Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Still can't get it running properly
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschefile2010
Hi everyone and hope you have Merry Xmas and festive season while I'm on line.

75, 2.0 FI. Nearly a year trying to get this right so we spent a full day on it today.

We have spark at the plugs on all four cylinders.
We have compression (125) on all four cylinders.
We have pulse at all the injectors.

However, when we pull either plug #1 or #3 the engine doesn't notice it-no change in revs.

The plugs in 1 and 3 are still totally clean and look like there has been no fuel. We know there is spark.

The plugs in 2 and 4 appear to be showing signs of running rich.

We have checked for air leaks with smoke, no leaks.

Given that the problem is not one side or the other but 1 +3 and 2 + 4 I thought this meant it was a trigger point issue.

Is it feasible to pull an injector, still connected and see if fuel squirts out?

Just wonder if anyone here has had similar issues.

Thanks headbang.gif
Frankvw
"Is it feasible to pull an injector, still connected and see if fuel squirts out?"
Yes, you can do that. Make sure to put the injector in a glass or jar to prevent it from spraying everywhere (in case it does squirt fuel)
In case it squirts you took again another potential issue from the list
PS : triggerpoints send in combi to cilinder 1-4 and 2-3, and your issue is 1 and 3.
So...Maybe not the triggerpoints ?
BeatNavy
Yes, as Frank said, you can use the injector-in-jar thing to see if they're working. That will tell you if you have a problem, but not where. If you can buy or have access to a noid light that will at least tell if you if it's electrical (grounds, trigger points, ecu, harness itself, etc.).

Any history on the injectors themselves? If not, they may be plugged, esp. if the car sat for some period of time. Does anyone service them near you? You can swap injectors between cylinders and that will verify. Whenever I acquire injectors I immediately send them out to Mr. Injector for cleaning. Last week got a set of 4 back. Two were basically clogged when he tested them, but now they're all squeaky clean. Just too much tail-chasing if you don't know whether they're good or not...
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Frankvw @ Dec 12 2016, 04:07 AM) *

"Is it feasible to pull an injector, still connected and see if fuel squirts out?"
Yes, you can do that. Make sure to put the injector in a glass or jar to prevent it from spraying everywhere (in case it does squirt fuel)
In case it squirts you took again another potential issue from the list
PS : triggerpoints send in combi to cilinder 1-4 and 2-3, and your issue is 1 and 3.
So...Maybe not the triggerpoints ?

Could still be trigger points if the injectors are plugged in wrong on one side.

Swap the injector plugs on both sides and see if the problem changes cylinders.
porschefile2010
Thanks guys. That's something to try today. Meant to say that the injectors were a spare set I had serviced so they should be ok. And they are working ok in the front cylinders, not the back which is too much of a coincidence, so presume they're ok. We'll keep at it now till we fix it one way or another. My mechanic would like to put carbs on her but I'm into originality.
Thanks again.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(porschefile2010 @ Dec 12 2016, 12:06 PM) *

My mechanic would like to put carbs on her but I'm into originality.

I'll remember not to use that mechanic next time I'm in Whangaparaoa.

Curt has a good point on making sure the connections are correct and not ruling out trigger points until then. I didn't consider that...
porschefile2010
Thanks for the help. We're pretty much sorted. Turns out that the two freshly serviced injectors in 1 and 3 weren't squirting. So I dropped two of the other set in and she is up and running. Weird how it just happened to be 1 and 3 so we set of thinking it was trigger points. Now I'm dealing with fast idle but I think I can sort that one.
BeatNavy
beer.gif Excellent. By the way, I would be lucky to visit Whangaparaoa one day. The pictures look beautiful. Good luck!
porschefile2010
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Dec 13 2016, 02:03 PM) *

beer.gif Excellent. By the way, I would be lucky to visit Whangaparaoa one day. The pictures look beautiful. Good luck!

If you ever get down this way look us up.
pbanders
QUOTE(porschefile2010 @ Dec 11 2016, 10:48 PM) *

Hi everyone and hope you have Merry Xmas and festive season while I'm on line.

75, 2.0 FI. Nearly a year trying to get this right so we spent a full day on it today.

We have spark at the plugs on all four cylinders.
We have compression (125) on all four cylinders.
We have pulse at all the injectors.

However, when we pull either plug #1 or #3 the engine doesn't notice it-no change in revs.

The plugs in 1 and 3 are still totally clean and look like there has been no fuel. We know there is spark.

The plugs in 2 and 4 appear to be showing signs of running rich.

We have checked for air leaks with smoke, no leaks.

Given that the problem is not one side or the other but 1 +3 and 2 + 4 I thought this meant it was a trigger point issue.

Is it feasible to pull an injector, still connected and see if fuel squirts out?

Just wonder if anyone here has had similar issues.

Thanks headbang.gif

Whoops, didn't read that you'd found it before I replied! Turned out to be the very thing I thought was possible but unlikely - but you could never know until you checked! Glad you got it working.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.