springs and Vette C5 exhaust system that's being assembled right now? biggrin.gif

If so... may I recommend a set of Muellers front hubs drilled to 100mm and some serious brakes? The best you could do on the rears would be some 914-6 calipers (I'm thinking that you stay with a solid rotor and drill for 4x100, not sure if a vented, hence 5-lug rotor, would drill to 100...) I could probably build some 911 rear M-Calipers to fit (sans the spacers) but you'd need to address the handbrake thing. Maybe some Vulva calipers front and 911 Carrera's in the rear?

Roger... I like where this is going but you seem to be seriously underbraked for the engine you'll be using. Seriously underbraked. Might be time to rethink it a little... idea.gif
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Apr 27 2005, 03:19 PM)
Is this all for a '74 914 powered by a 4 bolt main 355cid Chevrolet engine with a 750 Holley sitting on a Street Dominator intake feeding a CompCams Extreme Energy cam with headers coming out of ported Vette heads, with roller rockers, HD springs and Vette C5 exhaust system that's being assembled right now?  :D

If so... may I recommend a set of Muellers front hubs drilled to 100mm and some serious brakes?  The best you could do on the rears would be some 914-6 calipers (I'm thinking that you stay with a solid rotor and drill for 4x100, not sure if a vented, hence 5-lug rotor, would drill to 100...)  I could probably build some 911 rear M-Calipers to fit (sans the spacers) but you'd need to address the handbrake thing.  Maybe some Vulva calipers  front and 911 Carrera's in the rear?

Roger... I like where this is going but you seem to be seriously underbraked for the engine you'll be using.  Seriously underbraked.  Might be time to rethink it a little... idea.gif

I hear ya'.
I do want my cake and eat it too.

In a perfect world I'd get 911 brakes all 'round and 4X100 hubs.

Great vented braking and a killer selection of rims.

Still looking for the most economical solution.... smile.gif
Andyrew
Most economical? Stay with 4x130's. Run Muellers new front hubs with big brakes and rotors..

And run Revolution wheels with your choice of rubber.

That would be my choice if I wanted to stay away from 5 lug.

BTW a corvette c5 exhaust will not fit. The mufflers are way to big.

I looked into it. trust me....
Eric_Shea
Still looking for the most economical solution....

By a V8 someone else has already done biggrin.gif

Seriously now, for the most economical solution nothing adds up, at least in my book. Here's why:

Thinking in terms of economy the most economical package would probably be Mikes hubs up front with Vulva calipers but the rears need to be addressed. Maybe someone can fill us in on what Vulva used on the back of that setup? This is the only way I see you getting decent calipers and vented rotors up front with that 100mm spacing and that's what you "need".

The rears present a bit of a problem. I really think you could "squeeze" by with solid rotors out back so again, a 911 Carrera caliper sans the spacers may give you a decent piston size to work with the Vulva calipers. Then you take 914-4 rotors and have them drilled to 4x100mm. The other option might be 914-6 calipers but they're pricey and probably too small. Ferrari 308 calipers sans the spacers and with a little bleeder mod might work too... same deal.

It's hard to get a caliper to match in the rear if you want a 4x100mm front. You could run an M-Caliper front and rear for perfect balance but Porsche only used those up to around 150hp. I'm fairly certain you'll be hotter than 140-150hp... blink.gif

Maybe Mike should make those hubs work on a 911 spindle. Then you could go with a 3.5" caliper ear spacing. Many more options then...

Or you could drop the 4x100mm notion (because by now, you're figuring out "it ain't cheap") and you could go with the plethora of awesome wheel options available to the sturdy 5x130mm 14mm stud pattern wink.gif
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Apr 28 2005, 02:33 PM)
Still looking for the most economical solution....

By a V8 someone else has already done biggrin.gif

Seriously now, for the most economical solution nothing adds up, at least in my book. Here's why:

Thinking in terms of economy the most economical package would probably be Mikes hubs up front with Vulva calipers but the rears need to be addressed. Maybe someone can fill us in on what Vulva used on the back of that setup? This is the only way I see you getting decent calipers and vented rotors up front with that 100mm spacing and that's what you "need".

The rears present a bit of a problem. I really think you could "squeeze" by with solid rotors out back so again, a 911 Carrera caliper sans the spacers may give you a decent piston size to work with the Vulva calipers. Then you take 914-4 rotors and have them drilled to 4x100mm. The other option might be 914-6 calipers but they're pricey and probably too small. Ferrari 308 calipers sans the spacers and with a little bleeder mod might work too... same deal.

It's hard to get a caliper to match in the rear if you want a 4x100mm front. You could run an M-Caliper front and rear for perfect balance but Porsche only used those up to around 150hp. I'm fairly certain you'll be hotter than 140-150hp... blink.gif

Maybe Mike should make those hubs work on a 911 spindle. Then you could go with a 3.5" caliper ear spacing. Many more options then...

Or you could drop the 4x100mm notion (because by now, you're figuring out "it ain't cheap") and you could go with the plethora of awesome wheel options available to the sturdy 5x130mm 14mm stud pattern wink.gif

Hmmm, just as i thought. I researched the 5x130mm rims on Epay/bay and the prices start at $6oo and go up to $2K.

the 4X100 search reveals at least half of the rims at $400 a set. That's my #1 reason for going this way.

Call me cheap but if my teener can wear 4x100's i'm going to try a few styles of shoes on her before she retires.
Mueller
you can get 5x130 cookie cutters and phone dials in 15x7 for about $200 to $300..........

depends on if you are looking for form or function or both, normally the later will cost more smile.gif

Eric_Shea
I'm not calling you cheap... just thought I'd point out that getting the "proper" brakes for that set up will be anything but cheap. sad.gif

You could leave the brakes stock and have your current rotors and hubs redrilled to 100mm and fitted with the little 12mm studs but... base upon an earlier comment about sticking your foot in it every now and again, I'm more worried about you being dead than I am you being cheap wink.gif
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Apr 28 2005, 03:12 PM)
I'm not calling you cheap... just thought I'd point out that getting the "proper" brakes for that set up will be anything but cheap. sad.gif

You could leave the brakes stock and have your current rotors and hubs redrilled to 100mm and fitted with the little 12mm studs but... base upon an earlier comment about sticking your foot in it every now and again, I'm more worried about you being dead than I am you being cheap wink.gif

hey eric, dont worry about me. i know i'm cheap much of the time. wink.gif

i hear what your saying. i does sound like i'm going to have to go big ($) to do it right. that's not a problem with me. safety is #1.

as for the fuchs and phone dials... fuchs are ok. phone dials? yuk. maybe on a 928s. biggrin.gif

i need to rest my head and think about this more tomorrow.

i wonder what size the most popular 5 bolt aftermarket pattern is?
it's not 5x130. smile.gif

this is a great new 914club logo and color, don't you think?
Mueller
i wonder what size the most popular 5 bolt aftermarket pattern is?
it's not 5x130

I'd have to say Chevy and that the rims that fit the latest generation Camero and Vette would be your best bet due to the offset

there should be some decent ricer rims in 5 lug...actually the newer VW GTIs and such are 5 lug I think
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Apr 28 2005, 02:12 PM)
Most economical? Stay with 4x130's. Run Muellers new front hubs with big brakes and rotors..

And run Revolution wheels with your choice of rubber.

That would be my choice if I wanted to stay away from 5 lug.

BTW a corvette c5 exhaust will not fit. The mufflers are way to big.

I looked into it. trust me....

hey andy,

i know you are using 17" rims on your teen. do you happen to know the offset?
the "look" is very nice. lots of rubber to the road... biggrin.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ May 2 2005, 12:51 PM)

know you are using 17" rims on your teen. do you happen to know the offset?
the "look" is very nice. lots of rubber to the road... biggrin.gif

not andy.....but most of the 17" rims should be in the 55mm offset range for the 7", 8" and 9" rims
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (Mueller @ May 2 2005, 12:12 PM)
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ May 2 2005, 12:51 PM)

know you are using 17" rims on your teen.  do you happen to know the offset?
the "look" is very nice.  lots of rubber to the road...   biggrin.gif

not andy.....but most of the 17" rims should be in the 55mm offset range for the 7", 8" and 9" rims

Thanks Mike.
BTW, when and where is the next bay area 914 get together????
tnorthern
Hey Mike, I saw you mentioned something about spacers earlier in the thread, are you running a 1 inch spacer to get those front out a little closer to the fender?
rick 918-S
Ever thought about just having the bolt pattern in the wheels changed? I've done this several times. Back in the day we used to get uni-lug wheels. They had oval holes. They had a chrome insert that set the bolt pattern. I used these on a 500 hp Big Block Chevelle. Never broke a wheel. I launched the car and shifted at 7500 rpm's.. Just a thought idea.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (tnorthern @ May 2 2005, 01:26 PM)
Hey Mike, I saw you mentioned something about spacers earlier in the thread, are you running a 1 inch spacer to get those front out a little closer to the fender?

yep.....1.125" spacers up front.....the rims I have have a 47mm offset so I needed to move them out at least 12mm to make them "correct" and not hit the strut, the other 16.575mm was to move the wheel out so that it looked better and helped fill up the front wheel well....
Brett W
Why not go to something like a 5x5 that way you can use stock car parts and Cheverolet wheels. You know how big you can get some GM wheels in? Look at Corvette and Camaro wheels. 17x9, 10, 11, 18x9, 10, 11, etc. You can use stock car brake hats and rotors that go all the way up to 14inch diameter by 1.38in thick. Then you can use Willwood Brake calipers and such.
tnorthern
the other 16.575mm was to move the wheel out so that it looked better and helped fill up the front wheel well....

So go to OSH and get some washers, right wink.gif

I am running Mahle's right now, not sure what the offset is, but I would love to push them out a bit. Any idea how think a spacer I should try to source?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.