Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.6 SWAP
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rd914
If you transplant a '76 or later 911 engine to a '75 or older 914, are you exempt from the smog checks in Califormia.
Steve
If its a 75 or older 914 you can put anything you want in the car and its smog exempt.
When I registered my car they only cared about the VINS and did not ask for a smog certificate.
Tom73
Depends upon what you mean by "exempt". Some states elect to not test vehicles for emissions if they are over a specific age. So, yep, you could be exempt from testing for the purpose of getting license plates. But you are never exempt from the emission laws. Those are Federal and the states do not have the authority to exempt you from them. So there are always the road side sniffers, emission road blocks, and gross polluter testing that can still hang you up. Then there is the issue of what engine the car was certified for. If you have a 914-6 then I would not think that most inspectors would know one Porsche 6 from another. But if you want to install a Chevy V8, best find a friendly inspector, as the V8 was never certified in the 914.

Just spliting hairs here, just that you should be aware.

tom...
Steve
QUOTE (rd914 @ Apr 26 2005, 03:15 PM)
If you transplant a '76 or later 911 engine to a '75 or older 914, are you exempt from the smog checks in Califormia.

He was only talking about Arnold Land in Kahlifornia.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.