Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My first 914!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
So I finally found what I think is the “right” 914 for me. After about two years of searching I stumbled upon this yellow ’72 at the Porsche Swap meet in Hershey, PA this past Saturday. The guy bought it a year ago, tracked it a bit and did some head work on the 2.0 race engine. The previous owner had it for 15 years and has an extensive log book, tons of diary entries, race stories, etc. This guy is an avid club racer, de guy, with tons of race experience in this car. His logbook is filled with EMRA and PCA events. Tons of events at Pocono, Limerock, Summit Point and Watkins Glen. The car's original name is Aumakua, Hawaiian for Guardian Spirit.

A little bit about me: I'm 25, work full time as an engineer, recent graduate from Rutgers with a computer/electrical engineering BS. This is my fourth season of autox including a few DEs at pocono with MetroNY Porsche Club and Porscherama last fall. Most of my autox/de experience has been in my brother's 1989 944 turbo. Fun, but i decided that i need my own car.

Anyhow... back to the car. Overall it’s a great package. I think it’s a little too race prep for me, ie: full cage, very stiff (220lb rears I think), crazy race seat, loud exhaust, but I can always downgrade to street trim, or maybe just trailer it. Pics: http://coewww.rutgers.edu/~yarin/my914/

user posted image

Specs:

'72 914
Full autopower cage welded to rear suspension towers through window.
Kirkey race seat with fresh 5 pt harness
Stripped interior
Rear coilovers, 220lb I think
Beefy front tbars/sway, not sure of diameters
Good side shift tranny, top 3 gears shorter
Relatively stock motor in car, dual webers, kerry hunter headers, open exhaust
2 sets panasport wheels, 6.5” and 7”. 205/60/15 One set with BFG R1s, 1 set with 205/50/15 Hoosier R3S03 with lots of life left. Spacers included

No heat (headers), no radio of course
Corner balanced and aligned

All major rust areas look great, hell hole is perfect. A little rust under passenger side long. Floors are solid. Both door gaps are close up top, doors close firmly though. Maybe from cage install.

Stock brakes, race pads

EXTRAS:

Race 2.0 motor runs on street gas. engine dyno 140hp. Head work, light flywheel, dual weber 40s. tuned and ready to install in car. (can you guys check out the engine pics, serial #s, etc and tell me what u think looks stock vs modified?)

Equal length 4-2-1 headers into flowmaster. $$ item

Stock geared 901 tranny
glass rear window, need to cut a lexan one
Driver side window glass. i dont need a net.
Engine rain tray, just in case.
Passenger side wiper arm
Driver side mirror

I'm going to pickup my new purchase on Thursday!! I'm so excited! The biggest decision will be method of transporting it to events. Do I keep it as is and trailer it(need to buy trailer and look into a place to keep the car, indoors preferably)? OR do i make it somewhat street legal and go with Hagerty insurance?

A few things need to be taken care of, but if I learned anything in this quest it is that rust is not repairable… but latches and little quirks and whatnot are. So far everything looks great. Hope you enjoy the pics! --Yarin
jd74914
Sweet Car. smilie_pokal.gif I really like the Panasports wub.gif
Verruckt
QUOTE (yarin @ Apr 26 2005, 07:41 PM)

...but if I learned anything in this quest it is that rust is not repairable…

My god, you must be a masochist lol2.gif
yarin
QUOTE (Verruckt @ Apr 26 2005, 06:10 PM)
QUOTE (yarin @ Apr 26 2005, 07:41 PM)

...but if I learned anything in this quest it is that rust is not repairable…

My god, you must be a masochist lol2.gif

Hehehe... i dealt with way too many owners claiming their car is rust free and whatnot. A quick poke around proves otherwise. But seriously.. don't claim your car is rust free if i can see the pavement through the trunk. headbang.gif

Yea the panasports are nice, i'm pretty happy about that part of the deal too. As most of you know Tirerack is having a sale on Hoosier A3S04s, dirt cheap! I heard plenty of people complain that they wear out too quickly. Comments? I guess I should give the R1s and R3S03s a shot first. beerchug.gif
Joe Ricard
Holy crap you stole my car!!!! it is a spitin image. Maybe a little nicer. Well maybe alot nicer but Hey Yellow is faster and White dots mueba.gif pray.gif mueba.gif ROCK mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif
jim912928
Welcome aboard the Insane Express!!! lol

Nice car!
SGB
It looks to be a perfect track car as it is. I think other than driving to a fairly close track, you would get tired of the, um, raw-ness. But that is exactly what you want for AX events (Hey look- I'm really only guessing... mine is a street car driven by someone with street driving level skills, but I would love to have a 914 I could push hard and learn how to drive!), without having to build it yourself. biggrin.gif
yarin
QUOTE (SGB @ Apr 26 2005, 06:39 PM)
It looks to be a perfect track car as it is. I think other than driving to a fairly close track, you would get tired of the, um, raw-ness. But that is exactly what you want for AX events (Hey look- I'm really only guessing... mine is a street car driven by someone with street driving level skills, but I would love to have a 914 I could push hard and learn how to drive!), without having to build it yyourself. biggrin.gif

I wish I could say that I payed close attention to everything you wrote in your reply, but my eyes kept drifting over to your avatar every other word. rocking nana.gif

Anyhow... my goal in this whole purchase is to buy a car that i can autox and track. I didn't want to end up buying a stock car and dumping money into it if I can find something already setup and proven.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I can't wait to get it home in my garage.

Time to let the addiction grow!! monkeydance.gif
seanery
sweet dude!

Nice Find. driving.gif
Lou W
Very nice. wub.gif
nebreitling
QUOTE (yarin @ Apr 26 2005, 05:41 PM)

Race 2.0 motor runs on street gas. engine dyno 140hp. Head work, light flywheel, dual weber 40s. tuned and ready to install in car.

very nice score... smilie_pokal.gif you did well. you should probably be a bit dubious about the 140hp claim. out of two liters, that's going to take a very modified motor that i can't imagine would run on anything but race gas. still, very nice!
yarin
Thanks fellas!

I'm going to have to wait till Monday to pick it up. However that won't stop me from sitting on top my the engine i took home and making 'vroooom 'vrooom noises!

boldblue.gif
yarin
Damn... i don't get to pickup my 914 till monday wacko.gif

Someone tell me i'll live till then without it...
Flat VW
sharp car,

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.